5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermediate steering shaft

Alex2014

Reaction score
Someone here replace the intermediate steering stub shaft. There was an issue with a rattle noise behind the steering wheel.

Beddow05

Reaction score
Someone here replace the intermediate steering stub shaft. There was an issue with a rattle noise behind the steering wheel.
I have this same rattle , is that what needs to be replaced ? Mine has been in the shop over a dozen times for different things. They just replaced the steering wheel itself but the rattle still persist. Has anyone figured out what this rattle is ?

Cease11

Reaction score
I had the same noise I’ve uploaded some videos before. Sounded like a loose bolt rattling inside the steering wheel. I even went under the truck to see if it was traveling up. What I did was changed my tires and it completely went away. So I’m thinking my other tires weren’t balance right (Also worn out) I was getting too much vibration.

Cease11

Reaction score
I have this same rattle , is that what needs to be replaced ? Mine has been in the shop over a dozen times for different things. They just replaced the steering wheel itself but the rattle still persist. Has anyone figured out what this rattle is ?
[/https://vimeo.com/385409155 did it sound like this?

Alex2014

Reaction score
[/QU my ram start steering rattle at 12,000 miles. Today have 23,000 miles and the rattles continues. The first time I go to the dealer the technician don’t find anything. The noise I have is like a loose bolt behind or under the steering wheel. I don’t know where is coming I think is for the intermediate steering but is a very difficult to install because the technician need to remove driver front dash to install and removing the shaft. I think that was the reason they don’t fix.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, what my ears hear it sounds like a loose heat shield, or something like that.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029228 miles.

jman307

Reaction score
Yes exactly , but not constant. Only when it’s warm outside or when I drive over rough highways
I have the same issue, primarily highway speeds and shallow bumps like bridge spans, rumble strips and rough road. It has been doing it since my first highway trip at 800 miles and still does at 16k miles. Did you get your issue resolves? I keep reading about clock springs and now stub shafts. The rattle sounds just like snare drum springs rattling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread