5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Android Auto really that wonky?

Bradleys

Reaction score
I have an iphone - I purchased the truck and plugged in the iphone for the drive home and carplay just popped on the screen... No configuration, no app to download.

So last weekend a buddy and I had to take a three + hour run and I told him to plug in his Android so we could see the difference - we had three hours, so why not?

Plugs it in, nothing. Realizes he needs to download the app, nothing. Sits and works through all the configuration screens, nothing. Google and Youtube videos, we never did get it to work...

Android is not new for this guy and he writes software for a living and never did get the damn thing to respond. He needed a new phone anyway, so it just gave him the impetus to order a new one, but it absolutely blows my mind that this is such a configuration nightmare for Android Auto.

RJS

Reaction score
Downloaded the Android App on my Pixel 3a XL yesterday and plugged it into the USB hub on my 19 Laramie. The 12" recognized the phone and let me access it. I played some Spotify tunes, looked at my podcast app, Google maps and weather app that worked just fine. It only showed 1/2 screen so I don't know if I can make it a full screen.

I'll use it more the next few days to see what all I can find. The directions in the manual said the truck would download the app if it wasn't on my phone but it was so I don't know if it will or won't.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Bought my LoneStar just before Christmas. Plugged in the phone for the ride home...it paired the phone automatically and popped up AA (didn't know it was already installed on my phone)

I have not had the auto pairing with subsequent phones, but haven't had much issue getting them to work, either. Were you plugged in at the same time? I have had issues with my (primary) phone being plugged in and taking priority.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues with AA or CarPlay. My son and I even swap it back and fourth when we are on long rides. I plug in from the front, him the rear and the unit prompts which device I want to use.

R

Rob5589

No issues with mine but, I don't care for AA. I prefer a good ole Bluetooth connection.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
I have an iphone - I purchased the truck and plugged in the iphone for the drive home and carplay just popped on the screen... No configuration, no app to download.

So last weekend a buddy and I had to take a three + hour run and I told him to plug in his Android so we could see the difference - we had three hours, so why not?

Plugs it in, nothing. Realizes he needs to download the app, nothing. Sits and works through all the configuration screens, nothing. Google and Youtube videos, we never did get it to work...

Android is not new for this guy and he writes software for a living and never did get the damn thing to respond. He needed a new phone anyway, so it just gave him the impetus to order a new one, but it absolutely blows my mind that this is such a configuration nightmare for Android Auto.
I use both an iphone and a google pixle 2 (android). I HATE the android auto system unless you get really well versed in it. The apple carplay is just simpler to use and its what I use in my truck. Connectivity has never been an issue but I will say this, usually with the uConnect systems you need to use the OEM cable that your phone came with. Not an issue in a ford but its a uConnect licence issue. Its super irritating but is a reality in many of the FCA vehicles. I hope they work this out.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AAuto is a breeze - assuming you have the app preinstalled (which you need to do on either platform), I've reinstalled AAuto and been up and running before the A/C cooled down

Sounds like your friend wasn't using a current enough phone? Out of curiosity, what was the phone being used?

and a nod to above; I can have my iphone and android both plugged in and even swap between CarPlay and AAuto through the connected devices screen - just a few taps and it's done - really really simple

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only issue I had was my phone is a little old LG V20 and the UBS-C connector is a little worn and it would disconnect if I hit a bump or what not. The software itself worked great.

This is of course assuming you downloaded the App first.

AndreiV

Reaction score
No problems here on 8.4 non-nav with Samsung S9+ and Samsung S10e. Had issues with LG G5 disconnecting - due to bad LG USB-C plug.

Custompainter99

Reaction score
Mine is hit or miss. sometimes it connects and sometimes it dosnt. I thought it was the cable at first. Went out and bought a genuine Samsung cable to work with my S8+. It worked for a couple of days. now it dosnt...GRRRR

Rototerrier

Reaction score
If your buddy writes software, then none of this should even remotely come as a surprise.

If builders built houses the way programmers built programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. -- Gerald Weinberg

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Anyone else get a big update to AA today?
2bbf5f4af4a6cc764b0479a4c72b8506.jpg

sjsleuth

Reaction score

All about the usb cable

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Anyone else get a big update to AA today?
2bbf5f4af4a6cc764b0479a4c72b8506.jpg

Just got mine today. HUGE improvement! Love that you can see your texts in a list and transcribed then just tap and reply by voice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
On another note, I got the phone update today, now my night mode keeps turning itself off!

Users who are viewing this thread