5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPhone 15 Pro Max, USB-C & Apple CarPlay

CaliRebel

Reaction score
So the new iPhone is here and my inner Gen Z just had to have it..🤦‍♂️
But now i'm coming across an issue with Apple CarPlay and i'm curious if others are experiencing the same thing(including android users with usb-c).

Im coming across an issue where I plug my phone in and Apple CarPlay does not turn on. The phone charges fine, but for whatever reason, Apple CarPlay does not turn on.
I found that pulling out the cable, flipping it over, then plugging it back in gets it to work(sometimes). I really hope this is just a software issue from Apple and not something common with USB-C.
Which brings me to my next question. I was wondering if any Android users have this issue when trying to connect to Android Auto.
I never had any issues like this before. Also, I have the 12" UConnect 4 system.

I saw some wireless Apple CarPlay adapters on Amazon and I think I might just get one of those. Lord knows when this issue will be fixed by Apple...

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So the new iPhone is here and my inner Gen Z just had to have it..
But now i'm coming across an issue with Apple CarPlay and i'm curious if others are experiencing the same thing(including android users with usb-c).

Im coming across an issue where I plug my phone in and Apple CarPlay does not turn on. The phone charges fine, but for whatever reason, Apple CarPlay does not turn on.
I found that pulling out the cable, flipping it over, then plugging it back in gets it to work(sometimes). I really hope this is just a software issue from Apple and not something common with USB-C.
Which brings me to my next question. I was wondering if any Android users have this issue when trying to connect to Android Auto.
I never had any issues like this before. Also, I have the 12" UConnect 4 system.

I saw some wireless Apple CarPlay adapters on Amazon and I think I might just get one of those. Lord knows when this issue will be fixed by Apple...
It's NOT a USB-C issue. I say that because USB-C has been around longer than Apple using it and on more devices then just Android with no issues. But it could be a problem with your cable. Try another cable.

CaliRebel

Reaction score
It's NOT a USB-C issue. I say that because USB-C has been around longer than Apple using it and on more devices then just Android with no issues. But it could be a problem with your cable. Try another cable.
I tried the new cable that came with the phone and a new thunderbolt 4 cable that I bought new as well.
They both have the same issues.
Im thinking the issue is with the phone. I just really hope its a software issue and not a hardware issue with the phone.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 11 Promax and use the USBc for charging/carplay with zero issues. My son has a Samsung Galax (whatever expensive a$$ phone his mom bought him) and it will not do anything but charge on USBc. If you plug it into the USBa port it works as it should charge/android auto

CaliRebel

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 11 Promax and use the USBc for charging/carplay with zero issues. My son has a Samsung Galax (whatever expensive a$$ phone his mom bought him) and it will not do anything but charge on USBc. If you plug it into the USBa port it works as it should charge/android auto
I'll have to try out that usb-a.
I believe I have one laying around the house somewhere.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'll have to try out that usb-a.
I believe I have one laying around the house somewhere.
Yeah, I didn't think about that as I've never had an issue with Android on USB-C. It could be a bad port too.

CaliRebel

Reaction score
Found the cable and it doesn't activate CarPlay at all. Tried both ports, flipped it multiple times, no luck. It only charges the phone.
The issue is definitely with the phone, i'm just going to order one of those wireless CarPlay adapters.

This is what I get for being impatient and immediately buying a brand new phone without waiting to hear about problems lol.

69Sting

Reaction score
I can relate to your issue. Many times I would have to plug and replug my phone in to get CarPlay to work, either USB port. I ended up buying a wireless carplay adapter and now it works 95% of time.

Starkhaus

Reaction score
This might not help so much but just to state another case. 15 Pro Max as well and luckily I have wireless CarPlay with the 12inch and mine has worked without issue. Could be something along the lines of the cables I’d say but not sure

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Found the cable and it doesn't activate CarPlay at all. Tried both ports, flipped it multiple times, no luck. It only charges the phone.
The issue is definitely with the phone, i'm just going to order one of those wireless CarPlay adapters.

This is what I get for being impatient and immediately buying a brand new phone without waiting to hear about problems lol.
I get super impatient with a lot of stuff, but I got an iphone 10 for work when they first came out and it was linking my SSL password to any other apple product within 20 foot. It was a big security mess

Philth

Reaction score
My situation is probably not much help, as I have wireless CarPlay. My 15 Pro works fine though. No issues to note so far.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the new iPhone is here and my inner Gen Z just had to have it..🤦‍♂️

I highly recommend going wireless. I have Android and UC5, and my phone rarely comes out of my pocket.

ANARCHER

Reaction score
Same issue - my guess is they (FCA) will need to issue an update for the 4C system to work with the new iPhone 15. My 15 Pro Max will connect and I can get Siri to respond by holding the voice action key on the steering wheel, but it will simply not go into CarPlay.

Ordered an adapter as well for the time being and will update once it arrives. Worse case I will continue to rely on my other line which is an Android and works no problem until FCA issues a radio update.

I have yet to raise a support ticket with either FCA or Apple in regards to this. I suspect someone must work at FCA that drives a 5th gen and upgraded to an iPhone 15 and experiencing the same thing :D

vincentw56

Reaction score
Same issue - my guess is they (FCA) will need to issue an update for the 4C system to work with the new iPhone 15. My 15 Pro Max will connect and I can get Siri to respond by holding the voice action key on the steering wheel, but it will simply not go into CarPlay.

Ordered an adapter as well for the time being and will update once it arrives. Worse case I will continue to rely on my other line which is an Android and works no problem until FCA issues a radio update.

I have yet to raise a support ticket with either FCA or Apple in regards to this. I suspect someone must work at FCA that drives a 5th gen and upgraded to an iPhone 15 and experiencing the same thing :D
FCA won't do an update. We've been trying to get them to do an update on uc5 for full screen Android auto. And it's been out for a year.

CaliRebel

Reaction score
FCA won't do an update. We've been trying to get them to do an update on uc5 for full screen Android auto. And it's been out for a year.
Wow, I had no idea the full screen feature was for CarPlay only.
Sounds like whoever is in charge of Uconnect are die hard Apple fans lol

Users who are viewing this thread