5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting issue this morning with my 2019 Laramie.

steveved

Reaction score
So, here in NC, it was 22 degrees F when I took my 13 year old to middle school at 0742. It had rained last night before the temp dropped.

Anyway, halfway to school, the front parking sensors start screaming red at me. So, I disabled them with the switch on the dash. When I got home after dropping him off, I turned them back on while rolling up the driveway. The warning returned. Then when I parked the truck, it told me to clean off the sensors. I checked them. No obstructions, no debris on them. All looks fine. I am going to go out on a limb and assume that water got into one of them on my drive home from work last night in the rain, and that said water froze inside of one of the sensors and damaged it.

I really wish there was an on-board diagnostic that would tell me WHICH sensor was reporting the obstruction. That way, I could just order another and pop it in myself. Really hate going to the dealer and waiting for what will probably be a 5 minute replacement once the offending sensor is identified.

Anyway, this post wasn't really meant to bash or complain about my truck. I just wish that with today's technical advances, there was an on-board system that could identify which sensor was reporting the blockage. Considering how busy most service departments are and the long waits associated with that, a system that would help identify the problem quickly would go a long way towards shortening service visits. And, potentially lead to happier customers.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope you all have a good day.

79 300

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen last night driving home in a snow storm, and again this morning driving in 9 degrees F even though the front bumper looked clean. I just shut them off like you did. It should clear up when things warm up. I had the rear sensors alarm too last night.

67 RT

Reaction score
Mine did it yesterday when it was -7. Has been fine since.

clotagames

Reaction score
They are fine-must be a fine coating on them. Mine worked fine in Illinois today at -24.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, here in NC, it was 22 degrees F when I took my 13 year old to middle school at 0742. It had rained last night before the temp dropped.

Anyway, halfway to school, the front parking sensors start screaming red at me. So, I disabled them with the switch on the dash. When I got home after dropping him off, I turned them back on while rolling up the driveway. The warning returned. Then when I parked the truck, it told me to clean off the sensors. I checked them. No obstructions, no debris on them. All looks fine. I am going to go out on a limb and assume that water got into one of them on my drive home from work last night in the rain, and that said water froze inside of one of the sensors and damaged it.

I really wish there was an on-board diagnostic that would tell me WHICH sensor was reporting the obstruction. That way, I could just order another and pop it in myself. Really hate going to the dealer and waiting for what will probably be a 5 minute replacement once the offending sensor is identified.

Anyway, this post wasn't really meant to bash or complain about my truck. I just wish that with today's technical advances, there was an on-board system that could identify which sensor was reporting the blockage. Considering how busy most service departments are and the long waits associated with that, a system that would help identify the problem quickly would go a long way towards shortening service visits. And, potentially lead to happier customers.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope you all have a good day.

You could try going to an auto parts store and have them read your codes. That might pinpoint which one.

On a goof, I picked up a Micro Mechanic at Target for $20. It's an OBDII Bluetooth dongle that plugs into your diagnostic port under the dash and then connects via BT to your phone. I punted on their app since the first thing it asked for was my email. It's also supported by numerous other app store apps so I found one that didn't ask for BS like theirs.

I love this thing! Not only can I now read my own codes but you can leave it in while driving and get all kinds of diag and performance data from the PCM.

clotagames

Reaction score
You could try going to an auto parts store and have them read your codes. That might pinpoint which one.

On a goof, I picked up a Micro Mechanic at Target for $20. It's an OBDII Bluetooth dongle that plugs into your diagnostic port under the dash and then connects via BT to your phone. I punted on their app since the first thing it asked for was my email. It's also supported by numerous other app store apps so I found one that didn't ask for BS like theirs.

I love this thing! Not only can I now read my own codes but you can leave it in while driving and get all kinds of diag and performance data from the PCM.
There will not be an error code from the reverse sensor going off. They are very sensitive.

MN5241

Reaction score
Mine did this the other morning when it was -15 F. I have 50 minute drive to work on the freeway, when I arrived it came up with the sensor blocked warning. It so happens the condensation from the exhaust on my trip added a layer of frost on the entire back bumper covering the sensors.

steveved

Reaction score
Yeah, when I picked him up at 3pm to bring him home, all was working normally again. It was 45 out by then. As far as them being useless... I don't know, I like the fact that they keep me from bumping into my garage door when we are trying to get 4 vehicles in the driveway. They don't help me at all while driving, but come in handy when parking... :)

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in Michigan. Its cold as hell here, and my truck is covered front to rear with road salt. My sensors have worked flawlessly every day. I remember on my Raptor, if there was ever any frozen water on the very thin rubber seal between the center of the sensor and the bumper, they would alarm. I had to always look very closely to find what was setting them off.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine have preformed pretty well. Once in a while if it snowing or something I may get a false alarm but it doesn't happen to often.

Users who are viewing this thread