5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is air suspension worth it?

CanRebel

Reaction score
I off-road with my 2021 Rebel with Air, every weekend. Did first week I got it.
I'm not doing high speed, only cause if you hit 30 KM it lowers :)

I also have Rubicon.

I do plan on putting more lift on Truck. I purchased RC 5" for Air, just haven't put it on yet.

Kind of surprised I haven't broken the Air or Truck, been going places jeeps are scared to go.

BGL

Reaction score
When it gets really cold like it does in Canada, everything and I mean Everything, has a risk of breaks.

This morning its -34 C with -40C/-40F wind chill.

This, BY FAR, is the smoothest ride I have ever experienced in any vehicle at this temperature! I smile the whole time I drive this truck.
The only thing I will consider if I was hi-way driving at this temperature is I will disable Aero mode so it's not trying to speed adjust the height.

My 07 Laramie would feel like riding on gravel in a shopping cart today.
In the Rebel, the air ride makes it feel like I am floating over the road.

Only getting tire pressure alerts. Not surprising, as everything shrinks in this weather.

Except the moon is just as bright as the street lights this morning. PXL_20211217_135311711.jpg Screenshot_20211217-060710.jpg

Last edited:

BGL

Reaction score
Not sure about you, but my idea of off-roading in a $90,000 (Canadian) truck is going into the pasture to pop gophers. ;)
Anything else is using a hopped up already beat to **** truck not worth nearly that much lol
Agree with you fully. Even getting it dirty turns me off. lol
It is a good feeling to have a capable truck if you have to go off the road for a bit, or end up in deep mud or snow.
For bush trails, a SideBySide would be more my vehicle of choice. I would use my Ram to take it to the end of the road.

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When it gets really cold like it does in Canada, everything and I mean Everything, has a risk of breaks.

This morning its -34 C with -40C/-40F wind chill.

This, BY FAR, is the smoothest ride I have ever experienced in any vehicle at this temperature! I smile the whole time I drive this truck.
The only thing I will consider if I was hi-way driving at this temperature is I will disable Aero mode so it's not trying to speed adjust the height.

My 07 Laramie would feel like riding on gravel in a shopping cart today.
In the Rebel, the air ride makes it feel like I am floating over the road.

Only getting tire pressure alerts. Not surprising, as everything shrinks in this weather.

Except the moon is just as bright as the street lights this morning. View attachment 114030 View attachment 114034
Holy crap that's cold.

Since you have Air Ride up there in the Great White North, be sure to chime in from time to time if you can. It would be helpful to have experiences to compare with the 4th gen trucks.

Reactions: BGL

Sorceress21

Reaction score
I off-road with my 2021 Rebel with Air, every weekend. Did first week I got it.
I'm not doing high speed, only cause if you hit 30 KM it lowers :)

I also have Rubicon.

I do plan on putting more lift on Truck. I purchased RC 5" for Air, just haven't put it on yet.

Kind of surprised I haven't broken the Air or Truck, been going places jeeps are scared to go.

Just FYI, that RC kit doesn't actually fit the Rebel with Air Ride. Call them and ask them about it. I did, and was told they won't honor warrantee if you install it on a Rebel. Also been told by my local shop that RC kit will need some cutting and welding to make it work on a Rebel.

BDS just certified fitment on their 4" in lift for air-ride rebels 2019-2021. BDS is far superior than RC so you may want to consider that.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Just FYI, that RC kit doesn't actually fit the Rebel with Air Ride. Call them and ask them about it. I did, and was told they won't honor warrantee if you install it on a Rebel. Also been told by my local shop that RC kit will need some cutting and welding to make it work on a Rebel.

BDS just certified fitment on their 4" in lift for air-ride rebels 2019-2021. BDS is far superior than RC so you may want to consider that.

Another expert who claims one product is superior over another, with little to zero experience....

'certified'? ha meaningless dribble.
FYI, BDS already had 2019-2020 for Rebel and Air.
What they did or don't have is kit for 2021 Rebel with Air. As there are minor differences. I have not checked this month, but BDS has said they don't have
2021 Rebel kit yet, as they are waiting for outsource company to supply them parts....

Also, you don't seem to know much about BDS or RC kit.... newsflash... you have to cut stuff with either of them...
Go watch BDS install video... 18min mark, would be your clue.

Biggest difference between the kits, BDS kit can come with Fox 2 shocks for $300 more.
$2000+ price difference, I can afford to replace shocks....

Sorceress21

Reaction score
Another expert who claims one product is superior over another, with little to zero experience....

'certified'? ha meaningless dribble.
FYI, BDS already had 2019-2020 for Rebel and Air.
What they did or don't have is kit for 2021 Rebel with Air. As there are minor differences. I have not checked this month, but BDS has said they don't have
2021 Rebel kit yet, as they are waiting for outsource company to supply them parts....

Also, you don't seem to know much about BDS or RC kit.... newsflash... you have to cut stuff with either of them...
Go watch BDS install video... 18min mark, would be your clue.

Biggest difference between the kits, BDS kit can come with Fox 2 shocks for $300 more.
$2000+ price difference, I can afford to replace shocks....

breaking-news.png

Last edited:

ybnormal07

Reaction score
So air ride. Is it worth it. I think it really depends on how you plan to use the truck. I've owned both with and without the air ride, and the ride isn't all that much different imho. Maybe a bit smoother with the air ride, and I think it stays more level around corners, but it's a truck, so I'm not looking for this type of things when I purchase one.
If you are actually going to use your truck as a truck....for towing, hauling, etc, then the air ride is the right choice. It is self leveling so for towing and hauling, this is exactly what you want.
One of the things I have not seen in the posts are the utility benefits. I've a small farm with a number of creeks, and a number of culverts. Recently I had to replace a 36" x 10' culvert due to it rusting out and our horses weight was starting to penetrate (it was buried pretty shallow). I had loaned my tractor out, so rather than dig the think out, I ran a cable through it end to end, then hooked it to my rear hitch bracket. I lowered the air suspension down to it's lowest setting, then cinched the cable tight. I then raised the suspension to its highest setting and I couldn't believe it lifted the entire culvert along with about 4" of dirt on top right out of the ground! It didn't lift it much as the suspension travel is only a few inches, but it was enough to get it out of the suction of the muck and water it was sitting in. I was then able to rock it a bit to drag it out. Made it really easy to just roll the new culvert in place after that.
I've had zero issues with it to date after 5 years in NE weather. Pulling large heavy trailers is easy and being able to lower the bed down when loading grain or corn or putting on ramps for ATV's is also a big plus.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
So air ride. Is it worth it. I think it really depends on how you plan to use the truck. I've owned both with and without the air ride, and the ride isn't all that much different imho. Maybe a bit smoother with the air ride, and I think it stays more level around corners, but it's a truck, so I'm not looking for this type of things when I purchase one.
If you are actually going to use your truck as a truck....for towing, hauling, etc, then the air ride is the right choice. It is self leveling so for towing and hauling, this is exactly what you want.
One of the things I have not seen in the posts are the utility benefits. I've a small farm with a number of creeks, and a number of culverts. Recently I had to replace a 36" x 10' culvert due to it rusting out and our horses weight was starting to penetrate (it was buried pretty shallow). I had loaned my tractor out, so rather than dig the think out, I ran a cable through it end to end, then hooked it to my rear hitch bracket. I lowered the air suspension down to it's lowest setting, then cinched the cable tight. I then raised the suspension to its highest setting and I couldn't believe it lifted the entire culvert along with about 4" of dirt on top right out of the ground! It didn't lift it much as the suspension travel is only a few inches, but it was enough to get it out of the suction of the muck and water it was sitting in. I was then able to rock it a bit to drag it out. Made it really easy to just roll the new culvert in place after that.
I've had zero issues with it to date after 5 years in NE weather. Pulling large heavy trailers is easy and being able to lower the bed down when loading grain or corn or putting on ramps for ATV's is also a big plus.
For me, If you don't plan on lifting or modifying the suspension beyond lift links or a small level kit, air suspension was the way to go. If I did another Rebel, I would not do air suspension because I would put a long travel suspension on it and 37" tires. If I wasn't planning on doing that, I'd do an air suspension kit again.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me, If you don't plan on lifting or modifying the suspension beyond lift links or a small level kit, air suspension was the way to go. If I did another Rebel, I would not do air suspension because I would put a long travel suspension on it and 37" tires. If I wasn't planning on doing that, I'd do an air suspension kit again.
do they have a long travel kit for rebels?

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air ride is the dumbest thing ever invented for offroad vehicles. It's fine for hauling travel trailers and boats yada yada. But offroad is dumb. I was just getting an oil change at my local shop and the owner pointed at a 2018 rebel and told me it was going to be 5K to replace this guys destroyed air ride. Pass.

truckless

Reaction score
Air ride is the dumbest thing ever invented for offroad vehicles. It's fine for hauling travel trailers and boats yada yada. But offroad is dumb. I was just getting an oil change at my local shop and the owner pointed at a 2018 rebel and told me it was going to be 5K to replace this guys destroyed air ride. Pass.

Guess it depends on what you mean by offroad. I baby my truck. When I "offroad"....It is crawling slowly on some trail to get to a fishing hole etc...where there may be some dips and I want to jack her up to get that much extra clearance.

I get what you are saying if you wanna beat the **** out of your $70k+ truck....but for MY off-road purposes, it is just great. :)

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If he destroyed the air suspension, he maybe should have bought a TRX.

CanRebel

Reaction score

But you didn't actually say and/or prove the person was actually off-roading or what 'destroyed his air ride.

I have 10KM on my Rebel 2021 of just off-roading. I don't baby it all. I go places most of the jeeps in my group are scared to go.
No issues , so far with factory air.

We are driving in areas with steep hills/mountain sides with boulders. 3+ feet of water/logs/boulders. 1/2 mile of logs/water
As someone else mentioned above. If you are rock climbing up side of mountain or down. You are usually going very slowly
with a one or two spotters.

Only issue I have. It auto lowers if I drive over certain speed. Annoying when I'm racing the jeeps cause it keeps lowering at bad times.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't need to prove anything. If you're in the back country and one of those bladders blows out you are screwed. Yes anything can happen to any truck out there but why add to the possibilities. And like you said, it keeps lowering at the worst times. Just not smart for off road.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually saying "Air ride is the dumbest thing ever invented for offroad vehicles. It's fine for hauling travel trailers and boats yada yada." in the dumbest. It's fine to not want it for yourself, but don't be an a$$ about it. You don't want, don't buy it.

BGL

Reaction score
Actaully, air ride is the dumbest thing ever for off road.
Only if you are driving like you stole it.
A truck is like a woman, treat her with respect.
If your going to jump creeks and deep dive swamps, get a Power Wagon.
For the rest of us, air ride and self leveling is something I never want to give up for my daily driver.

Users who are viewing this thread