5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Integrated trailer brake module

mdirads

Reaction score
I am a novice with towing, and recently acquired a 1500 Limited with the towing package. I have an enclosed trailer that I use for towing a dedicated track car. The trailer weighs 2,440 pounds and the car is approximately 1,000 pounds, so total weight is well under 5,000 pounds. I previously used a Range Rover for towing, so the ITBM is new to me.

The trailer has integrated electric drum brakes, which are described as self-adjusting.

My question is....what is the purpose of the ITBM? As I mentioned above, I previously had a Range Rover which did not have an ITBM, so I am not familiar with this item. What is its purpose and how do I use it? Do I even need to use it for towing this light weight trailer and track car? For reference, the trailer is an Aerovault: Aluminum Enclosed Trailer - Aerovault

Thanks!

monza2t

Reaction score
Does your trailer have a 7-pin connector? If it does there should be a pin in there for the brakes. When you plug it into the Ram the brake controller will recognize that the trailer is connected

Without the brake controller, your trailer does no braking, so if you didnt have an aftermarket brake controller in the LR then the LR's brakes were doing all the braking and your trailer brakes did nothing.

And I'd absolutely use the trailer brakes. Why put more stress on the tow vehicle brakes?

mdirads

Reaction score
Yes the trailer has the standard 7-pin connector.
Do I need to set the gain on the ITBM? What is the default setting?
Thanks again.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It tells you how to set the gain based on your trailer weight in that manual. With a trailer that light you don't even really need trailer brakes at all.

mdirads

Reaction score
It tells you how to set the gain based on your trailer weight in that manual. With a trailer that light you don't even really need trailer brakes at all.
That is what I suspected.
My Range Rover didn’t have an ITBM, and I never had an issue with this load.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, if the trailer has brakes, I would use them. It may "only" by 5000lbs, but the factory brake on your Ram aren't designed to stop that much weight in panic situations and if you don't want to jack knife, you will want your trailer brakes working. Follow the manual for adjusting them, then save the trailer profile. Next time you connect, it will automatically switch to that trailer profile and no more adjusting needed.

mdirads

Reaction score
Personally, if the trailer has brakes, I would use them. It may "only" by 5000lbs, but the factory brake on your Ram aren't designed to stop that much weight in panic situations and if you don't want to jack knife, you will want your trailer brakes working. Follow the manual for adjusting them, then save the trailer profile. Next time you connect, it will automatically switch to that trailer profile and no more adjusting needed.
I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that if the trailer has the brakes then you might as well use them. Just saying you don't need them for that amount of weight. My utility trailer has a GVWR of 3500 pounds. I've loaded it to max before, and it doesn't have brakes. No issues, but I've never been in a situation or put myself in a situation where I'd have to panic stop. Anecdotal, yes, but there are trailers around that weight and higher that don't have brakes at all.

monza2t

Reaction score
That is what I suspected.
My Range Rover didn’t have an ITBM, and I never had an issue with this load.

Owners manual says loads of 1000-2000 trailer brakes are recommended. loads over 2000lb trailer brakes are required.

When you think about it, the truck weighs 5500lbs(ish). You've got 3500lbs of load back there. You are at 163% of the normal load on the brakes if the trailer brakes aren't working. Lets say you can normally stop in 120ft from 60mph. You'd potentially be stretching that to 200', a sizable increase

And setting gain isn't hard. Go find a big empty parking lot or stretch of road. Get going with the load to ~25mph and apply the manual activation. The trailer should slow the truck. If the trailer brake locks up, gain is too high. Back off until the trailer brake doesn't lock up but is still slowing the whole rig. Tons of YouTube videos on this to watch.

mdirads

Reaction score
Here is my understanding: My trailer has electronic brakes. When coupled to the Ram, the Ram automatically sends a braking signal to the trailer.

If that is correct, my question perhaps should have been: What is the default gain of the ITBM from which to make adjustments. Is the default gain set at 0 or 5? If the default is set to 5, it seems to me that this is sufficient gain applied to the trailer brakes. I had no difficulty in controlling the trailer when coming upon a need to decelerate or to stop.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my understanding: My trailer has electronic brakes. When coupled to the Ram, the Ram automatically sends a braking signal to the trailer.

If that is correct, my question perhaps should have been: What is the default gain of the ITBM from which to make adjustments. Is the default gain set at 0 or 5? If the default is set to 5, it seems to me that this is sufficient gain applied to the trailer brakes. I had no difficulty in controlling the trailer when coming upon a need to decelerate or to stop.
If you go into the settings it will show you what your current gain setting is.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I inadvertently pressed the plus and minus selectors before I noted the default setting :oops:
I can go look at mine. But not sure if gain setting will show up without a trailer connected. I have never used mine to tow a trailer with brakes

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Just adjust the gain so the trailer brakes as hard as the truck does. You want them to be balanced. I adjust the gain from when my travel trailer is packed going camping to when we go home and it's empty.

n8zcc

Reaction score

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
I can go look at mine. But not sure if gain setting will show up without a trailer connected. I have never used mine to tow a trailer with brakes
Gain is different for every trailer, so here is how you set yours.
On a level road, have trailer hooked up and connected, and get rolling to around 20-25 mph. Squeeze the trailer brake controller without touching your car brakes. You want the trailer to drag and slow you down without locking up the trailer brakes. Add gain until it does, take away gain if it locks up the trailer brakes. Gain goes from 0-10, start at 5. Adjust as neccesary. After you have done the above, if the trailer seems too "grabby" when coming to a stop, take away some gain until you like how it feels.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gain is different for every trailer, so here is how you set yours.
On a level road, have trailer hooked up and connected, and get rolling to around 20-25 mph. Squeeze the trailer brake controller without touching your car brakes. You want the trailer to drag and slow you down without locking up the trailer brakes. Add gain until it does, take away gain if it locks up the trailer brakes. Gain goes from 0-10, start at 5. Adjust as neccesary. After you have done the above, if the trailer seems too "grabby" when coming to a stop, take away some gain until you like how it feels.
Right, but he wanted to know what the default gain setting is before you make any adjustments

mdirads

Reaction score
I appreciate the numerous replies! At this point, I am not towing in the next several weeks, so no need for additional replies unless others feel compelled to share wisdom. I'll modify the gain as needed going from a baseline of "5"

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/