5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting note about the Rambox popping open

2001gw

Reaction score
Hello All,
I mentioned in another thread titled "Rambox Pops Open" that I had the same problem as other members. My driver's side Rambox would not stay closed. I would close it and about 10 seconds later you could hear the latch operate (by itself) and the lid would pop up. I could hold the lid open and reset the latch (like it was latched closed) and a few seconds later it would "click" as if I pushed the button and opened it. "All by itself".

I had two options (before taking it to the dealer) which was to duct tape it shut or unplug the connector on the switch...I chose to disconnect the switch. That was about a 2 weeks ago. Friday I decided to plug it back in. It NEVER has popped open again. CRAZY. It's almost like it did a reset or something. Kinda like unplugging and re-plugging in your television cable box when it starts acting up. :rolleyes:

If you are having the "Rambox Pops Open" problem you may want to give this a try. Seems to have worked for me.

I do want to mention that it rained most of the day on Friday and Saturday and the box never opened by itself. When it was originally opening on it's own it was raining.

I just wanted to share this with anyone who is having the same problem. If I start having the problem again I will update this thread.

By the way...I never did take it to the dealer. :)

AevJk1day

Reaction score
Hello All,
I mentioned in another thread titled "Rambox Pops Open" that I had the same problem as other members. My driver's side Rambox would not stay closed. I would close it and about 10 seconds later you could hear the latch operate (by itself) and the lid would pop up. I could hold the lid open and reset the latch (like it was latched closed) and a few seconds later it would "click" as if I pushed the button and opened it. "All by itself".

I had two options (before taking it to the dealer) which was to duct tape it shut or unplug the connector on the switch...I chose to disconnect the switch. That was about a 2 weeks ago. Friday I decided to plug it back in. It NEVER has popped open again. CRAZY. It's almost like it did a reset or something. Kinda like unplugging and re-plugging in your television cable box when it starts acting up. :rolleyes:

If you are having the "Rambox Pops Open" problem you may want to give this a try. Seems to have worked for me.

I do want to mention that it rained most of the day on Friday and Saturday and the box never opened by itself. When it was originally opening on it's own it was raining.

I just wanted to share this with anyone who is having the same problem. If I start having the problem again I will update this thread.

By the way...I never did take it to the dealer. :)

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I know there was a recall on these a year or two ago but thought it was resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2001gw

Reaction score
As of today (it has now been 1 week and rained almost every day) the box has not popped open.

For those of you who are not familiar with the situation, the latch operates by itself as if it is being operated by a remote. I know this sounds crazy because the latch does not operate that way at all from the factory. You can only (supposedly) open it by pushing the button on the Rambox or use the key to open it....but "I swear" the latch operates on it's own as though it is being operated by remote. :oops:

Last edited:

58104RAM

Reaction score
I’m having the same issues, it jus randomly pops open when I get out of the truck, was good for a couple months now it’s back again. Last time I noticed it was after going through a car wash. So maybe water getting into the connectors or something like that. Have a appointment with the dealer tomorrow to see if they can see what is going on with it. 😳

58104RAM

Reaction score
Got it back from the dealer today. They put a pig tail connector on it. Dealer said this is a known issue and fix for this issue.
should be good to go now.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I know there was a recall on these a year or two ago but thought it was resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was a TSB. They replace the wire harness for the rambox latch actuator. Apparently it's poorly protected against moisture. Perhaps 2001gw's had a chance to dry out when he unplugged his and left it that way for a while. But that's pure conjecture on my part. I haven't seen this problem yet on either of the rambox trucks we own, but we're keeping an eye on them. There's a long thread in this forum where people discuss this if anyone wants to learn more about it. Sorry, I don't have time to search for it right now to provide the link to it.

2001gw

Reaction score
Just an update on my original post.

It has now been about 7 weeks since I plugged the connector back to the switch. It has rained at least 50% of those days. As of today the Rambox has not popped open one time. I know that sounds crazy but that's the truth... :rolleyes:

However, I will contact my dealer and have that pigtail the installed. (y)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread