5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interior lighting control (Dimmer)

riveralg79

Reaction score
I purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 BigHorn that came with this Dimmer switch
7dc003f3899cef5c3fc14adc8b6a3f01.jpg

And I wanted to know how hard is it to switch to this control switch so I can control my Over head lighting with this one.
8604e64b5a10423d4323b40a1ceee0d1.jpg

Would this require more wiring???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FM45

Reaction score
The new dimmer and a change to the BCM with alfa or sim...

-=FM45=-

FM45

Reaction score
All the wiring should be there... Pull your head light switch and compare with the one posted...

IMG_20200903_085650.jpg IMG_20200903_085731.jpg

-=FM45=-

FM45

Reaction score
I believe this is the only setting needed to make with Alfa--

CBC Config I/O-Ambient Light Dimmer Wheel Input Present -- change to 'Yes'

** sim -- Alfa is Windows or Android based... another company makes a Apple compatible software--

Mine came with the updated switch but I did add all factory ambient lighting to my Bighorn..

-=FM45=-

riveralg79

Reaction score
I don’t have an Alfa? What is the Sim? Would a Dealer Flash be an option?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don’t have an Alfa? What is the Sim? Would a Dealer Flash be an option?

Dealer won't do it. "Sim" is short for similar. As in a similar software like AlfaODB or Jscan.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@FM45 do you know what else is needed for the other ambient lighting?

FM45

Reaction score
KK... if you're starting with nothing... you'll need the new switch, all the led's, custom wiring harnesses, factory harnesses, wiring connectors and pins... It sounds worst than it is but this mod is more time consuming than anything, I am on duty today and when I get home in the a.m. I'll post some more info but in the meantime search my sig and you'll find some of my 'ambient' mods...

-=FM45=-

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Regarding the switch replacement, it's less than 3 minutes to remove and replace. It's that simple. I've done the switch replacement, but I need someone that knows Alpha OBD or some other tool to activate it. My dealer said they'll do it, but for $149.

riveralg79

Reaction score
Regarding the switch replacement, it's less than 3 minutes to remove and replace. It's that simple. I've done the switch replacement, but I need someone that knows Alpha OBD or some other tool to activate it. My dealer said they'll do it, but for $149.

What does the dealer do? How do I ask them to do it?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I asked them if they could program the module for use in my truck. They need to activate the module in software, but they also get this added to your VIN as an option so that any future flashing by the service department will include any updates for this module and will not remove its settings. I was told that any factory option added to your vehicle, that requires programming, they can do, but the cost is $149.

Back in 2007, I added the steering wheel with radio controls and a new clockspring to my 2006 Silverado. It didn't work after install, due to the computer not recognizing it. The dealer needed to add that option to my truck based on my VIN, and needed to activate it, and then provided the latest update for the feature. They charged $75 back then, so I guess programming at $149 will be higher 15 years later.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread. I do not care so much about ambient lighting, but I would like the ability to turn on all the interior lights without having to open the door. If I got the correct switch would it be plug and play with the addition of adding it in AlfaODB/JSCAN?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can turn on all the lights without opening the door. Turn the dial all the way to the top, past the click.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only have the right switch and want to add the left one. All turning the right one up all the way is make the instrument panel lights blindingly bright. :LOL:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahh, you're right. I added the switch with the second dial but haven't activated it yet. I either need to find someone with AlfaOBD to set it for me, or I need to buy it and do it myself. I just haven't bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread