5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is FCA lying to me about the gas tank I ordered?

bjevers

Reaction score
I ordered a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab in October and received it in November. I order the 5.7 Hemi with eTorque. I also ordered the 26 gallon fuel tank as it was a free upgrade from the 23 gallon. My build sheet from the dealer shows they ordered the 26 gallon tank, but I received a 23 gallon tank. When I contacted Ram Customer Service about this mix up, this is the reason they gave me:

"While this vehicle configuration is equipped standard with a 26 gallon fuel tank, the selection of the optional 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine comes included with the 23 Gallon Fuel Tank. This feature is part of the engine selection, will override the standard equipment, and cannot be removed. "

If this is true, they better fix their website, because I built my Ram on there and it most certainly is an option to add the 26 or even a 33 gallon tank. And 23 gallon is standard, not 26.

My dealer is taking care of me though, they said they will install a 26 gallon tank for me at their expense. They said FCA won't pay for it.

So what I want to confirm is if anyone on here has a 5.7 Hemi eTorque with a 26 gallon tank.

Thanks...Brian

I’m curious also as to what you find as I have a 23 gallon tank and I’m still dumbfounded that trucks these large come with tanks this small.

Adding the larger tank, will it screw up your distance to empty readout? Not a huge deal but I wouldn't let the dealer screw around with factory installed items unless absolutely necessary, not for 3 extra gallons.

Adding the larger tank, will it screw up your distance to empty readout? Not a huge deal but I wouldn't let the dealer screw around with factory installed items unless absolutely necessary, not for 3 extra gallons.
By adding sales code to vin should rectify that problem I would imagine.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I know some of the etorque equipped models came with the 23 gallon tank on the 2019’s but the higher trims came with the 26 gallon tank. Not sure of the rhyme or reason on the 2020’s.

I ordered a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab in October and received it in November. I order the 5.7 Hemi with eTorque. I also ordered the 26 gallon fuel tank as it was a free upgrade from the 23 gallon. My build sheet from the dealer shows they ordered the 26 gallon tank, but I received a 23 gallon tank. When I contacted Ram Customer Service about this mix up, this is the reason they gave me:

"While this vehicle configuration is equipped standard with a 26 gallon fuel tank, the selection of the optional 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine comes included with the 23 Gallon Fuel Tank. This feature is part of the engine selection, will override the standard equipment, and cannot be removed. "

If this is true, they better fix their website, because I built my Ram on there and it most certainly is an option to add the 26 or even a 33 gallon tank. And 23 gallon is standard, not 26.

My dealer is taking care of me though, they said they will install a 26 gallon tank for me at their expense. They said FCA won't pay for it.

So what I want to confirm is if anyone on here has a 5.7 Hemi eTorque with a 26 gallon tank.

Thanks...Brian

I do.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I figured what they were telling me was not true.

My dad ordered a Longhorn 5.7 hemi with e-torque and 33 gallon tank. It shows the 33 gallon tank on his build sheet. The truck is in transit now, expected to arrive at the dealership next week. I’ll report back after it arrives.

I have a 2020 Laramie with eTorgue and the 5.7 it has the 26 gallon tank.
I have a 2020 limited and I don’t know what’s the size of my tank because I normally fill up with 23
Don’t know if there’s another 3 in reserve or do you fill up yours with 26 exact ??

My dad ordered a Longhorn 5.7 hemi with e-torque and 33 gallon tank. It shows the 33 gallon tank on his build sheet. The truck is in transit now, expected to arrive at the dealership next week. I’ll report back after it arrives.
33 Is different than the 23\26... If you paid for the 33, you'll get 33. i also have the eTorque with 33G tank.

I opened a new ticket with Ram Customer care pointing out that other customers had recevied 26 or 33 gallon tanks on their 5.7 Hemi with eTorque and this is the reply I received:

"Thank you for contacting Ram Customer Assistance and asking about your previous email. I researched this and the previous agent had advised you of accurate information. When the 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine option was chosen it comes included with the 23 Gallon Fuel Tank. This is not something that can be changed. I apologize the answer is not what you are hoping for.

