5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing side steps

Bwarren2

Reaction score
I think everyone who has done this has commented that the hardest part is removing pant from the bolts. Has anyone tried rubbing or spraying the bolts with paint remover?

Lonestar21

Reaction score
It’s actually not that bad it’s just sucks having to do it.

But yes I rubbed the bolts with paint remover and then used a wheel brush attached to a normal cordless drill right after, and I was done quick pretty easy process.

Nj921

Reaction score
I put mine on last night. First couple threads on each were pretty tight, but got half way and backed the nut off to clean out the threads and tightened with no issues. Wasn’t as bad as most seem to say it is. Maybe some have more spray than others.

bdm219

Reaction score
I used a drill with a wire wheel. I didn't think of using paint thinner. It took longer to remove the paint than to install the OEM side steps. It's a bit of a pain, but better than those nutserts they used to use. The studs make it easier for it to be a one person job, as in my case.

Eguzowski

Reaction score
I did mine today, chased the threads first (stinks, a bit time consuming) then the install was a breeze.

naiza3k

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, looking to add this as well.
Which side step did everyone go with?

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought about using thinner or paint remover but the overspray is on really thick. Like 3 or more layers of primer and paint. On some of my bolts I could barely see the thread lol. I used dremel with wire brush wheel. Lots of good options to remove the paint.

I cross-threaded the first nut I tried because I didn't remove enough paint and tried to muscle it on. Luckily it wasn't that messed up and could fix the thread.

Dontfront82

Reaction score
I think everyone who has done this has commented that the hardest part is removing pant from the bolts. Has anyone tried rubbing or spraying the bolts with paint remover?

I used paint remover, the good stuff called chisel. Spray lightly and watch for the wind. Let it sit once for 5 mins wipe with towel, respray and let sit another 5 mins and I installed my side steps in 45mins using a impact

Users who are viewing this thread