5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intake manifold removal/install

jman307

Reaction score
I recently had rodent damage to the MDS solenoid wiring located under the intake manifold. Dealer is quoting $1000 for the repair. How difficult is the manifold to remove and install so I can repair the wire myself? I am mechanically inclined but have never done this. How much follow on maintenance is required or is it a remove manifold, repair wiring, install new manifold gasket and install manifold? My comprehensive detectable is $500 but man i don't want to spend this kind of money for the MDS repair because I personally son't care for it anyway. I just can stand the constant engine check light staring me down!!! Thanks.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently had rodent damage to the MDS solenoid wiring located under the intake manifold. Dealer is quoting $1000 for the repair. How difficult is the manifold to remove and install so I can repair the wire myself? I am mechanically inclined but have never done this. How much follow on maintenance is required or is it a remove manifold, repair wiring, install new manifold gasket and install manifold? My comprehensive detectable is $500 but man i don't want to spend this kind of money for the MDS repair because I personally son't care for it anyway. I just can stand the constant engine check light staring me down!!! Thanks.
Intake manifold uses o-ring. No gasket. If you are mechanically inclined, should be pretty straightforward for you.

Psifer

Reaction score
It's relatively easy if you have any experience wrenching on vehicles. The only part that gave me a little trouble was disconnecting the fuel line. The key is to push the fuel line disconnect tool and fuel line toward each other to release the retainer clip, once that is released then you pull the fuel line away from the tool and it should pop right off. I did the work a couple of times since I switched to a 6.4L intake manifold and then back to stock when it came time to trade my truck in. It will take a few hours if you take your time and document everything you're doing.

jman307

Reaction score
It's relatively easy if you have any experience wrenching on vehicles. The only part that gave me a little trouble was disconnecting the fuel line. The key is to push the fuel line disconnect tool and fuel line toward each other to release the retainer clip, once that is released then you pull the fuel line away from the tool and it should pop right off. I did the work a couple of times since I switched to a 6.4L intake manifold and then back to stock when it came time to trade my truck in. It will take a few hours if you take your time and document everything you're doing.
Thank you for the feedback, I am mechanically inclined. When you say fuel line disconnect tool, are you referring to a special tool or tools required to do this job? My concerns are not having specialty tools if needed and test equipment for follow on maintenance. What checks do I need to perform when everything is put back together or just do leak checks and call it good??

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback, I am mechanically inclined. When you say fuel line disconnect tool, are you referring to a special tool or tools required to do this job? My concerns are not having specialty tools if needed and test equipment for follow on maintenance. What checks do I need to perform when everything is put back together or just do leak checks and call it good??
Fuel line disconnect tool isnt really any specialty hard to find, or even expensive tool. It's a common tool any parts store will have for under $10. No need for any special test equipment, but it's not a bad idea to get a basic OBD2 Bluetooth scan tool and app to use for checking codes yourself. Can get basic Bluetooth scan tool that will do the job for under $20 off Amazon. Plenty of free apps to scan or codes. Some cheaper pay apps that will let you clear codes and even have live gauge readouts for various sensors.

jman307

Reaction score
Fuel line disconnect tool isnt really any specialty hard to find, or even expensive tool. It's a common tool any parts store will have for under $10. No need for any special test equipment, but it's not a bad idea to get a basic OBD2 Bluetooth scan tool and app to use for checking codes yourself. Can get basic Bluetooth scan tool that will do the job for under $20 off Amazon. Plenty of free apps to scan or codes. Some cheaper pay apps that will let you clear codes and even have live gauge readouts for various sensors.
Appreciate all of the info 🤙

JoePa31

Reaction score
I am looking to do this same thing. Were you able to get this done? Any tips?

Users who are viewing this thread