5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior lights dont dim

trithumb

Reaction score
Hey all,

So every time I drive during the day I have to turn the light setting knob to the left of the steering wheel all the way up so I can see my media screen and speedo. But then when I drive next at night, I get blinded because its on max brightness. So I have to move it a hair down and it clicks to an acceptable night brightness. Then the opposite issue during my next day drive. I have played around in the uconnect system with the "auto" setting and the manual setting. I know if I take it to the dealer they are only gonna see one time of day and call it quits there and say its fine. Anyone else had this issue? Been happening since day 1 and haven't found a fix yet.

Last edited:

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Hey all,

So every time I drive during the day I have to turn the light setting knob to the left of the steering wheel all the way up so I can see my media screen and speedo. But then when I drive next at night, I get blinded because its on max brightness. So I have to move it a hair down and it clicks to an acceptable night brightness. Then the opposite issue during my next day drive. I have played around in the uconnect system with the "auto" setting and the manual setting. I know if I take it to the dealer they are only gonna see one time of day and call it quits there and say its fine. Anyone else had this issue? Been happening since day 1 and haven't found a fix yet.
Idk what trim you have or if it even matters... But in my longhorn I have 2 Rocker wheels next to the steering wheel.... One is for the ambient/mood lighting and the other is for the radio and cluster lights.... When you have one or the other all the way up it usually turns the other down... Best way to configure them together is at night time when it's dark play with both those wheels and get your lights set to how you like them, and then they will change the lighting automatically when the headlights are off or on etc.... I was confused as hell when I first bought the truck because the added 2nd wheel thru me off from what I was used to on my 4th Gen. On my 4th Gen there was only 1 wheel that controlled everything including the dome lights, but now on the 5th gens the dome light buttons are overhead by all the sunroof and rear window buttons.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

trithumb

Reaction score
Idk what trim you have or if it even matters... But in my longhorn I have 2 Rocker wheels next to the steering wheel.... One is for the ambient/mood lighting and the other is for the radio and cluster lights.... When you have one or the other all the way up it usually turns the other down... Best way to configure them together is at night time when it's dark play with both those wheels and get your lights set to how you like them, and then they will change the lighting automatically when the headlights are off or on etc.... I was confused as hell when I first bought the truck because the added 2nd wheel thru me off from what I was used to on my 4th Gen. On my 4th Gen there was only 1 wheel that controlled everything including the dome lights, but now on the 5th gens the dome light buttons are overhead by all the sunroof and rear window buttons.

Hmmm i didn't play with the other know ill have to mess with that tomorrow night and see. I found part of the issue is the auto wipers and auto headlight on feature was making the headlights turn on and dim it too.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could be a bad photo eye. Also, do you have something on top of the dash that is covering the photo eye. If the eye is bad or covered, the truck thinks it is dark outside.
As far as the dash lights dimming when the wipers come on, you can turn that off in the settings.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Hmmm i didn't play with the other know ill have to mess with that tomorrow night and see. I found part of the issue is the auto wipers and auto headlight on feature was making the headlights turn on and dim it too.
Yes.. If you have 2 wheels over there mess with both of them because they work off of each other... Like I mentioned the best way to figure out exactly what they both do is mess with them at night when it's completely dark in the cab and you will see what I mean... For example having the radio/cluster light wheel all the way up will dim or turn off the ambient lighting, Same goes for the ambient light all the way up will make the radio and cluster dimmer so it's not blinding you at night

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes.. If you have 2 wheels over there mess with both of them because they work off of each other... Like I mentioned the best way to figure out exactly what they both do is mess with them at night when it's completely dark in the cab and you will see what I mean... For example having the radio/cluster light wheel all the way up will dim or turn off the ambient lighting, Same goes for the ambient light all the way up will make the radio and cluster dimmer so it's not blinding you at night

One is for the floor lighting, the other is dash lights
P-74 owners manual:
Dimmer Control The dimmer controls are part of the headlight switch and are located on the left side of the instrument panel. Dimmer Controls With the parking lights or headlights on, rotating the right dimmer control upward will increase the brightness of the instrument panel lights. Rotating the left dimmer control will adjust the interior and ambient light levels.

Last edited:

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
One is for the floor lighting, the other is dash lights
Yes. Like I mentioned in my first post, idk if trim matters or not, but in my Longhorn one of them is the ambient lighting (floor is included) but also all of the light strips along the dash/glove box and door panels (idk if these lights are exclusive to the longhorn and limited) the little overhead light that shines down over the center console cup holders etc.. And the other is for cluster/radio

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all,

I experience this as well. My 2017 was the same way, as is my in-laws 2015 Town and Country. It boggles the mind that nobody at Chrysler has noticed this. The other gripe is the brightness goes from 100% to 50% with that one click

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I experience this as well. My 2017 was the same way, as is my in-laws 2015 Town and Country. It boggles the mind that nobody at Chrysler has noticed this. The other gripe is the brightness goes from 100% to 50% with that one click

Liked the "old" cars that when you turned the lights down it started from 100% and adjusted down from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online