5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Dealer blowing smoke up my *** . Need help

boxman

Reaction score
I have a newly purchased 2022 Bighorn with 8.4 without Nav.
My problem. The phone and voice recognition buttons on steering wheel don't do anything except answer incoming call or hang up phone. No voice prompts.. The VR does not give me a voice prompt. Just silence. Now my old 2013 Bighorn did give a voice prompt and would place a phone call by my voice prompts.
Tried calling Uconnect. After a lot of suggestions, they said to take to dealer.Dealer checked system and said that those buttons only work if I hook up Android Auto (AA) with my phone.
They do function if AA is enabled and connected. But shouldn't Uconnect function without AA being activated?
Also told only text messages only work if connected to AA?
Are they right about this or just avoiding my problem?
Thanks for any input.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My vr button doesn't do much either. I tried to use it to change the satellite radio station, the button does nothing.

Tinshield

Reaction score
I use it with CarPlay to access Siri but never used it on it's own.

NCBACKCOUNTRY

Reaction score
you should have voice prompts when pushing the middle VR button. the red button is only to hang up. the green is to answer phone call AND it should pull up the phone stuff on radio. the middle button is VR.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
If I tap VR I can tell the truck to do various things such as changing the temperature or radio stations. Holding it longer activates Siri. That said I activated ‘hey Ram’ instead so I just have to say those words out loud followed by what I want done like temp change or whatever.

boxman

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input.
As NCBACKCOUNTRY and Rebel22 both explained, that is what I was expecting. So will pursue with Ram and dealer again. Found a Bighorn description on Ram's website that even says " Voice activated audio controls".

Bassman

Reaction score
I have the same system as the OP in a 22 Laramie.
My VR button does not give me voice prompts if I push it. It will activate Bixby (Samsungs version of Siri).
I also cannot get it to notify me when I receive a text message.
AA seems to work correctly. Uconnect has been worthless to this point.
I took it to the dealer and they act like it is working normally.
If I tap VR I can tell the truck to do various things such as changing the temperature or radio stations. Holding it longer activates Siri. That said I activated ‘hey Ram’ instead so I just have to say those words out loud followed by what I want done like temp change or whatever.
Could you, please, explain how you activated the "hey Ram" feature? TIA

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wonder if this is another victim of the chip shortage

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I have the same system as the OP in a 22 Laramie.
My VR button does not give me voice prompts if I push it. It will activate Bixby (Samsungs version of Siri).
I also cannot get it to notify me when I receive a text message.
AA seems to work correctly. Uconnect has been worthless to this point.
I took it to the dealer and they act like it is working normally.

Could you, please, explain how you activated the "hey Ram" feature? TIA
In Uconnect5 choose
Vehicle then
settings then
Voice then
Wake up word then
Choose from off (default), hey ram or hey uconnect.

boxman

Reaction score
Thanks Rebel2022
I searched through all my settings and couldn't find anything regarding voice. Do you have the 8.4 no nav?
Would it be possible to post a picture of the screens?

I wonder if this is another victim of the chip shortage
Scram1500 may be on to something....

Last edited:

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Thanks Rebel2022
I searched through all my settings and couldn't find anything regarding voice. Do you have the 8.4 no nav?
Would it be possible to post a picture of the screens?

Scram1500 may be on to something....
Mine is 12” with nav. Here are some photos of the screens.

Attachments

• 71A005CB-DD00-46E7-AFDA-C5A912FCD688.jpeg
    71A005CB-DD00-46E7-AFDA-C5A912FCD688.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 214C98B8-B8D1-4184-A89D-93901786E9E4.jpeg
    214C98B8-B8D1-4184-A89D-93901786E9E4.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 33

boxman

Reaction score
Rebel2022,
Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful. I was in correct settings, but those screen prompts are not on mine. The other menu items such as DISPLAY, MY PROFILE, etc. are there. So maybe they dropped that on 8.4 ...?

610SRTGang

Reaction score
If I remember correctly you only get voice prompts on 8.4 navy and 12 inch. I will play with a truck we have in stock to verify for you. I know the base radio definitely doesn’t use the wake up word at all.

Tinshield

Reaction score
I tested yesterday. Hold it down for Siri or quick tap to access Uconnect. I was able to lower temperature with voice. 🤷‍♂️

boxman

Reaction score
If I remember correctly you only get voice prompts on 8.4 navy and 12 inch. I will play with a truck we have in stock to verify for you. I know the base radio definitely doesn’t use the wake up word at all.
Thanks. That would be very helpful. The Bighorn standard equip spec spells out "VOICE ACTIVATED AUDIO". That's what keeps making think that I should at least be able to get a response.

I tested yesterday. Hold it down for Siri or quick tap to access Uconnect. I was able to lower temperature with voice. 🤷‍♂️
I can get Android Auto to respond like Siri. But can't get Uconnect. No responses. I even disconnected Android Auto and tried. Just silence. Short push, long push, frustrated push, nothing. Have done the resets, both radio and the reset to default a few times.

I'm already bald, so can't even pull my hair out on this one! LOL

Bassman

Reaction score
Right there with you, boxman.
My system behaves the exact same way as yours.
Frustrating....

boxman

Reaction score
Right there with you, boxman.
My system behaves the exact same way as yours.
Frustrating....

I stopped at a Ram dealership over the weekend. Found a 2022 Bighorn with 8.4 Uconnect and without the nav.
Nice young salesman was willing to let me check out the system. Well, the Voice Recognition button didn't do anything, just like my truck. Screen message said "no phone paired". Salesman had me pair my phone (Android). Still didn't do anything. So he paired his Apple phone and when VR pressed, we did get a voice response. So, based on this, I guess only way for me to use VR is to have the Android Auto feature activated on uconnect and my phone. When this is activated, I can voice call, use Google nav thru Uconnect, but VR won't recognize commands for changing radio or any other settings.
I didn't waste anymore of his time to check the VR on an 8.4 with navigation, or a 12.
Still going to follow up with Uconnect/or Ram Cares why the Big Horn standard features say voice actuated audio controls, which, to me means voice to tune radio, etc.

Bassman

Reaction score
I stopped at a Ram dealership over the weekend. Found a 2022 Bighorn with 8.4 Uconnect and without the nav.
Nice young salesman was willing to let me check out the system. Well, the Voice Recognition button didn't do anything, just like my truck. Screen message said "no phone paired". Salesman had me pair my phone (Android). Still didn't do anything. So he paired his Apple phone and when VR pressed, we did get a voice response. So, based on this, I guess only way for me to use VR is to have the Android Auto feature activated on uconnect and my phone. When this is activated, I can voice call, use Google nav thru Uconnect, but VR won't recognize commands for changing radio or any other settings.
I didn't waste anymore of his time to check the VR on an 8.4 with navigation, or a 12.
Still going to follow up with Uconnect/or Ram Cares why the Big Horn standard features say voice actuated audio controls, which, to me means voice to tune radio, etc.
Are you saying the Iphone worked the way you expected it to?
If that's the case, I wonder if there is a software issue with Android.
Out of curiosity, what version of Android are you running on your phone?

Users who are viewing this thread