5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Insulating Ramboxes

porteriow

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking at the possibility of insulating my ram boxes as i live in the middle east its darn hot here in the summer. I loaded up one of the ramboxes with ice and refreshments in the winter and they stayed cool for around 8 hours before all the ice melted.

I am looking to remove the plastic liner and then sticking some self adhesive insulation or ducting insulation to the outside of it and putting it all back together.

Does anyone have any experience with removing the rambox liners and have any idea if there is room to stick insulation to them before i wade in and find out they are a pain to line it all back up again (not that Ram did a great job in the factory) or there is no space to fit the insulation. I will probably only do one side most likely the side without the power outlet.

thanks

Rich

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking at the possibility of insulating my ram boxes as i live in the middle east its darn hot here in the summer. I loaded up one of the ramboxes with ice and refreshments in the winter and they stayed cool for around 8 hours before all the ice melted.

I am looking to remove the plastic liner and then sticking some self adhesive insulation or ducting insulation to the outside of it and putting it all back together.

Does anyone have any experience with removing the rambox liners and have any idea if there is room to stick insulation to them before i wade in and find out they are a pain to line it all back up again (not that Ram did a great job in the factory) or there is no space to fit the insulation. I will probably only do one side most likely the side without the power outlet.

thanks

Rich
@Edwards provided instructions on RamBox removal ages ago. You might search his posts, or maybe he can dig that up for you.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

thanks

Rich

Voila:

You should be able to easily use some thin insulation (at least up to 1/2" thick on sides but not on center bottom as it sits on bed frame) as I mentally picture it. For the center bottom, you might get away with some spray in foam into the honeycomb material without changing the box height in the bay.

porteriow

Reaction score
Voila:

You should be able to easily use some thin insulation (at least up to 1/2" thick on sides but not on center bottom as it sits on bed frame) as I mentally picture it. For the center bottom, you might get away with some spray in foam into the honeycomb material without changing the box height in the bay.

Thanks Edwards for the great write up, i will set to work once i get some time and post some pictures etc. Hopefully i will be able to enjoy a cold brew in the summer heat.

Cheers

Chunkle

Reaction score
Thanks Edwards for the great write up, i will set to work once i get some time and post some pictures etc. Hopefully i will be able to enjoy a cold brew in the summer heat.

Cheers
Did you ever manage to get this completed, or did you hit some issues? Same situation here - 2021 Rebel owner based in the Middle East and looking for options for insulating Rambox to get +/- 24hrs of cooling from a full load of ice rather than then 6-8hrs I'm getting now..It's just not quite enough to keep drinks cool for the morning after a night camping in the desert...

JC4041

Reaction score
Did you ever manage to get this completed, or did you hit some issues? Same situation here - 2021 Rebel owner based in the Middle East and looking for options for insulating Rambox to get +/- 24hrs of cooling from a full load of ice rather than then 6-8hrs I'm getting now..It's just not quite enough to keep drinks cool for the morning after a night camping in the desert...

Worked in UAE for 5 years, even those "fancy" ice chests had issues keeping up with the weather. Probably be easier to get one of those electric ice chests.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Video of the left one being removed to install an air compressor -

RyGuy0062

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I know it's an old thread but since I insulated mine I wanted to share.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230925-180512.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230925-180512.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 25
  • VideoCapture_20230925-180515.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230925-180515.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
  • VideoCapture_20230925-180526.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230925-180526.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 18
  • VideoCapture_20230925-180537.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230925-180537.jpg