5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insurance coverage while offroading

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I asked my insurance provider (farmers) and I asked them if I would be covered while wheeling but I was given a big NO... come to find out today I found out my buddy has his rzr covered by farmers. Whats the deal with that? Have any of you guys ever done a claim from an offroading incident?

Rollint

Reaction score
How would they know where the incident took place, unless you tell them? Could have been that a dog ran out and you had to drive into the ruts on the side of the road and damage your rocker, right? ;)

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Most companies won’t cover offroad damage, same as racing damage. A buddy said his State Farm agent told him he was covered offroad but never found out if it was true or not.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How would they know where the incident took place, unless you tell them? Could have been that a dog ran out and you had to drive into the ruts on the side of the road and damage your rocker, right? ;)
Lol in some scenarios that would work but not if the truck flips over or gets damaged to the point where its not drivable lol

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Speak with your agent to be sure, I believe most will cover off-roading, like trail driving, but not a timed event like an off-road race.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speak with your agent to be sure, I believe most will cover off-roading, like trail driving, but not a timed event like an off-road race.
I talked to my agent and they told me that it wasn't covered. They didn't sound to experienced either because they didn't know what a fire road is.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I talked to my agent and they told me that it wasn't covered. They didn't sound to experienced either because they didn't know what a fire road is.

Oh gotcha, sorry missed that detail. Probably they aren't exactly sure what you mean, because many parts of the country are like fire roads. I had a buddy damage his BMW on a truck trail, not an SUV, but a freaking M3 coupe. They fully covered him, he didn't have any special policy.

I would speak to someone else for clarification, because so many brand new Jeeps and trucks rock crawl in my area or "Baja" down the desert and I've never heard any of them mention special "off-road" insurance, though I'm sure it exist.

I'll call my insurance tomorrow to double check myself, I have AAA by the way.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There might be an "additional coverage" rider you need to get... it's different state to state. Probably a fairly nominal rate increase, like $50 a year.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So is it being off public roadways that discludes your coverage, or the ACT of recreationally four-wheeling that discludes it?

Truck owners frequently leave public roads for work, business, pleasure, etc. That's why we drive trucks. I'd definitely look into your policy and if they won't cover you unless you're on a public road I'd shop elsewhere.

ChuckH

Reaction score
Farmers insurance is notorious for denying claims. I had a claim with my business that my agent said would be covered and after going around with them for months they still denied my claim. I went back with State Farm and I have never had a problem with them. With Farmers, don’t just trust your agent. As the poster said earlier, get the policy and read it, but I would recommend getting an attorney to read it if you are dealing with Farmers (and probably any insurance company to be fair, but definitely them).

PostPremium

Reaction score
Farmers insurance is notorious for denying claims. I had a claim with my business that my agent said would be covered and after going around with them for months they still denied my claim. I went back with State Farm and I have never had a problem with them. With Farmers, don’t just trust your agent. As the poster said earlier, get the policy and read it, but I would recommend getting an attorney to read it if you are dealing with Farmers (and probably any insurance company to be fair, but definitely them).
If you have a question about coverage, ask your agent. However, make them put it in writing. That way if they're wrong, you have a documented claim to submit to their E & O Insurance.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I spoke with my AAA office about my policy, they said when you say "off-roading", they think jumping dunes, rolling over boulders and crossing rivers in the middle of nowhere. Which they classify as high risk activities. Examples would be the hard trails at Moab or Cleghorn. They said they would payout even if that was the case but likely drop me afterwards.

However, driving around in the desert, on fireroads & truck trails, camp sites, unpaved roads, etc. are perfectly fine. Examples are the easy truck trails at Moab or Cleghorn. That is not their definition of "off-roading".

Cease11

Reaction score
I just text my farmers agent right now. Waiting for a response now. Let you guys know!

Cease11

Reaction score
Lol. I’m going to call tmw. She’s also going to dig deeper and see. Keep y’all posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online