5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it UConnect that constantly sends data to Dodge or something else?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for this post.

The opt out of "certain things" is good, it's the things you can't opt out of.

The 2,700 page infrastructure bill includes a provision to collect automobile telemetric data that is collected by auto-makers. This is just an example of where some of your data goes. As mentioned in a previous post, intelligence agencies also collect internet data. If you have voice interfaced devices and services then your voice is digitized and sent over the internet and collected. Voice interfaces are always listening.

Some people have no problems with the loss of their privacy and violations of their rights. That is their prerogative. Some willingly put active listening devices in their homes, offices and automobiles. These devices, like the Amazon's Alexa devices or Google devices, that are "connected" and always listening, digitizing voice and transmitting voice data over the internet to the service provider 24/7.

I choose to protect my privacy as much as reasonably possible.

Its interesting when people who willingly give up their privacy rights mock the people who actually try to protect their privacy rights.
I don’t know what else to tell you, other than I think you bought the wrong vehicle.

DTN

Reaction score
I miss the old days when communication was simpler, private and cheaper!

I don’t know what else to tell you, other than I think you bought the wrong vehicle.
I didn't but the truck for the uconnect system. All newer automobiles have similar capabilities whether they tell you are not. I bought the truck for it's other capabilities that I do need and very happy with. I will find a way to temporarily disable the connected services from transmitting data. At first thought a electronic and probably wireless RF switch inline with the antenna cable would work.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't but the truck for the uconnect system. All newer automobiles have similar capabilities whether they tell you are not. I bought the truck for it's other capabilities that I do need and very happy with it. I will find a way to temporarily disable the connected services from transmitting data.
Simple then, remove the radio.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That would not be temporary. A electronic RF switch would be temporary.
Unplugging or interrupting the antenna only slows down the signal. When I was testing the 12” radio that I transplanted in my truck, it received an OTA update before I even installed any of the antennas. Only way is the radio itself, or the wireless card inside the radio.

DTN

Reaction score
Unplugging or interrupting the antenna only slows down the signal. When I was testing the 12” radio that I transplanted in my truck, it received an OTA update before I even installed any of the antennas. Only way is the radio itself, or the wireless card inside the radio.
That's interesting. Sounds like a unterminated coax acted as the antenna. A properly terminated cable would probably not.

Last edited:

Raydar

Reaction score
Okay... so my 8.4 non-nav radio has two antennas. Broadcast and XM. (Which the XM antenna would probably work for GPS, too, if I had nav. Or maybe not.)
So how is this thing supposedly transmitting? And to what? I really have my doubts.
And an OTA upgrade, if it even can be received, can be transmitted as a broadcast, in batches, by commercial radio stations and get picked up randomly. (Similar to the XM disconnect commands.)
No way one of these radios is going to be able to transmit a usable handshake without an antenna attached.
If nothing else, look for a long string of numbers on a label on the radio. If it has an "IMEI" it has a cellular transmitter. If not? Doubtful. It should at least have an FCC Type Acceptance number, if it has any kind of transmitter in it.
(As for my background, I'm an FCC licensed RF tech/analyst with 40 years of experience. Currently working with encrypted wireless comm links for substations and smart meters for the power company. My point is, I think you guys are giving your radios way too much credit.)

Edit - After reading the Secure Gateway link, I'm still not convinced.
There are many of us that are using AlfaOBD to reprogram our BCMs to turn on features that we have installed (like trailer brake controllers) that we would otherwise have to pay a FCA dealer to enable. This also requires a SGW (Security Gateway) bypass module. Fair enough.
BUT... in order for anyone on the "outside" to gain access to anything, it would require either a Bluetooth dongle to be plugged into the OBD port (with the SGW bypass also installed) or for the "Wifi hotspot" in the U-Connect to be turned on. (I'm STILL not sure how that access would be made, but it's probably safe to say that if someone can connect, they can get in and look around.)
Or maybe, if your phone has been hacked, and you have it paired with your truck. But that's a whole 'nother issue altogether.
Point still is... your radio is not going to "phone home", and give away all the family secrets. It will take a concerted effort, and a measure of dumb luck, for someone to grab your data, through the u-connect. And it won't happen proactively from your end.

Last edited:

DTN

Reaction score
We were discussing the data collected and stored from connected vehicle technologies and telematics services. Has nothing to do with the radio. Law enforcement agencies have been accessing such data for law enforcement purposes like GPS tracking data. As technology advances so do these systems and now voice data is collected and stored. If you have a connected vehicle with an Alexa type service then your vehicle has this capability because voice data is transmitted and collected for the Alexa type service to work. An Alexa type system is "always listening" for commands to act on. The question is how secure is your data and who has access to it and for what reasons. Corporations have been collecting personal data and selling it for a long time. Its very big business.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it has an "IMEI" it has a cellular transmitter.
My 8.4 nav. has a cellular connection... But without an antenna it would be pretty useless.
The WiFi hot spot is password protected, not sure how secure that is.

Last edited:

Raydar

Reaction score
My 8.4 nav. has a cellular connection... But without an antenna it would be pretty useless.
The WiFi hot spot is password protected, not sure how secure that is.

I seem to remember that the nav radios also have (or at least it's available) FCA's equivalent of OnStar. Whateverthehell it's called.
It would almost have to use a cellular connection. Is there an unused antenna connector on the radio? If not, I could picture it being built into the "shark fin". Cellular doesn't require much of an antenna at the frequencies where it operates. 3" or less, for basic cell channels. The higher frequencies used for some of the newer services require even smaller antennas.

Edit - I may be misunderstanding your "cellular connection" comment. My non-nav 8.4 also connects to my phone. Uses my contacts, recent calls, etc. Even reads my incoming texts to me.
But even though it uses the microphones and speakers in the truck, the actual call is still made with the cell phone. NOT by any other cellphone link incorporated into the truck radio.

Regarding the "telematics" data that DTN alluded to...
Yeah. All that stuff - operational parameters, including speed, throttle, steering, brakes, etc - is funneled to the SRS (airbag) module. I think all that is saved is the last 20-30 seconds before a crash event. Everything else is overwritten. At least that's how it was commonly done, before. Still not so sure about voice. That might present a problem...
I'm not sure what the "letter of the law" says about accessing that data, after a crash. It used to require a court order.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 8.4C Nav. has an actual 4G connection thru AT&T. USD20.00 per month for 20 GB of data.
edit: Nothing to do with my Verizon phone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread