5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instrument cluster scratch fix?

dphel27

Reaction score
So this morning before I left I decided to use a eye cleaning wipe to clean up some dust on my instrument cluster on my 19’ ram. After taking a couple swipes I noticed that it put some fine scratches on the instrument cluster. The sun was shining directly on it so it was easy to see. I tried using a soft microfiber to clean up the fine scratches and was unable to remove them. Has anyone had any experience with this? I called Meguiars and they recommended using their PlastiX product. Is the instrument cluster shield plastic or Polycarbonate? I probably will end up living with it since trying to remedy it may make it worse. Is there any solutions that will remove fine scratches without making it worse?

Thank you

Dan

Lize

Reaction score
I don't know about the Ram but I have a Jap import which has a sort of brown tint on the plastic. Luckily mines OK and I only ever wipe it with a damp microfibre but I know others have used the wrong cleaning stuff and then the answer seems to be continue to remove it all completely. So yes, I'd be rightly cautious in case it has a similar delicate coating.

dphel27

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I took my flashlight on my phone to try to simulate sunlight and noticed the scratching on the ram seems pretty uniform all throughout the cluster lense. I have always used a microfiber for cleaning my wife’s Volvo and noticed the same uniformity of scratches with her car. Honestly if the sun wouldn’t have been shining on it I probably wouldn’t have even noticed it. I think its safe to say if direct sunlight or light shines at the right angle on any type of plastic that’s not anti scratch there’s a good chance you will see some type of minor scratches. I am curious if applying plastix or a polish would make it less noticeable when sunlight shines on it. But for now I think I will live with it.

Lize

Reaction score
Doesn't sound too bad then, as you say all susceptible to scratching.
I am curious if applying plastix or a polish would make it less noticeable when sunlight shines on it
I've never tried it but that's the idea of those products.

Users who are viewing this thread