5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instrument cluster failure

The_D

Reaction score
Hi
New to the group. I have been going through here and didnot seem to find anyone with a similar issue.
My instrument cluster shut off,/ quite illuminating in my 2109. truck is a year old. The digital screen in the center went blank. The dials were still working however.
I could still engage cruise control for example but couldn't see what what going on and such.
I though maybe I had blown a fuse. So I went online to look and did not see much, but found I did have 2 recalls i did not know about.
I made an appointment and took it in. I did find that there was a recall for apparently one 1500 that had a similar issue.
They said the cluster needed to be replaced and the mileage reprogrammed, understand able. I juts think that maybe it shouldn't be to overly complicated to do for the dealership
to reinstall it and program the mileage, but its taking a while.

Anyone else experience this? Am I mistaken and it really is a complicated process to re program the mileage?
I'm a metal smith by trade so I'm not really educated on the computer parts of the vehicles

D

Grayman5752

Reaction score
So whenever we have a cluster that needs replacement, we have to keep the vehicle down at the dealership so its mileage doesn’t change. There is a form that needs to be filled out and sent off to the manufacturer with the vehicle’s actual mileage. They will program the mileage to the cluster and then send it to us for PROXI alignment or configuration to the vehicle. The turnaround time varies but it can take a while, depending on part availability.

I haven’t had to replace a cluster in a DT Ram yet but I would think the process is the same as with the other vehicles I have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomcat68

Reaction score
Fairly confident that the mileage is stored in both the cluster and main computer. Techs will be able to see the mileage and will be able to program it in the new cluster.

I had a 2015 Chrysler 200 with the base gauges and I swapped out that with a 7" gauge pod from eBay, took to dealer and they updated the mileage. I kept track of the miles to be sure but it was no issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Han Ridge

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my instrument cluster display. The display does not come on when I first start the vehicle. After about 1 to 5 minutes of driving the display will come on. I took the truck in for service about 2 weeks ago and they told me I needed a new instrument cluster and it would take 5 to 7 days to get the part in. They told me they needed to keep the truck so the mileage wouldn't change. After 10 days I called to get status on the repair , they then told me the part was back ordered until June 1st and they couldn't guarantee that it would be in even them. I told the service tech that I wanted the loaner if it was going to take that long to get my truck back. The service tech said he would talk to the service manager and get back to me, about an hour later he called and said I could come in and get my truck and that they would call me when the part was in so they could install it. I don't know what the process is for replacing the cluster but i got the feeling that the reason they want to keep the truck was not for the mileage as he had told me but they wanted to keep my truck because they didn't want to reassemble the dash which they had taken apart to diagnose the problem.

The_D

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my instrument cluster display. The display does not come on when I first start the vehicle. After about 1 to 5 minutes of driving the display will come on. I took the truck in for service about 2 weeks ago and they told me I needed a new instrument cluster and it would take 5 to 7 days to get the part in. They told me they needed to keep the truck so the mileage wouldn't change. After 10 days I called to get status on the repair , they then told me the part was back ordered until June 1st and they couldn't guarantee that it would be in even them. I told the service tech that I wanted the loaner if it was going to take that long to get my truck back. The service tech said he would talk to the service manager and get back to me, about an hour later he called and said I could come in and get my truck and that they would call me when the part was in so they could install it. I don't know what the process is for replacing the cluster but i got the feeling that the reason they want to keep the truck was not for the mileage as he had told me but they wanted to keep my truck because they didn't want to reassemble the dash which they had taken apart to diagnose the problem.
Wow. So i'm in the same boat, but I don't have my truck. And your issues sounds just like mine. They gave me a loaner car. I use my truck for work, the car is useless. They offered me a truck later on but under the pretense it does not get scratched and such. I cant guarantee that at all, so I declined it.

The_D

Reaction score
Wow. So i'm in the same boat, but I don't have my truck. And your issues sounds just like mine. They gave me a loaner car. I use my truck for work, the car is useless. They offered me a truck later on but under the pretense it does not get scratched and such. I cant guarantee that at all, so I declined it.
My cluster wont be here until possibly June 1st as well. But They have had the truck a ridiculously long Time. I have begun to wonder if something else isn't being told to me. Other Than That I have to say I love the truck.

Han Ridge

Reaction score
My cluster wont be here until possibly June 1st as well. But They have had the truck a ridiculously long Time. I have begun to wonder if something else isn't being told to me. Other Than That I have to say I love the truck.
I was also concerned about getting damage while on the dealer lot but they did have it in a safe place. When I knew I had to leave the truck I took several pictures and a video to have proof of the condition of the truck when I dropped it off. I don't think that they were telling me the truth about requiring me to leave the truck but I don't know for sure. But if it was the truth why did they give it back to me.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hmm, on my Ferd Edge that I imported from Canada a couple years ago with a metric KPH odometer/speedometer, I had to order the cluster from Ford, took about 2 weeks. The local dealer service tech took a picture of the odometer then told me to not drive it unless it was an emergency.
When the part came in, they installed the already mileage programmed cluster and away I went, to the tune of $1,250. That was a few months ago.
I drove it with KPH cause the math doesn‘t bother me but the Mrs. didn’t like it (and she’s the Canuck) .

