5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Integrated Trailer Brake installed on 2019 Ram Limited with Uconnect 12"

Reaction score
Has anyone had the dealer install a factory integrated trailer brake on a 2019 Ram 1500 with 12" uconnect screen? I bought a limited and it did not come with one and was not available when I bought it. (why a 68,000 msrp truck has a blank spot there is just ridiculous!) Dealer says it is available now $299 and requires 3 hrs labor. I'm curious if it requires dash removal or just popping tab out. I don't want to add it if it is complex enough to risk tech damaging or breaking something in the process.

vondarius20

Reaction score
You can most likely do it yourself. See the attached install instructions. Mind you I haven't done mine.

Attachments

• Electronic Brake Controller.pdf
    718.3 KB · Views: 690
Reaction score
thanks but I see those instructions are for the other system which is a bit different from the 12" uconnect system dash that I have. On mine it looks like there is a tab where it should be that could pop out and I would hope they don't have to take the whole ipad wanna be system out for the install. Anybody know?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
thanks but I see those instructions are for the other system which is a bit different from the 12" uconnect system dash that I have. On mine it looks like there is a tab where it should be that could pop out and I would hope they don't have to take the whole ipad wanna be system out for the install. Anybody know?
The dealer needs to update the "software" for OEM trailer brake. See the following post: 5thgenrams.com/community/threads/adding-factory-brake-controller.1882/#post-32393
My understanding is that an aftermarket trailer brake can be added but you will not have access to the trailer brake via the on board screen. The Ram 1500 comes with 2 plugs, one for the trailer brake and one for the vehicle info system. I have not done either but this is what I can gather from the forum.
For those looking at at the "trailer tow package" be aware that the mirrors are wider and are manually retractable. The trailer brake can be added without the tow package.

SDforOU

Reaction score
I had this done on mine, I waited for an hour for them to install. (so I doubt they had to remove anything.)

UKBrad

Reaction score
I had this done on mine, I waited for an hour for them to install. (so I doubt they had to remove anything.)

Mind sharing how much they charged for your install? I was quoted $600.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No they are not, but these are. And yes, you have to pull the display, but it's not hard.

Attachments

• Trailer Brake Controller Install.pdf
    260.9 KB · Views: 486
Reaction score
So i was going to purchase a trailer brake OEM . I got a 2019 ram limited 5'7" box with tow package. My grandfather says the truck will automatically brake with trailer. I'm pulling 6k on a 200 mile trip. Trailer brake is available the 26th I'm leaving July 1st. Install cant be done till after july 5th. is there truth to the brakeing. Do I need a trailer brake for 6k. law says anything over 3k. but I'm pulling 2 side by sides open trailer.My truck is also equipped with 7 round plug when purchased

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i was going to purchase a trailer brake OEM . I got a 2019 ram limited 5'7" box with tow package. My grandfather says the truck will automatically brake with trailer. I'm pulling 6k on a 200 mile trip. Trailer brake is available the 26th I'm leaving July 1st. Install cant be done till after july 5th. is there truth to the brakeing. Do I need a trailer brake for 6k. law says anything over 3k. but I'm pulling 2 side by sides open trailer.

I do know that some states actually do have that law, so, breaking it is on you, not the advice of an online forum (or family member, not sure which way your grandfather was suggesting to go).

I will tell you this, in a state that did NOT have that law, I've towed 8000 ish pounds with my 3.21 truck and no trailer brakes. I've also pulled around 10,000 with my Tundra and the same trailer setup without brakes again.

But just because I've done it, doesn't mean you can, we are all different drivers and drive in completely different scenarios.

Reaction score
I do know that some states actually do have that law, so, breaking it is on you, not the advice of an online forum (or family member, not sure which way your grandfather was suggesting to go).

I will tell you this, in a state that did NOT have that law, I've towed 8000 ish pounds with my 3.21 truck and no trailer brakes. I've also pulled around 10,000 with my Tundra and the same trailer setup without brakes again.

But just because I've done it, doesn't mean you can, we are all different drivers and drive in completely different scenarios.
Thank you, Not having a trailer brake does the truck apply brakes on trailer when brakes are pressed. Haveing a trailer brake does it just give you indepent control of brakes.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trailer Brakes and a Trailer Brake Controller are two different things. Trailer Brakes are the physical brake parts that slow the trailer wheels when receiving a signal from the Trailer Brake Controller. The Controller gets it's info from the truck on when and how much brake signal to send to the Trailer Brakes. Without a Trailer Brake Controller, the truck does not send any signal to the Trailer Brakes themselves in any capacity. You need a properly wired Trailer Brake Controller to have any sort of function from the Trailer Brakes.

In my scenarios, I ran without either, as my Ram has no Controller, and my trailer does not have the brakes wired up.

Reaction score
Trailer Brakes and a Trailer Brake Controller are two different things. Trailer Brakes are the physical brake parts that slow the trailer wheels when receiving a signal from the Trailer Brake Controller. The Controller gets it's info from the truck on when and how much brake signal to send to the Trailer Brakes. Without a Trailer Brake Controller, the truck does not send any signal to the Trailer Brakes themselves in any capacity. You need a properly wired Trailer Brake Controller to have any sort of function from the Trailer Brakes.

In my scenarios, I ran without either, as my Ram has no Controller, and my trailer does not have the brakes wired up.
Thank you for responding I just purchased a OEM trailer brake 315.00 plus 2 hour labor. Something i overlooked and should of ordered on truck.

rescueswimmer

Reaction score
Does the gain etc show up in the instrument panel like when it was ordered from the factory? Thanks.

Chadob6988

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram with the 12" display. I installed the OEM trailer brake controller (82215278AE) today. The install is very easy for a DIY. Only problem is when I reconnected the negative battery terminal and started the truck, all my apps and convenience controls are gone. SiriusXM no longer there, backup camera gone, heated/ventilated seat features are all gone. I know I have to get the truck flashed to recognize the TBC, but why did all that happen? I have an appointment on Tuesday for the software flash, I hope it works. If anyone has questions about the physical install let me know.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Does the gain etc show up in the instrument panel like when it was ordered from the factory? Thanks.
Once it is programmed in, it will show up in the display and the 12" Uconnect will have the options to set up different trailers like it would from the factory.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ram with the 12" display. I installed the OEM trailer brake controller (82215278AE) today. The install is very easy for a DIY. Only problem is when I reconnected the negative battery terminal and started the truck, all my apps and convenience controls are gone. SiriusXM no longer there, backup camera gone, heated/ventilated seat features are all gone. I know I have to get the truck flashed to recognize the TBC, but why did all that happen? I have an appointment on Tuesday for the software flash, I hope it works. If anyone has questions about the physical install let me know.
Mine did the same thing. Took quite a while for everything to populate back in. I thought that was strange. You would think, like a computer, that everything would automatically be there. All of my stuff was there the next day when I started it back up.

MadChacy

Reaction score
Mopar is currently out anybody have a suggestion where to find the brake controller?

borderjack

Reaction score
Has anyone had the dealer install a factory integrated trailer brake on a 2019 Ram 1500 with 12" uconnect screen? I bought a limited and it did not come with one and was not available when I bought it. (why a 68,000 msrp truck has a blank spot there is just ridiculous!) Dealer says it is available now $299 and requires 3 hrs labor. I'm curious if it requires dash removal or just popping tab out. I don't want to add it if it is complex enough to risk tech damaging or breaking something in the process.
I just bought the kit on e-bay for my 19 Longhorn for $160.00. It took me about 25 minutes to install and the dealer programmed it for $60.00. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined it is a simple plug and play process. My kit came with printed instructions and with the help of an internet video, I found out how to safely remove the 12" screen so that I could install the dash module. I also agree that a truck costing nearly $70,000 should have this as standard equipment. My salesman missed the check box when I special ordered my Longhorn which has everything else but the trailer brake control. ):

Users who are viewing this thread