5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing SteelCraft 5" Black Oval Running Boards on the Quad Cab

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a month of running board fiascos with the dealer (who ordered Gen 4 after assuring me he was ordering the right ones), I went online and found what I was looking for. For those who gave up on Running Boards until after SEMA, there are far more options today (mid Sep) than in May when I ordered the truck The Steel Crafts extend far enough to serve as a door ding reducer while making entry and egress a breeze for my wife who is 5'.

I ordered the running boards on 9/17. I was told it would be 10 "business days" before delivery (aka three weeks). However, the items shipped from the factory on 9/19 and arrived via the Brown Truck of Happiness on 9/26. Price was $267.25, which included $35 shipping. This was with the 10% "military discount."

Installation was a breeze. It took me 40 minutes. A first timer with little mechanical inclination can do these in under 60 minutes. No need to raise the truck, as there is plenty of room under there (and I'm not a small person).

Tools required:
  1. 13mm 1/2" drive socket or 13mm deep socket if using a 3/8" socket set. You could also get by with a 13mm wrench.
  2. wire brush

Optional: WD40 (put on studs after wire brushing)

Part: SteelCraft® 423809BP - 5" Premium Cab Length Black Oval Side Bars

Steps:
  1. Wire brush the 18 studs (three sets of three on each side) to remove paint and overspray. I did all 18 studs first. There was little paint on the passenger side studs, but the driver's side required about additional work with the wire wheel attached to my drill. A brush would also work. 10 minutes.
  2. Install brackets. All six brackets are universal fit for our '19 Ram. This makes things pretty easy. Three 13mm nuts and a washer on each bracket. Simple. 15 minutes. Do not over tighten. If using a hand wrench, not a torque wrench, 30# is "firm but not forceful."
  3. The boards attach with six bolts on each side. They rest nicely on the brackets, making this truly a one person job. 5 minutes
  4. Admire and pictures, 10 minutes
Screenshot 2018-09-28 20.16.58.png

Screenshot 2018-09-28 20.17.14.png

Screenshot 2018-09-29 09.44.03.png

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They must have raised the price. Mine are black, not polished, as that makes a difference. Yes, all brackets and mounting hardware comes with the boards. I am very satisfied with them.

danhshopper

Reaction score
They must have raised the price. Mine are black, not polished, as that makes a difference. Yes, all brackets and mounting hardware comes with the boards. I am very satisfied with them.
Just deleted my post. I figured out yours is Quad Cab and I'm looking for Crew Cab. I think that accounts for the price difference. I'm ordering now!

Reactions: 356

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just deleted my post. I figured out yours is Quad Cab and I'm looking for Crew Cab. I think that accounts for the price difference. I'm ordering now!
l believe you will be pleased with the running boards. They look great and function well. Post pictures once they are on.

Users who are viewing this thread