Mike 1500

Reaction score
Hello All! This is my first post on here and I wish it was on a more fun topic. This will be lengthy but I can tell you I have become overly educated about this issue as of late. I have the same issue and I dropped off my Ram to the dealer on 4/20/20. They called me the next day and told me I needed the new cluster and that the truck needed to stay with them due to FCA requiring that cluster replacements be done through an exchange meaning the new cluster would have my trucks current mileage, engine hours, and idle hours burned into it at the factory that makes the cluster. The new cluster would then be put into my truck and my original cluster would be sent to the factory for refurbishing and then used later as another replacement. I left my truck with the dealer and after 3 weeks of not even receiving an ETA on the new part, a case was opened with customer care on Friday 5/15/20. It wasn't until Wednesday 5/20/20 that I even got to speak with my case manager who then told me that the factory that produces my cluster is not even open due to Covid-19. I went back to the dealer and picked up my truck rather than leave it sitting out in their lot any longer. I found an Ebay seller that has this cluster supposedly in new condition with "0" miles. I asked the service manager if FCA would at least cover their labor to install under warranty if I was willing to purchase the cluster and he was told no by FCA as they would not warranty a part that did not come from them. At this point, my case is still open and the case manager is supposed to speak with the dealership about a game plan to move forward whenever the factory is up and running. She is then supposed to call me to update me. I understand that there are a lot of problems being caused by this Covid situation but the lack of timely communication on this has been ridiculous to say the least. I keep hoping that I find a loose connection or something, LOL!

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Hello All! This is my first post on here and I wish it was on a more fun topic. This will be lengthy but I can tell you I have become overly educated about this issue as of late. I have the same issue and I dropped off my Ram to the dealer on 4/20/20. They called me the next day and told me I needed the new cluster and that the truck needed to stay with them due to FCA requiring that cluster replacements be done through an exchange meaning the new cluster would have my trucks current mileage, engine hours, and idle hours burned into it at the factory that makes the cluster. The new cluster would then be put into my truck and my original cluster would be sent to the factory for refurbishing and then used later as another replacement. I left my truck with the dealer and after 3 weeks of not even receiving an ETA on the new part, a case was opened with customer care on Friday 5/15/20. It wasn't until Wednesday 5/20/20 that I even got to speak with my case manager who then told me that the factory that produces my cluster is not even open due to Covid-19. I went back to the dealer and picked up my truck rather than leave it sitting out in their lot any longer. I found an Ebay seller that has this cluster supposedly in new condition with "0" miles. I asked the service manager if FCA would at least cover their labor to install under warranty if I was willing to purchase the cluster and he was told no by FCA as they would not warranty a part that did not come from them. At this point, my case is still open and the case manager is supposed to speak with the dealership about a game plan to move forward whenever the factory is up and running. She is then supposed to call me to update me. I understand that there are a lot of problems being caused by this Covid situation but the lack of timely communication on this has been ridiculous to say the least. I keep hoping that I find a loose connection or something, LOL!
Sorry you’ve had the problem, hope it gets resolved soon. From 4/21 thru at least 5/22 is a bit long...
Supply chain distribution issues, lack of communication, not caring enough about the customer... Pick any 2.

The_D

Reaction score
I dropped my off truck off April 7th . I still dont have it. My case manager with FCA was rude and was/is pretty useless. She told me nothing about a factory being closed. Nobody from FCA ever answered my emails and I had responded to the email they sent me. I was never given the option to have my truck back. I was told 3-5 days when I dropped it off. had I known it would take this long i would have tried to make other arrangements . I am self employed and need the truck for work, and a loaner truck that i have to be very concerned about scratching when I go to the metal yards or put my pets in for vet trips is not an option.

The_D

Reaction score
I was told on April 7th that the new cluster had to be reprogrammed to match the old one and that the clusters were being mailed to a company that does it.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
That’s rough, you got caught up in the supply chain closure nightmare...
It’s always somethin’ it seems.

The_D

Reaction score
Finally got my truck back.

that was absolutely ridiculous.

they had it for 2 months. returned it extremely dirty, and with rotten wipers

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’d run it right back and tell them to clean it. Don’t know what shape the wipers were in but ask for that too.

Han Ridge

Reaction score
Good to hear you got your truck back. I heard from Ram today that my gauge cluster should be delivered early next week.

Powereng

Reaction score
My issue is a little different, but still concerns the instrument cluster. My problem is that the digital and analog speed indicated is 10% out, not bad around town, but could be costly on the highway. Which is correct? So what the dealer determined is that the cluster needs to be replaced but they didn't ask to keep the truck. Lets see how long it takes to get the part, ordered on June 06 The dealer said that there is another truck with the same issue. How many others?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You all should be lemon lawing the trucks. 30 days out of service, new truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online