5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insurance residency

BNJMN

Reaction score
Not sure where to categorize this question. Has anyone successfully obtained residence in a state other than where your house is for the purposes of cheaper insurance? I had met a full time RVer that claimed South Dakota. But it looks like they don’t allow that if you do actually have a house elsewhere. Insurance in Michigan sucks.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Plenty of people have second homes and part time vehicles in every state. That's why insurance asks you where you "garage" the car. Some states you have to register in state after a certain amount of time, unless you are exempted. Insurance also varies by state. In Florida, you can insurance someone else's car that's even registered out of state. It's pretty wide open to do whatever due to all the snowbirds and part time residents. Shop around, call some independent agents and tell them what you want and what options are available.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure where to categorize this question. Has anyone successfully obtained residence in a state other than where your house is for the purposes of cheaper insurance? I had met a full time RVer that claimed South Dakota. But it looks like they don’t allow that if you do actually have a house elsewhere. Insurance in Michigan sucks.
Not sure if that's illegal or not, but it can bite you in the ****. Every state has different insurance regulations as far as types, and amount of coverage required. When I was in the military, even though my vehicles stayed registered in my home of record state, I always had to switch my insurance coverage based on where I was stationed at

Cocheese

Reaction score
Insurance companies need the address/zip code of where the vehicle is stored for premium cost etc. Also, your coverage maybe different based on state. Some states have Personal Injury Protection coverage while others have Medical Pay. Also, I believe Michigan is a no fault state, which means, you will go through your own insurance for an accident and your insurance company will get the money back from the at fault carrier. So, it's probably not wise to insure your vehicle through a different state.
Be honest, when you get a quote from any insurance company, they will know where you live anyway...
The whole point of RV is that is mobile, but it has to registered and license some where and so, the insurance coverage will be based on that. So, if it is registered and insurance in SD, it will be covered anywhere, exception for Mexico...

BNJMN

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. All good points. Time to dig in and call and online quote like crazy.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if that's illegal or not, but it can bite you in the ****. Every state has different insurance regulations as far as types, and amount of coverage required. When I was in the military, even though my vehicles stayed registered in my home of record state, I always had to switch my insurance coverage based on where I was stationed at
When I was in you had to use your home record state, which was wherever you lived when you enlisted. Mine was NJ, but they let me change mine to PA since my father lived there while I was in, which let me register and insure my truck as an agriculture vehicle. That saved me a lot of money and time back then because I didn't have to reup registration or inspection. However they made me keep NJ as my home record state for purposes of taxes, so I had to keep paying NJ income taxes the whole time I was in.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in you had to use your home record state, which was wherever you lived when you enlisted. Mine was NJ, but they let me change mine to PA since my father lived there while I was in, which let me register and insure my truck as an agriculture vehicle. That saved me a lot of money and time back then because I didn't have to reup registration or inspection. However they made me keep NJ as my home record state for purposes of taxes, so I had to keep paying NJ income taxes the whole time I was in.
You can change your home if record any time you want but when you get outz they will only give you household goods move to whatever your home if record is. I know guys who bought a house in the place they intended to retire and change home of record to that.

As for insurance as.mwnriines above, if your insurance company is worth a ****, they will ask where the vehicle is primarily garaged or kept and base insurance off of that. When I first transfered to Cali, the insurance company I had specifically said they would not cover me in Cali since they were Nebraska based, and they weren't licensed for California. Not saying the insurance wouldn't be good, but the requirements for minimum coverage varies from state to state.

And on that note, if you are only paying for the. Are minimum coverage required by the states you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit as most minimum coverage will barely cover any medical expenses if someone has to go to hospital, and if there is more than one vehicle involved, probably won't cover the total amount of damage.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will question the 1st response relating to Florida allowing you to insure someone else's car, even out of state. Two instances as examples that I know didn't work. My son bought a car and I could not insure that car with my insurance policy unless my name was also on the title. So, every car he's purchased, needed to be set up with the me or him so he can do what he wants with it, but I can insure it under my policy. The second instance is a friend's son moved from Minnesota to Tampa. Tampa insurance is much higher than Minnesota, so they looked into the father covering the car in MN, but insurance wouldn't allow it since the car is registered in FL.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can change your home if record any time you want but when you get outz they will only give you household goods move to whatever your home if record is. I know guys who bought a house in the place they intended to retire and change home of record to that.

As for insurance as.mwnriines above, if your insurance company is worth a ****, they will ask where the vehicle is primarily garaged or kept and base insurance off of that. When I first transfered to Cali, the insurance company I had specifically said they would not cover me in Cali since they were Nebraska based, and they weren't licensed for California. Not saying the insurance wouldn't be good, but the requirements for minimum coverage varies from state to state.

And on that note, if you are only paying for the. Are minimum coverage required by the states you are leaving yourself open for a lawsuit as most minimum coverage will barely cover any medical expenses if someone has to go to hospital, and if there is more than one vehicle involved, probably won't cover the total amount of damage.
I got out of the military 30 years ago so things might have changed or I might just remember it wrong :D - totally agree on insurance levels. I carry the maximum offered by my insurer, and also have a PUP to take up the slack on any difference. I'd have to do some pretty bad **** for anyone to get anything from me personally!

Zaraustr

Reaction score
I've been looking for insurance for a while now. And I'll tell you, it's not easy! You have to know what you want and then find an insurance company that can provide it. The first thing I did was make a list of the important things to me. Then I went online and searched for insurance companies that offered the kind of coverage I wanted. I found one that seemed like a good fit. It had all the features I needed, and it was affordable. I found it on sundaysinsurance.co.uk, and I think it is the best one nowadays.

Last edited:

Pertzbro

Reaction score
4th generation insurance agent - and I own a few agencies - you're not doing yourself a favor by trying to save a couple bucks. You're borderline committing insurance fraud. You can do all kinds of tricks to save on insurance and taxes. You could set up a trust in SD and have everything owned by the trust - but insurance still needs to know where it's primarily garaged and used at. Lie about it - fraud, no coverage, etc. Your Michigan rates suck because of the laws in your state, the weather in your state and how bad claims are in your state due to theft, vandalism, bad drivers, too many attorneys, etc.

Florida is extremely bad as well - even worse for home owners insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread