5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Instrument cluster and 12" display dimming.

HMC8403

Reaction score
I'm still learning my new Ram Limited and can't figure something out.

I have the cluster/display brightness set to the highest level but not clicked to maximum. In the daytime when my wipers activate the headlights, the dash and 12" switch to night mode and are too dark to view so I roll the dimmer to max. Then at night the nav screen is too bright and I have to roll the dimmer off of max.

Is there something in setup I am missing?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still learning my new Ram Limited and can't figure something out.

I have the cluster/display brightness set to the highest level but not clicked to maximum. In the daytime when my wipers activate the headlights, the dash and 12" switch to night mode and are too dark to view so I roll the dimmer to max. Then at night the nav screen is too bright and I have to roll the dimmer off of max.

Is there something in setup I am missing?
In UConnect, you can change the settings for day and night manually; they are automatically set by default, and the contrast is pretty severe.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's not really anything to do that will solve this for you, as this is a product of a federal regulation that states that any time your windshield wipers are on, your headlights must be on. Anytime the auto wipers swing more than twice, the truck automatically turns on the headlamps, and your cluster and screen assume their respective night settings.

Rick J

Reaction score
There's not really anything to do that will solve this for you, as this is a product of a federal regulation that states that any time your windshield wipers are on, your headlights must be on. Anytime the auto wipers swing more than twice, the truck automatically turns on the headlamps, and your cluster and screen assume their respective night settings.
Really? I've never heard of this regulation but I know in my Limited I can turn off the setting that has the headlights come on with the wipers in the uconnect.
Headlights With Wipers — If Equipped--On - Off
I've had the same problem with instrument panel intensity when wipers come on during the day so I turned off the headlight on feature.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really? I've never heard of this regulation but I know in my Limited I can turn off the setting that has the headlights come on with the wipers in the uconnect.
Headlights With Wipers — If Equipped--On - Off
I've had the same problem with instrument panel intensity when wipers come on during the day so I turned off the headlight on feature.

My Laramie has the setting in Uconnect to turn headlights on or off with wipers too. I had this setting on my 2015 RAM Sport as well.

HMC8403

Reaction score
I know that Illinois state law states that headlights must be on when it’s raining; didn’t know it was federal. I respect this law because I almost hit a car that didn’t during heavy rain in the middle of the day.

Will have to play around with the uconnect setting.

Rick J

Reaction score
This post piqued my curiosity so I had to look for a law that requires headlights with wipers. It is not a Federal law but many states require it.
States With Windshield Wiper/Headlight Laws
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Delaware
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Missouri
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
Learn something every day :LOL:

DannyMc

Reaction score
This post piqued my curiosity so I had to look for a law that requires headlights with wipers. It is not a Federal law but many states require it.
States With Windshield Wiper/Headlight Laws
  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Delaware
  • Illinois
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Missouri
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia
Learn something every day :LOL:
Florida requires lights when it’s raining.

Rick J

Reaction score
Florida requires lights when it’s raining.
That can't be. I got my list from the internet and it is always right :LOL: J/K. Yes, Florida does require lights with rain and the internet was finally wrong on something. I will never trust the internet again. :mad:

demechler

Reaction score
In UConnect, you can change the settings for day and night manually; they are automatically set by default, and the contrast is pretty severe.
Those settings only effect the Uconnect display (12" in my case), not the gauge display cluster. My EVIC is not bright enough unless I turn the rheostat past the detent point THEN my Uconnect goes to daytime mode! First of all the display rheostat goes from about 50% directly to 100% when the detent is engaged! Seems that they should be able to disengage the rheostat from the media display or have the rheostat go to 90%+ BEFORE the detent is used.....

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
it is not a federal law
it is a state by state law

Users who are viewing this thread