5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Dealer blowing smoke up my *** . Need help

boxman

Reaction score
Are you saying the Iphone worked the way you expected it to?
If that's the case, I wonder if there is a software issue with Android.
Out of curiosity, what version of Android are you running on your phone?
I didn't get much time to mess with the truck with his IPhone attached. So I really didn't get to check functionality . But as soon as he paired his phone,, a push of the VR button got a female sounding voice posing a question, which I don't remember content of the query. Unless Apple Carplay connects immediately, upon pairing. The salesman wasn't too tech savvy with my questions.
My phone is Samsung S10e, Android. Software version 12. I've had phone 2 1/2 years. When I first contacted Ram Care, the tech looked up my phone and said that Uconnect was listed as compatible thru Andoid version 6. So could be a software issue....?

Last edited:

boxman

Reaction score
I tested yesterday. Hold it down for Siri or quick tap to access Uconnect. I was able to lower temperature with voice. 🤷‍♂️
Tinshield, were you using Siri or Uconnect for the temperature controls? Pease see my resent previous posts regarding my dealer experience. Thanks

Tinshield

Reaction score
Tinshield, were you using Siri or Uconnect for the temperature controls? Pease see my resent previous posts regarding my dealer experience. Thanks
Uconnect. Siri can't control the vehicle stuff.

boxman

Reaction score
Thanks Tinshield.
Which Uconnect do you have? 8.4 with or without nav, or the 12? You describe exactly what I was expecting mine to do.

Conch007

Reaction score
I have a newly purchased 2022 Bighorn with 8.4 without Nav.
My problem. The phone and voice recognition buttons on steering wheel don't do anything except answer incoming call or hang up phone. No voice prompts.. The VR does not give me a voice prompt. Just silence. Now my old 2013 Bighorn did give a voice prompt and would place a phone call by my voice prompts.
Tried calling Uconnect. After a lot of suggestions, they said to take to dealer.Dealer checked system and said that those buttons only work if I hook up Android Auto (AA) with my phone.
They do function if AA is enabled and connected. But shouldn't Uconnect function without AA being activated?
Also told only text messages only work if connected to AA?
Are they right about this or just avoiding my problem?
Thanks for any input.
I have apple with mine and it works with all the functions you listed

610SRTGang

Reaction score
Thanks Tinshield.
Which Uconnect do you have? 8.4 with or without nav, or the 12? You describe exactly what I was expecting mine to do.
The 8.4 no nav doesn't have the voice recognition you are looking for. only the 8.4 nav and 12 inch have it.

So the only voice system that will work is siri or android auto as long as it is connected.

Starlight

Reaction score
I didn't get much time to mess with the truck with his IPhone attached. So I really didn't get to check functionality . But as soon as he paired his phone,, a push of the VR button got a female sounding voice posing a question, which I don't remember content of the query. Unless Apple Carplay connects immediately, upon pairing. The salesman wasn't too tech savvy with my questions.
My phone is Samsung S10e, Android. Software version 12. I've had phone 2 1/2 years. When I first contacted Ram Care, the tech looked up my phone and said that Uconnect was listed as compatible thru Andoid version 6. So could be a software issue....?

--- 8.4 No-Nav Specific ---

I've been fighting the same problems described in this thread.

8.4 No-Nav Voice Commands don't work, Text Message Reception doesn't work

I'm amazed there isn't an outcry among buyers. My build sheet lists "XRB Integrated Voice Command with Bluetooth". Note: "Integrated" - that means built in, not via external software like Android Auto.

I've seen a couple of forum postings that say that 8.4 no-Nav doesn't get voice but can't find any official documentation that says that. The closest I've found is a UConnect help page that describes the VR button that calls out Nav and no-Nav differently and doesn't list anything for the VR button on no-Nav. Listing nothing for the VR button on no-Nav is incorrect as that button will call up Android assistant software or Android auto depending on what is enabled on the attached phone.

I can live without the voice commands, mostly use that to change radio stations, but it is really irritating that I can't get text message notifications. I tried Android Auto but that doesn't help, no notifications unless an Android Auto screen is up and Android Auto runs up my phone bill really fast since it is hard to disable pulling map data without disabling mapping entirely which is the only useful thing in it for me.

If anybody has figured out how to get text message notifications reliably, I'd love to hear about it.

Users who are viewing this thread