5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPod Classic Compatibility

ptrnfan

Reaction score
I have a 7th gen iPod classic, this is the last generation iPod classic which was discontinued in 2014. I had no problems with connectivity with my 2017 Ram 1500. I left it connected all the time and the UConnect always showed it and would play it and control the functions. My new ram with the 8.4 UConnect with Nav will only recognize it is connected when I first connect it or if the truck has not been turned off for too long. I haven't been able to determine how long too long is yet. It seems like a half hour or more. If the truck has been off for "too long", the UConnect does not show anything connected. If I select the USB port I am using for the iPod it gives me a notification to connect a device. I have tried each USB location that supports playback and have the same result from each one. I have a couple other observations about the playback of the iPod. First, it takes a long time for my library to be visible using the browse button on UConnect. The browse button stays grey. Second, when the library is available I see multiple duplicates of songs that aren't duplicated on the iPod. Last, I cannot select playback of anything using the browse button effectively. What I mean by this is occasionally it will play what I select but most of the time it will not. If I only use the shuffle feature it plays back flawlessly when the UConnect recognizes it is connected.

I have contacted UConnect and they have been useless. The first time I contacted UConnect support they said they do not see the iPod on their compatibility list. They told me to do a soft reset and sent me the steps to do this. I follow the steps and don't see anything happen or change in the function of the system. The next time I contacted them, I asked if they could send me the compatibility list and they said they didn't have one.

Has anyone else been successful using an iPod Classic with their UConnect system?

ptrnfan

Reaction score
I got my answer today. Apple removed support for legacy devices (iAP1), and unfortunately the iPod classic is an iAP1 device.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a blue Nano in a desk drawer that still works. Same goes for a couple of iPhone 3s that work and can be used like an iPod Touch. My audio is almost entirely streaming these days and can be had on my phone and smart watch. It's a disposable economy and continuing to support legacy technology becomes expensive to maintain and has zero financial return.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
So for those of us that need to crawl out of the technological dark ages who want to be able to take all their music and see album art on the Uconnect screen what is recommended?

I would need something with about 100 GB storage.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
My Ipod Classic had all my music on it and playlists . It worked perfectly. I loved having it just plugged in my truck so I didn't have to worry about bluetooth streaming if I didn't want to. I can't believe this new truck has a CD player in it yet it can't work on Ipod. I got a thumb drive but it's not the same.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So for those of us that need to crawl out of the technological dark ages who want to be able to take all their music and see album art on the Uconnect screen what is recommended?

I would need something with about 100 GB storage.
Since you're already in the Apple ecosystem, a 128 GB iPod Touch? You can back up the music from your old iPod and restore on the new one.
https://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs/

Another option is an iPhone.

There's always some conflict. There's the demand to move forward and yet there's also demand for legacy support. It's hard (and expensive) to make everyone happy.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
Since you're already in the Apple ecosystem, a 128 GB iPod Touch? You can back up the music from your old iPod and restore on the new one.

There's always some conflict. There's the demand to move forward and yet there's also demand for legacy support. It's hard (and expensive) to make everyone happy.

Thanks for the link I hadn't thought about that I thought it had been obsoleted also. That might be a decent choice. Although the support might not last that long.

My initial thoughts were to get an iPhone. It seems like the best route since I am heading down the path of needing a new phone. The pros are that I would have everything with me and wouldn't be leaving it in the truck. The con is wearing out the plug.

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score

I'm a Samsung Note guy so I'm not looking to buy another Apple product. My music isn't backed up in the cloud so migrating everything to a new ipod touch is as much work as going the thumb drive route. I got a 64 GB microSD card and a very small reader just a hair bigger than the card. I put it in the back USB 3 slot so it doesn't get in my way and it's so small I don't have to worry about someone hitting it and breaking it. I guess I'll throw the ipod in my wife's Pilot so I don't have to mess with her radio when I drive it. The battery is weak and it's only good when plugged in. Maybe one day for the hell of it I'll dig out a CD and see if the CD player in this truck even works LOL.

grifodan67

Reaction score
I'm a Samsung Note guy so I'm not looking to buy another Apple product. My music isn't backed up in the cloud so migrating everything to a new ipod touch is as much work as going the thumb drive route. I got a 64 GB microSD card and a very small reader just a hair bigger than the card. I put it in the back USB 3 slot so it doesn't get in my way and it's so small I don't have to worry about someone hitting it and breaking it. I guess I'll throw the ipod in my wife's Pilot so I don't have to mess with her radio when I drive it. The battery is weak and it's only good when plugged in. Maybe one day for the hell of it I'll dig out a CD and see if the CD player in this truck even works LOL.

Do you have your MicroSD card formatted in a certain format?

bjpatten

Reaction score
I have a 7th gen iPod classic, this is the last generation iPod classic which was discontinued in 2014. I had no problems with connectivity with my 2017 Ram 1500. I left it connected all the time and the UConnect always showed it and would play it and control the functions. My new ram with the 8.4 UConnect with Nav will only recognize it is connected when I first connect it or if the truck has not been turned off for too long. I haven't been able to determine how long too long is yet. It seems like a half hour or more. If the truck has been off for "too long", the UConnect does not show anything connected. If I select the USB port I am using for the iPod it gives me a notification to connect a device. I have tried each USB location that supports playback and have the same result from each one. I have a couple other observations about the playback of the iPod. First, it takes a long time for my library to be visible using the browse button on UConnect. The browse button stays grey. Second, when the library is available I see multiple duplicates of songs that aren't duplicated on the iPod. Last, I cannot select playback of anything using the browse button effectively. What I mean by this is occasionally it will play what I select but most of the time it will not. If I only use the shuffle feature it plays back flawlessly when the UConnect recognizes it is connected.

I have contacted UConnect and they have been useless. The first time I contacted UConnect support they said they do not see the iPod on their compatibility list. They told me to do a soft reset and sent me the steps to do this. I follow the steps and don't see anything happen or change in the function of the system. The next time I contacted them, I asked if they could send me the compatibility list and they said they didn't have one.

Has anyone else been successful using an iPod Classic with their UConnect system?

I had that same issue also. I have the same iPod and had issues with it but I noticed my girlfriends car (2013 GS350) didn't have the problem. The problem is the connector. The old iPod connection doesn't work as well and will cause the unit to reboot the iPod. I went online and bought a newer iPod Nano with the lightning cable like my iPhone and haven't had an issue with it. Yes I went from 160gb to 16gb but it works flawlessly now and no more problems. Now I have this great 160gb iPod classic that is just sitting on my desk. Hope this helps.

bjpatten

Reaction score
CD Player works great! lol, I still have over 400 cd's and 200 records!

bjpatten

Reaction score

You will be happier with the iPhone! I was a Android user from the beginning and switched to iPhone in 2017 and haven't looked back. Yeah they are expensive but they are worth it. As many issues that my Androids gave me I haven't had one with my iPhone.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was an iPhone user up through the 3GS. I had plenty of issues and didn't like being forced into the Apple ecosystem with minimal customization to the interface. I went Android and never looked back. ;)

RamRiderLTD

Reaction score
You will be happier with the iPhone! I was a Android user from the beginning and switched to iPhone in 2017 and haven't looked back. Yeah they are expensive but they are worth it. As many issues that my Androids gave me I haven't had one with my iPhone.
I Love my Samsung Note. You couldn't give me an iPhone for free. Apple just now has some of the things Samsung has had for years such as wireless charging. I also use the stylus to free hand a lot of things. I prefer the openness of android.

Users who are viewing this thread