5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent wiper question

thomasshawn

Reaction score
New this week 2022 1500 limited.
Intermittent wipers seem to work great when it is raining. I am beginning to think they are not "rain sensing" intermittent like my previous vehicles.

They simply are able to adjust speed based on amount of rain but will not turn off if no rain is occurring. I'm basing this off the instructons that say turn on off when not in use. And also that if left in any of positions other than off the wipers will randomly turn on and wipe 2 or 3 times even when it is completely dry.

Am I understanding that correctly? When it rains, you turn on wipers, it then adjusts speed based on amount of rain, when it's done raining you have to turn it off or it will randomly keep trying to wipe the non-existent rain.

Thanks for the help. Never had such a picky set of wipers.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
New this week 2022 1500 limited.
Intermittent wipers seem to work great when it is raining. I am beginning to think they are not "rain sensing" intermittent like my previous vehicles.

They simply are able to adjust speed based on amount of rain but will not turn off if no rain is occurring. I'm basing this off the instructons that say turn on off when not in use. And also that if left in any of positions other than off the wipers will randomly turn on and wipe 2 or 3 times even when it is completely dry.

Am I understanding that correctly? When it rains, you turn on wipers, it then adjusts speed based on amount of rain, when it's done raining you have to turn it off or it will randomly keep trying to wipe the non-existent rain.

Thanks for the help. Never had such a picky set of wipers.
Your truck has rain sensing wipers. This is from the manual:
RAIN SENSING WIPERS — IF EQUIPPED
This feature senses rain or snowfall on the windshield and automatically activates the wipers. Rotate the end of the multifunction lever to one of four detent positions to activate this feature. The sensitivity of the system can be adjusted with the multifunction lever. Wiper delay position one is the least sensitive, and wiper delay detent position four is the most sensitive. Wiper delay position three should be used for normal rain conditions. Positions one and two can be used if the driver desires less wiper sensitivity. Position four can be used if the driver desires more sensitivity. Place the wiper switch in the O (off) position when not using the system.
NOTE: The Rain Sensing feature will not operate when the wiper switch is in the low or high-speed position. The Rain Sensing feature may not function properly when ice, or dried salt water is present on the windshield.

drydocked

Reaction score
FYI - my dealer advised to not leave the rain sensing wipers on all the time because bugs hitting the windshield will activate it and you'll have a mess.

Taylorman312

Reaction score
I have the rain sensing wipers as well and noticed they turn on randomly when it’s not raining as well. It’s proven fairly consistent about turning on when it’s dry so I turn the wipers off. This doesn’t happen on my previous car or my wife’s vehicle (each a different manufacturer than the truck). I think these just aren’t very good quality. Maybe they sourced lower quality parts in the pandemic or they just got it wrong. Doesn’t bother me too much because they work well when it is raining.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My rain sensing wipers have been in the automatic mode since I bought it and I don't remember them coming on for anything but rain or snow.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same as Idahoktm, I've had my on since I bought the truck. I actually didn't know I had them until they turned on automatically.

I've only had them randomly turn on while washing the truck with ACC on but thats expected.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck has a better version of rain-sensing wipers called "rain sensing fingers". When I see rain drops, my rain-sensing fingers automatically turn the wipers to one of several delay positions or low or high speed, then turn the wipers to off when rain disappears. They are a major improvement over my first vehicle's rain-sensing fingers, which only had low or high speeds to pick from :p

thomasshawn

Reaction score
Not sure why I didn't get any notifications about the replies. Thanks for the info. Seems I'm not the only one with weird issues. I've taken to just turning them off when it's not raining. Not the intended design but I guess it's the setup I have. Anyone know where the sensor is located? Might be debris in the area I've cleaned glass well but still looking for solutions

Tired-of-waiting

Reaction score
My rain sensing wipers work very well. I don't think I've ever seen them come on unnecessarily, and additionally, I have never turned them off.
On a related note, deviating a bit from functional status of the wipers, is the Wiper control arm (Multifunctional Lever) supposed to be backlit?
All of my instrument cluster is backlit for ease of use at nighttime, EXCEPT for the Windshield Wiper / Windshield Washer Multifunction lever.
This seems odd to me, but my dealer said that is normal. I've never seen this in any vehicle I've owned. My question is, should this multifunction lever also be backlit??
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online