5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is air suspension really worth it ?

jscoc

Reaction score
is there really a drastic difference in the ride quality of the 2019s with and with out air suspension ?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Worth it? It's standard on the limited and for under $2000 Canadian dollars (like $100 US, lol) on other trims, if you're in a temperate climate all year, above zero... it's a no brainer. Ability to change the functionality of the ride, self leveling and the list goes on.

I think its worth it, in specific regions. If you're in the northern States or Canadian prairies, I'd think twice. It's very pricey once off warranty.

I'll have a detailed comparison once I get my coil equipped 19' Rebel next week to my air ride equipped 16'.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two vehicles with it (Jeep the 1st, this RAM the second) The jeep was pretty cool in theory but...the car doesn't sit up that high, no one is really doing any major off roading in it or towing much. The truck is a beast (in my vehicle history) and with the power running boards and in exit/entry mode, it makes getting in a breeze. I do plan on towing with this truck and will appreciate the auto leveling. AND...I hate blank switches so...definitely get the air ride lol

If you're talking about ride quality. I've heard (alexonautos) say the non air suspension ride was almost better, but most others say air ride is the best. I'd say that is largely the truck itself and little to do with the air ride. Cant go wrong

RT70808

Reaction score
is there really a drastic difference in the ride quality of the 2019s with and with out air suspension ?
Load leveling is great, like alwi I had it in my Jeep as well. Even my Jeep would load level when I hooked up the boat. As something fun, I disconnected my boat and made “a run to town for supplies” when I got back I told my buddies watch this... used the backup cam to line up the hitch, and raised my Jeep causing it to hitch up automatically. That was pretty cool. Lol.

paramehdic

Reaction score
Any comments on long term reliability of air suspension? Typically keep my vehicles 10+ years and hoping to avoid nightmare repair costs avoided to features that are nice but can't hold up long term. Same goes for power running boards vs stationary.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any comments on long term reliability of air suspension? Typically keep my vehicles 10+ years and hoping to avoid nightmare repair costs avoided to features that are nice but can't hold up long term. Same goes for power running boards vs stationary.
I have had my air suspension for 3+ years and 36,000 miles. I live in the Northeast. Gets plenty cold in the winter (I do keep it garaged) but no issues so far and I find it one of the best features of my truck besides the ever elusive RamBox

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Many comments have been made about the redesign of the 19's air system. I can only speak to my own experience with my 16'. The air system made it over 2 years, but into its 3rd winter completely failed and major components started to need replacing.

The reason I mention the supposed redesigned system is that if its still exposed under the rear of the truck bed and not inside the cab... unless Jesus himself designed it, it will fail in extreme cold.

South of the border, you'll grow old with your air ride Ram.

immersivenc

Reaction score

Buy the lifetime warranty and get it loaded. Love the air suspension on my Limited.

paramehdic

Reaction score
Don't think in Canada we have lifetime warranty options; in fact have been having issues finding pricing on extra warranty at all. Guess this information isn't posted.
Generally my vehicles don't have tremendous mileage. Currently have 06 Tribute with 130000km and 12 Quest with 32000

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Longest Ram warranty I've been quoted in Canada, is 8 year extended, but over laps the original 3... so it's only a 5 year extension. I think that was priced over $2k.

RT70808

Reaction score
Many comments have been made about the redesign of the 19's air system. I can only speak to my own experience with my 16'. The air system made it over 2 years, but into its 3rd winter completely failed and major components started to need replacing.

The reason I mention the supposed redesigned system is that if its still exposed under the rear of the truck bed and not inside the cab... unless Jesus himself designed it, it will fail in extreme cold.

South of the border, you'll grow old with your air ride Ram.
3yrs and 75,000 miles on my Grand Cherokee’s air suspension without a single problem, until a careless teenager pulled out in front of me while I was doing 55 on a two lane hwy. they fixed it, but 2 days later I was in my 19 limited

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Owning a ride with air suspension for 10+ years is certainly going to cost more down the road. I'd say the mainstream buyers for the higher equipped trucks aren't THAT far away from the buyers of the
3yrs and 75,000 miles on my Grand Cherokee’s air suspension without a single problem, until a careless teenager pulled out in front of me while I was doing 55 on a two lane hwy. they fixed it, but 2 days later I was in my 19 limited

woah woah woah...how'd YOU fare and how'd the jeep do?? lol cliffhanger!

RT70808

Reaction score
Owning a ride with air suspension for 10+ years is certainly going to cost more down the road. I'd say the mainstream buyers for the higher equipped trucks aren't THAT far away from the buyers of the

woah woah woah...how'd YOU fare and how'd the jeep do?? lol cliffhanger!
We all walked away w/o a scratch, the Jeep 15k in repairs and it was in the shop for a month, her 90’s Camry totaled with the drivers wheel folded under the front fender.

Users who are viewing this thread