5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting notes on fuel economy

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everybody's right. (y)

FCA Stellantis will use the minimum standards at the 'lab' to get the maximum value to be able to post the best numbers on the window sticker, in their advertising, and to submit for their CAFE average to minimize any penalties (or need to purchase credits from other companies like Tesla).

The conditions will be ideal for the official run which never happens in real life:

- Use your A/C a lot on high fan speeds? Engine won't stop for long (if at all).
- Did someone ahead of you decide to turn right? When you creep forward your engine restarts.
- Is the stop light a long one? Your truck will start back up before you move forward.
- More stop lights on your commute mean more engine stop cycles (to save fuel) but then you have to accelerate after every stop.
- Don't drive much? The battery pack won't charge enough to let the engine stop.

That doesn't even cover driving style, weather/road conditions, etc. There are a lot of variables that play into how your economy will be affected.

eTorque will definitely help improve your fuel economy over a non-eTorque truck but how much is different for everybody. Some may be more, less, or the same as the 2 mpg claim from RAM.

My truck's window sticker says 17 mpg overall (15 mpg city and 21 mpg highway) and I've never gotten that. If I do nothing but commute to work (60 miles round trip that is 50% freeway) I've gotten almost 16 mpg, but that was really paying attention to my driving habits and keeping to 65-70 mph on the freeway. Even then that changes from week to week as no matter how similar you think the driving conditions are they are different enough that you can't draw any conclusions. One week I'd get almost 16 mpg (hand-calc) and the next was 15 mpg.

I'm not a stop light racer for Formula 1 driver on the freeway but I do like to enjoy my V-8 so I'm usually running around 15 mpg overall. If I wanted to maximize fuel economy (hypermile, draft, coast, etc.) then I'd be in a hybrid car.

I knew I'd never get what my window sticker said. I would have gotten the eTorque except it was a $1200 option when I bought my truck and this was the only truck in a 500 mile radius that I was interested in and it didn't have eTorque.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How many people can match the EPA’s 21-22 mpg highway? Very few. Their tests are fine tuned.

Based on avg mpg posted around here, ~18mpg seems to be tops, being with BSG/3.21/4x2

I average 16.7 mpg with no-BSG/3.92/4x4

There are plenty of people with BSG averaging the same or lower because it doesn’t impact most driving scenarios. I agree that driving style will make the biggest difference.

glen325

Reaction score
Is anyone running a pedal commander? And if so is there any noticeable difference in the fuel economy?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Is anyone running a pedal commander? And if so is there any noticeable difference in the fuel economy?
I am. If you put it in economy mode is supposed to help with MPG (does the total opposite of having it in city or sport mode i.e. less responsive throttle).
I have not tried this as the reason I installed mine was to make the truck more responsive, therefore, my MPGs are prob worse, not better, which I can live with.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Depends on the speed, but at 55 mph w/ mds and the cruise set I get 25-28 mpg. No mds 21-24 mpg. 87 octane I am averaging 18.2 right now since I’ve been running errands around town.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Based on my last four non-towing fillups, I'm averaging 18.56 mpg with 70% in-town driving.

Best mpg I ever got strictly on the highway with just me and one other person and some light luggage was 20.6 mpg with a max of 80 mph. That was on 87 octane though. Haven't taken a trip since I switched to 89 at the beginning of March. I did notice a slight increase in my average (17.42 vs 18.56) after I switched.

Patamaran

Reaction score
My first tank was 89 octane, averaged 17.7mpg, and My 2nd tank was 87 octane, averaged 18.5 mpg.

I can only guess that I'm getting used to how the truck drives, it's breaking in, and temperatures are warming up. I'm using cruise control a lot. It seems cruise is better than my foot for mpg on this truck, whereas my 2016 v6 ram I easily beat the cruise for efficiency. All good news.

My 2016 v6 ram averaged 22 mpg, If I can break 20 mpg in my new truck, I'll be completely satisfied. I'm almost there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online