5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is air suspension worth it?

CalgaryJohn87

Reaction score
I have Airide and live in Fort McMurray. Had the Airide go on me less than half way to my destination one time in the cold, had to drive 4 hours at 70km/hr because it felt like I had a 2x4 for suspension. I would not willingly get Airide in a vehicle for living where I am. Had it go out on me a couple times this past winter. Riding with no air suspension is a painful drive. This was in extreme cold tho, both times was high -30's and low -40's. Never an issue in the -20's, very comfortable ride in the Summertime.

truckless

Reaction score
I have Airide and live in Fort McMurray. Had the Airide go on me less than half way to my destination one time in the cold, had to drive 4 hours at 70km/hr because it felt like I had a 2x4 for suspension. I would not willingly get Airide in a vehicle for living where I am. Had it go out on me a couple times this past winter. Riding with no air suspension is a painful drive. This was in extreme cold tho, both times was high -30's and low -40's. Never an issue in the -20's, very comfortable ride in the Summertime.

That would be a ****ty ride :( Does the truck get parked in a heated garage? Cause we can get pretty damn cold in this province and I don't know of anything that doesn't appreciate a good thaw :)

I am now on my 4th truck with air suspension and all 4 parked in a heated garage, never an issue. My brother in law in Sherwood Park however, not so lucky. Froze up and blew multiple compressors from always being parked outside. (That was also a first iteration of the air suspension. The second the 5th gens orders opened he ordered one....without air....and is suffering more pitfalls of having the first batch of a new generation LOL)

All in all, it comes down to personal situations. Both routes have their merits. People just need to be informed and mindful of their situation and make the decision that is right for it.

BGL

Reaction score
When all is said and done, **** starts to break at -40.
Spring suspension also feels like riding a Costco shopping cart down the road when it's that cold out.
So with the sealed units now , less chance of the humidity issues freezing up, but always a chance the compressor or any other electric motor stops working that cold.
You can thank global warming.

BGL

Reaction score
What truck do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread