5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPod Classic Compatibility

bjpatten

Reaction score
Apple stopped supporting the older connector last year. I ended up selling my 160GB iPod and went with the newest one that supports the lightning cable. If your iPod doesn't have the lightning cable it won't work. It won't work to update and download new songs either. I have a Gen 8 iPod and it works fine. Just don't have 160GB of songs anymore.

TristanDubois

Reaction score
Whew, made this account specifically to help you guys out with this one. (Ironically, I was searching to see how to add more RAM to the motherboard when I found this forum. Funny right?)

I see that @ptrnfan is still active so I'll give this a shot.

Everyone knows that Apple loves making a show about how "different™" they are from windows right? Well part of that is that they have a different file structure for storing media on the ipod. Usually the way that a truck's media systeml works is it simply reads whatever USB device is plugged in and pull the music from whatever directory it can see files. In this case, because you can't see the music (because of the file structure), it can't play it.

(if you want to see what I mean by this, try plugging the ipod into a computer and then access it through explorer rather than itunes and see if you can find any .mp3 files)

If you'd like to go back to using the ipod rather than the thumb stick, I would suggest using a program like Rockbox. It replaces Itunes and the original operating system on the ipod with a different one. Most of the time people use it to either improve the functionality of their device or to use it in unorthodox ways. In this case, using it with your truck, in other cases Audiophiles like it because it has a built in equalizer that they can change things like BASS and TREB. Essentially the ipod would work like a thumb drive when you load this on. It can also be removed at any time.

You'd plug it in.

Open the ipod when windows explorer detects it.

Then drag and drop your music into it like you would the thumb drive.

(Link to install process with pictures and instructions)

With the files being stored like this now, your truck should have no issues seeing the music through the USB connection. I personally don't own a RAM so I can't test it, but this is the basic function of their music player and should easily work with your ipod. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I can even help you with the process if you like.

I hope this helps you out!

Alan M

Reaction score
I purchased a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie 2 weeks ago. The new recall for the radio had not been done so I had to take it back the next day. My Ipod worked fine in the Aux port but when they did the recall it stopped working. I get the Device not supported error, did not before but now I do. My service advisor said to buy an aux cord and it will work fine, (smaller port). If the issue is the Ipod software why did it work before the recall?

jrr907

Reaction score
Here's a suggestion why not just put ur music on a USB Flash drive & use the Aux port #1 to play songs much simpler & no compatibility issue with external device connectivity with Uconnect..

Rebel43

Reaction score
Whew, made this account specifically to help you guys out with this one. (Ironically, I was searching to see how to add more RAM to the motherboard when I found this forum. Funny right?)

I see that @ptrnfan is still active so I'll give this a shot.

Everyone knows that Apple loves making a show about how "different™" they are from windows right? Well part of that is that they have a different file structure for storing media on the ipod. Usually the way that a truck's media systeml works is it simply reads whatever USB device is plugged in and pull the music from whatever directory it can see files. In this case, because you can't see the music (because of the file structure), it can't play it.

(if you want to see what I mean by this, try plugging the ipod into a computer and then access it through explorer rather than itunes and see if you can find any .mp3 files)

If you'd like to go back to using the ipod rather than the thumb stick, I would suggest using a program like Rockbox. It replaces Itunes and the original operating system on the ipod with a different one. Most of the time people use it to either improve the functionality of their device or to use it in unorthodox ways. In this case, using it with your truck, in other cases Audiophiles like it because it has a built in equalizer that they can change things like BASS and TREB. Essentially the ipod would work like a thumb drive when you load this on. It can also be removed at any time.

You'd plug it in.

Open the ipod when windows explorer detects it.

Then drag and drop your music into it like you would the thumb drive.

(Link to install process with pictures and instructions)

With the files being stored like this now, your truck should have no issues seeing the music through the USB connection. I personally don't own a RAM so I can't test it, but this is the basic function of their music player and should easily work with your ipod. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I can even help you with the process if you like.

I hope this helps you out!
My iPod Classic plays fine in my 2019 Rebel with the UAV radio. My issue is the CD player does not read the information on the disks. They play but you don’t see the tittle of the song or artists, just “UNKNOWN”!

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have the newest ipod classic. Had it plugged into my 19 Hemi that had the 8.4 without nav and it always worked fine. Now I plugged it into my 2020 Ecodiesel with 8.4nav and it says device not supported. Why would it work on the 8.4 non nav unit but not work on the 8.4 nav unit?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have the newest ipod classic. Had it plugged into my 19 Hemi that had the 8.4 without nav and it always worked fine. Now I plugged it into my 2020 Ecodiesel with 8.4nav and it says device not supported. Why would it work on the 8.4 non nav unit but not work on the 8.4 nav unit?

Did anyone ever figure this out? I could really use some help on this. It worked flawlessly on my 2019 8.4 non nav and immediately says device not supported on my 2020 8.4 with Nav. My iPod classic is in perfect shape and I have a lot of old music on there that I love listening to. I don’t want to use something different

ajkeence99

Reaction score
I have some experience with this. I have a 4th gen Nano that I've had for like 12 years.

• 2015 Challenger Scat Pack w/nav, it worked flawlessly.
  • 2017 Charger Daytona 392 w/nav, it worked flawlessly.
  • 2018 Charger Scat Pack w/nav, I had to unplug/plug it back in every time I wanted to use it.
  • 2020 Ram Big Horn w/out nav, it works flawlessly.

Is it possible that some newer versions of the nav are causing issues? It was the weirdest thing when it didn't work properly with my 18 Charger but I'm glad it works perfectly in the new Ram.

dmxinc

Reaction score
I know this is old, but I didn't want to copy 128gb of songs from my ipod... Has anyone used the program "Rockbox.org" to interface with the Uconnect/Ram media setup? It seems too easy, but I will try it out tomorrow. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Raydar

Reaction score
Holy resurrection, Batman! (Yeah... I know. Sorry.)

I have an iPod Nano, 5th gen and an iPod Touch. Not sure which gen, but it's about 4 years old.
(I use iTunes, but the only time I upgrade it, or either iPod, is when they just refuse to work.)
Both of them work fine in my 2019 Bighorn. 8.4. No nav.
It has not seen a dealer since I drove it off the lot, in June of 2019, so nothing has been "upgraded" or reflashed. :rolleyes:
However... I have found that all cables are not created equal. A cable that works fine, in the house, connected to a computer, might not work at all in the truck, and vice versa.
Experiment with your cables. Use good ones. Don't cheap out.

Raydar

Reaction score
I know this is old, but I didn't want to copy 128gb of songs from my ipod... Has anyone used the program "Rockbox.org" to interface with the Uconnect/Ram media setup? It seems too easy, but I will try it out tomorrow. If anyone is interested, let me know.

One of the earlier posters mentioned Rockbox. I've never needed it.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It didn't work for my setup.
21 Uconnect 4 and a 5th Gen iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread