5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instrument Cluster Swap and Reprogram

Jbworth86

Reaction score
I have a tradesman and i'm looking to do a cluster swap. I've been looking at threads on the forum and haven't found anything specifically written about this topic. Has anyone done it? Is it plug and play except for the mileage? How do you reprogram the mileage? Thanks!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know about RAM but when I imported an Ferd last yearI had to buy the cluster ($450) then pay another $800 in labor (at Ferd) for the time to re and re it as well as them sending it out to be programmed. They were very picky about the exact mileage (KM changed to Miles). So to give you an idea, it was about $1250.

QuandAns42

Reaction score
Getting the mileage and the rest of the calibrations correct is super important when replacing a cluster, so it's not really a DIY thing, usually. You've got to be above-board, which usually means the dealership and those price tags but I'd recommend this company: https://www.instrumentclusterstore.com/repair_or_replace_instrument_cluster.htm
They deal with clusters exclusively and have the equipment to transfer all the data to a new cluster so that you can install it plug and play.

Rplante3108

Reaction score
I was speaking to someone on here that I sold my 8.4 screen to. He said the AlphaOBD will do the trick and has done it before. Let me check back on my messages and see if he can chime in. I was going to upgrade to the limited cluster

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, believe mileage is burnt into BCM and ECM also. Just need to chat over can with proper witech procedure

Jbworth86

Reaction score
I was speaking to someone on here that I sold my 8.4 screen to. He said the AlphaOBD will do the trick and has done it before. Let me check back on my messages and see if he can chime in. I was going to upgrade to the limited cluster
I emailed the guy who made the AlphaOBD program and he said it cant be used. In addition to the mileage, you have to update the idle hours, drive hours, and total hours. I sent mine out to be programmed and im going to be installing it within a week.

WorkingDad

Reaction score
Where did you get the cluster, and who are you sending it to to get it reprogrammed? I'm looking at a Bighorn with the 3.5 screen and would like the nicer 8" screen someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/