5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting eTorque test

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pretty much what many of us thought. More marketing gimmick than actual real world results.

Love or hate the Hurricane I think we all can agree……losing eTorque and all the extra parts the could cause reliability issues in the future is a good thing.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, even worse than I thought... it's all in and back out by 2mph?

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest, when i ordered my 22, i didn't actually want the eTorque... it was a forced "upgrade" when i added the G/T pkg. Now that i've had it about 2 yrs i can def agree with that vid.

The rev matching/shifting stuff is definitely good, and noticeable between this truck and the others i've had. i also do like the way it restarts w/o the annoying starter noise that most stop/start vehicles have to deal with. But the mileage? meh, negligible at best. and i feel like it's been a popular comment that when you come to a stop where the engine doesn't shut off, the hesitation in the engine is terrible... very noticable difference from an etorque assisted start. is almost as if no matter what, the engine is waiting for that first 1/2 turn assist from the EG.

Just a crappy space between hitting the gas, and something happening. It's literally why i dont just shut off the stop/start all the time, cuz with the assist... its fine... def not any better than you'd expect - more like "how it should be" so when its not there it makes it a drag. and the battery pack? its like its not even there... at least give us some eye candy "mild hybrid" pages in the UC5 - esp if its alotta marketing. otherwize how do we even know the status/life/performance of the battery pack until it fails?

Lastly, I'm not one to really have faith in a hot-rodded 6-cyl in a full sized truck yet personally, but i have no experience with it to this point. but i am def gonna go test drive one when they start showing up on lots tho, cuz i'm very interested in what the differences will be.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
To be honest, when i ordered my 22, i didn't actually want the eTorque... it was a forced "upgrade" when i added the G/T pkg. Now that i've had it about 2 yrs i can def agree with that vid.

The rev matching/shifting stuff is definitely good, and noticeable between this truck and the others i've had. i also do like the way it restarts w/o the annoying starter noise that most stop/start vehicles have to deal with. But the mileage? meh, negligible at best. and i feel like it's been a popular comment that when you come to a stop where the engine doesn't shut off, the hesitation in the engine is terrible... very noticable difference from an etorque assisted start. is almost as if no matter what, the engine is waiting for that first 1/2 turn assist from the EG.

Just a crappy space between hitting the gas, and something happening. It's literally why i dont just shut off the stop/start all the time, cuz with the assist... its fine... def not any better than you'd expect - more like "how it should be" so when its not there it makes it a drag. and the battery pack? its like its not even there... at least give us some eye candy "mild hybrid" pages in the UC5 - esp if its alotta marketing. otherwize how do we even know the status/life/performance of the battery pack until it fails?

Lastly, I'm not one to really have faith in a hot-rodded 6-cyl in a full sized truck yet personally, but i have no experience with it to this point. but i am def gonna go test drive one when they start showing up on lots tho, cuz i'm very interested in what the differences will be.
Just to be clear, turning off the stop/start feature does not turn off the other features of etorque. It just prevents the engine from shutting off when you come to a stop.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not entirely accurate.

When you shut off the stop/start feature, it shuts off 2 of the 6 "etorque stages".
Pushing the button shuts off "Stop-Start" as well as "eRoll Assist" however the "electronic system power" isn't actually shut off, it's just not needed when the engine is still running.
So that forward 1/2 turn eTorque push only happens when the engine shuts off.
When the engine is running the EG is not staged for a restart and/or an eRoll.
It doesn't affect 3 of the other 4 "stages" either, as those are only used when driving:
these are "upshift rev-matching," "Downshift Rev-matching," and "Regenerative Braking"

Last edited:

frisby5

Reaction score
I didnt want the etorque feature either. I bought mine at the end of 22 there were no non etorque hemis left on the lot. I have learned to live with it and i like a few features like rev matching gear change. Also i do alot of driving dirt roads hunting and when i stop to look at something i dont have to shut the engine off for the 3-5 min im sitting there its automatic but thats the only thing i could care less about stop and go traffic.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

What do you think the Cummin diesel is? A turbo charged straight six.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think the Cummin diesel is? A turbo charged straight six.
I've had one in my 2004 Ram...(5.9L Cummins 600) more torque than even the HO Hurricane at 600lbs-ft, so not sure what you mean by that... but a turbo charged str8-six diesel engine, and a turbo charged str8 six gas engine are not the same thing. Pretty significant differences in tow ratings too... more than i would have guessed at least, given the same chassis.

Last edited:

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I've had 3 vehicles with AS/S capabilities, and they all start the engine if the A/C or Defrost is on
I can't see Steele's comment for some reason so i'm not sure what it was but i do know that the 48V etorque system was actually designed to have more electrical things happen during an engine off stop than the typical ones... Like i had a newer Ford rental that had AS/S and like you said with AC or defrost... and even if you turned the wheel, the EPS draw made the engine start back up... with this ram it takes like sme heavy duty AC action in the summer to get it to some back on before you lift your foot. that's one thing they did get right on it.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had one in my 2004 Ram...(5.9L Cummins 600) more torque than even the HO Hurricane at 600lbs-ft, so not sure what you mean by that... but a turbo charged str8-six diesel engine, and a turbo charged str8 six gas engine are not the same thing. Pretty significant differences in tow ratings too... more than i would have guessed at least, given the same chassis.
Not the same engine, not saying they are. But the S/O Hurricane isn't maxed out over stressed either as was inferred.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not the same engine, not saying they are. But the S/O Hurricane isn't maxed out over stressed either as was inferred.
I'm more confusederer now... do you mean you inferred that from something i said?? 😅

Last edited:

Steele713

Reaction score
To me not a fair test. Not same vehicles, not same torque or weight or body shape...just my opinion. Equal comparison = identical vehicles. Want to see this with a hemi

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To me not a fair test. Not same vehicles, not same torque or weight or body shape...just my opinion. Equal comparison = identical vehicles. Want to see this with a hemi
Agreed, this would have better with the same year, cab, etc Hemis...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm more confusederer now... do you mean you inferred that from something i said?? 😅
Misquoted. my mistake. The Hurricane isnts exactly a "hot rodded" 6cyl, any more than the Cummins diesel is/was. The Hurricane was designed for being a turbo motor. Now the hurricate 1000hp version you an call hot rodded.

Users who are viewing this thread