At this time I will be closing this case but thank you again for your email. "

They closed my ticket right away so I can't even reply and attach a PDF showing a window sticker with an eTorque and 26 gallon tank.

I opened a new ticket with Ram Customer care pointing out that other customers had recevied 26 or 33 gallon tanks on their 5.7 Hemi with eTorque and this is the reply I received:

"Thank you for contacting Ram Customer Assistance and asking about your previous email. I researched this and the previous agent had advised you of accurate information. When the 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT eTorque Engine option was chosen it comes included with the 23 Gallon Fuel Tank. This is not something that can be changed. I apologize the answer is not what you are hoping for.

They closed my ticket right away so I can't even reply and attach a PDF showing a window sticker with an eTorque and 26 gallon tank.

It's true that one options overrides the other. My monroney says "5 inch touch screen", but then under optional equipment it is overriden by the 8 inch.

Standard equipment is 26 gallon, when you add etorque that overrides it so then you get the 23 gallon, unless you then override that by explicitly choosing 33.

According to the specifications section on the Ram website, quad cabs come standard with 23-gallon tanks, while crew cabs come standard with 26-gallon tanks.

To your point, if I attempt to build a Laramie 4x4 with HEMI eTorque online, I see the "standard" tank shows as 23 gallons. There is a $0 option for the 26-gallon tank, but that option requires the Laramie Level 2 package ($4,895). I'm guessing you don't have the Level 2 package.

I have a Longhorn, so I didn't know about this limitation on the Laramie. It looks even more strange on a Lone Star / Big Horn, as selecting the 26-gallon option forces you to switch from the HEMI eTorque to the V6 eTorque!

Thanks for sharing. I guess most folks will just want to select the 33-gallon tank and be done with it!

The $0 options are there to override the other options, like the transmission, they go for the same price but the site will automatically choose the right one for the engine you want.
You choose 5.7L HEMI and you can get the 26G, you choose the 5.7L HEMI with eTorque and it will change to 23G.(Unless you go with the 33G upgrade, which you can get)

Why, in their infinite wisdom, would they make it so that adding the e-torque automatically switches the standard tank size from 26 to 23? That's ludicrous. I see no noticeable improvement in fuel economy with the e-torque. In fact, my current 2020 Laramie (with e-torque) gets almost 2mpg less than my 2017 Rebel did. So not only is my effective fuel range reduced because of the worse fuel economy, it's further reduced by the smaller fuel tank. I was too worried about other options when I was shopping for a truck, and didn't pay enough attention to the size of the fuel tank. Guess I learned my lesson for next time. In the end, it's not really that big of a deal for everyday use. I'll just have to fuel up more often. But for those times that I decide to use the truck for long drives, or worse, tow on a long drive, I'll have to plan my trip around fuel stops. And maybe carry a couple extra fuel cans on those trips, just in case.

Just out of curiosity, how did you learn that you had the 23 gallon tank? Just run it close to empty and fill it up? I an soon taking delivery of a 2020 Laramie (5.7 eTorque), and my build sheet says 26 gallons. I also have the level 2 package. we will see when it gets here.

Just out of curiosity, how did you learn that you had the 23 gallon tank? Just run it close to empty and fill it up? I an soon taking delivery of a 2020 Laramie (5.7 eTorque), and my build sheet says 26 gallons. I also have the level 2 package. we will see when it gets here.

Deduction. I've never been able to add more than about 19 gallons, even when the DTE said I had under 20 miles left. In my Rebel (4th gen), the most I was able to add was 22 gallons when the tank read empty, and it had a 26 gallon tank. I would expect to be able to add about 22 gallons when empty if I had a 26 gallon tank in my Laramie.

Edit: Just realized I can look that up on my build sheet. Confirmed, I have a 23 gallon fuel tank. :mad:

Last edited:
Yes sadly I should have looked also as I realized I also have 23 gallon. For those long trips, it does become readily a pain in the butt lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back