5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to upgrade suspension to improve towing/weight capacity?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Well you can adjust the hitch weight, as noted prior, by adding more weight to the back of the garage which will leverage the hitch weight lower (lighter). Why would you want to have a screaming engine, running in the lower gears to pull that kinda of weight up any grade you come across, even 4% will have you looking for the right gear. Its an expensive proposition to now go and buy a 2500, but you should have gone that route before you bought the 1500. Yes you can pull that weight if adjusted, but you'll hate the drive.

mikes ram

Reaction score
Have a 2020 1500 Bighorn, 4x2, 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 axle ratio so i can haul some good weight right now but I do have a toy hauler that I believe is near maximum as far as tongue weight and rear axle capacity. Can I upgrade the suspension to allow for more payload/ tongue weight ?
E rated tires and air bags will help, however you still have a light duty suspension and BREAKS, be careful and error on the side of caution.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’d skip the 3/4 ton and go straight to a 3500. It’s about the same price, but you’ll get soooo much more payload capacity.

Cheers,

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’d skip the 3/4 ton and go straight to a 3500. It’s about the same price, but you’ll get soooo much more payload capacity.

Cheers,
Agreed. A lot of the 2500s don't have great payload once you start adding things like a Cummins. The power wagon has worse payload than a 1500

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
E rated tires and air bags will help, however you still have a light duty suspension and BREAKS, be careful and error on the side of caution.

Never seen a vehicle that has these. Mine has BRAKES :ROFLMAO: :p

Users who are viewing this thread