5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irregular Ticking

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
I previously had issues with ticking which turned out to be broken bolts and a cracked manifold. I replaced with shorty headers and the problem was gone for a week or two. Now I have two new issues: a very rough idle/stall on cold starts when the temp has been in the 40's overnight, which only happens once per day and also an irregular tick. The tick from the original manifold issue was a continuous tick, tick, tick, tick, tick sound. What I'm hearing now is a tick, tick tick...pause...tick, tick...pause...tick, tick, tick.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing these new issues? I'm thinking the gasket for the headers may not be completely seated correctly and causing my rough start, but that's just a guess....This new ticking sound is also a head scratcher....

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is it for sure coming from under the hood ?
Could be that it the header bolts need to be retorqued . Or the exhaust flange that connects to the header ?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could be coming from lifters. I was just reading another members thread last night who thought the ticking was from an exhaust manifold leak, but ended up getting a new cam and lifters under warranty.

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
Could be coming from lifters. I was just reading another members thread last night who thought the ticking was from an exhaust manifold leak, but ended up getting a new cam and lifters under warranty.
I'm really hoping this is not the case. I'm not sure if they'll deny coverage now that I've installed shorty headers.

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
Is it for sure coming from under the hood ?
Could be that it the header bolts need to be retorqued . Or the exhaust flange that connects to the header ?
It's going back to the shop today for a retorquing of all the bolts on my lift kit. Since they also installed the headers, they'l retorque those bolts, as well. Fingers crossed that this takes care of the issue.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really hoping this is not the case. I'm not sure if they'll deny coverage now that I've installed shorty headers.
I hope that’s not the case also. Good luck getting everything retorqued, hopefully that fixes it

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
Shop tighten things down. They said my header bolts and come loose a bit. Seems to have taken care of the tick but I’m dealing with really rough starts and sputtering when I start the truck after it’s been sitting for over 12 hours.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Shop tighten things down. They said my header bolts and come loose a bit. Seems to have taken care of the tick but I’m dealing with really rough starts and sputtering when I start the truck after it’s been sitting for over 12 hours.
I saw a couple other threads earlier today talking about the same thing.

ReLLIK75

Reaction score
Ticking is back! Looks like I'm going to have to take it in to the dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread