5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intro thread turned random progress updates

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but not new to the automotive world or Ram.
I've had Rams in the past but was on a brief hiatus when I bought a Wranger in '18. I've missed having a truck so I sold the Jeep and bought a '21 Ram. I've got a few questions now that I'm back in a truck.

1) I got the 12" radio which is definitely new to me. I've had the 8.4 in the past so it's not completely foreign. However, I noticed when driving it a bit yesterday, that the HVAC can be adjusted via the hard keys along the side of the radio but I don't see where it can be turned on/off with a hard key. Yes, the touch screen can do it but what if for some reason the radio should fail (software failure, physical damage, etc). Am I able to turn heat/air on or off without using the screen?

2) I had a dash camera in my Jeep, which I plan to put in my truck. Is there a wire somewhere in the cab that people commonly splice to for power when the truck is turned on? If not is there an easy way to run a wire into the cab from the engine compartment? For example, on my '14 Ram power was run through the firewall through the clutch plate. Is this still the easiest way?
3) On a related note. Has anyone installed the up-fitter switches? If so how big of a challenge was it?

I'm sure some of this is on the forum, and I plan to use the search feature so don't freak out too bad. This was a quick inquiry for anyone who may be able to give some insight while I'm figuring everything out (the forum and the truck).

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

1) You don't have an ON/OFF button but if you lower the fan to below 1, It'll shut it off. Pressing any of the AC buttons when it's off will turn it on.

2) Most of us use Add-a-fuse and tap into an ACC-ON fuse behind the panel under the steering wheel.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Very difficult to add factory upfitter switches in this truck as you also need a module, believe it’s a vsim or something, and a bunch of harness splicing. Better, cheaper and easier to go aftermarket.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2) I ran my power down to the fuse box and did the add-a-fuse like a lot of other people, but afterwards I found this item and it gives you USB power behind the rearview mirror (assuming your dashcam runs on USB). Plug and play. Would have been a little easier-

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum but not new to the automotive world or Ram.
I've had Rams in the past but was on a brief hiatus when I bought a Wranger in '18. I've missed having a truck so I sold the Jeep and bought a '21 Ram. I've got a few questions now that I'm back in a truck.

1) I got the 12" radio which is definitely new to me. I've had the 8.4 in the past so it's not completely foreign. However, I noticed when driving it a bit yesterday, that the HVAC can be adjusted via the hard keys along the side of the radio but I don't see where it can be turned on/off with a hard key. Yes, the touch screen can do it but what if for some reason the radio should fail (software failure, physical damage, etc). Am I able to turn heat/air on or off without using the screen?

2) I had a dash camera in my Jeep, which I plan to put in my truck. Is there a wire somewhere in the cab that people commonly splice to for power when the truck is turned on? If not is there an easy way to run a wire into the cab from the engine compartment? For example, on my '14 Ram power was run through the firewall through the clutch plate. Is this still the easiest way?
3) On a related note. Has anyone installed the up-fitter switches? If so how big of a challenge was it?

I'm sure some of this is on the forum, and I plan to use the search feature so don't freak out too bad. This was a quick inquiry for anyone who may be able to give some insight while I'm figuring everything out (the forum and the truck).
Welcome to the forum and congratulations!! Pls add your truck's vitals to your signature when you have a moment. This makes it easier for other folks to help in case you have questions or concerns about your vehicle.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the tips, and welcomes.
After some reading I found the upfitter switches seem to be more work than they're worth. Aftermarket is definitely the way to go.
As for the camera I love that USB adapter. Mine uses a cigarette lighter adapter, but I'm going to try to see if it will work with USB given the correct plug. If so that's the way I'll go. If not, I guess I'll look up the add-a-fuse. Heck, that may not be bad to add anyway, for other items down the road.

MannymanX, thanks for the info on the HVAC. I know it shouldn't have but that was worrying me a bit.

This is shaping up to be a great forum.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, as it turns out I can use a USB plug. I tested it by plugging it into the power outlet and it fired right up. I guess I'll be ordering that adapter. Thank you very much piening2150 you just saved me from having to wire up a plug.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up ordering that usb plug adapter but I'm sending it back. While trying to take the trim off the mirror it seem really fragile and I didn't want to break it. I figure I'll just put in the add-a-fuse and wire the camera like I did my Jeep. It's not that hard to run the wire down the pillar, and I really don't want to break the trim on a week old truck.

On a completely unrelated note. I just did my first "mod" if you don't count the Bedrug. I picked up a set of Rebel wheels and tires. Now I just have to install the lift/level that showed up in the mail today.

Not the best backdrop, and it's a bit blurry because it was raining, but it's better than no picture at all.
rebel wheels installed resize.jpg

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ended up ordering that usb plug adapter but I'm sending it back. While trying to take the trim off the mirror it seem really fragile and I didn't want to break it. I figure I'll just put in the add-a-fuse and wire the camera like I did my Jeep. It's not that hard to run the wire down the pillar, and I really don't want to break the trim on a week old truck.

On a completely unrelated note. I just did my first "mod" if you don't count the Bedrug. I picked up a set of Rebel wheels and tires. Now I just have to install the lift/level that showed up in the mail today.

Not the best backdrop, and it's a bit blurry because it was raining, but it's better than no picture at all.
View attachment 99245
Hey I see you're in NE Ohio, I'm in Geauga county myself. Nice ride.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Here's a better photo with the tires I took a few days ago.
Interestingly enough, taken not too far from you, at the Joanne Fabrics headquarters where I was buying some more crafting supplies.

Attachments

• 7-9-21 (3) resize.jpg
    7-9-21 (3) resize.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 38

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new wheel/tire combo is a little heavier and only a hint louder than the stock set.
Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 weighing 76.5 lbs on OEM Big Horn wheels.
Goodyear Duratrac 275/70/18 weighing 83.2 lbs on OEM Rebel wheels.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've added a bed and rocker panel stripe. I had OEM style flares briefly but they weren't seating correctly so they're not on yet. I've got a replacement set on their way.
In the meantime, here's the stripe. I'm thinking about editing the design a bit and pushing the flag back another few inches. Doing so requires removing it and cutting a new one though, which I'm not exactly motivated to do at the moment. IMG_20211009_1122080 resize.jpg

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fall makes for some nice backdrops. These are just more scenic views of the stripe and cab lights.

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_1128522.jpg
    IMG_20211104_1128522.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20211104_1129125.jpg
    IMG_20211104_1129125.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 18

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not the most recent mod, but keeping with the updates. I decided I didn't want cloths seats after all, so I added leather.
The most recent mod auxiliary reverse lights, but I don't have any pictures of them or the switch box mount yet. Until then, just the seats.

Attachments

• Leather seats (1).jpg
    Leather seats (1).jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Leather seats (2).jpg
    Leather seats (2).jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread