5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing RL 3.5” SST lift on top of existing Bilstein adjustable shock leveling kit

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Apologize I know there’s already tons of discussions on this general topic but hoping to get guidance on my specific situation...I’m getting ready to install RL 3.5 SST kit on top of my Bilstein 5100 adjustable shock leveling kit. I set the Bilsteins at highest position giving it a perfect level with stock rear. Just wondering how adding RL 3.5 SST kit on top of my setup would go...Would I need to lower the Bilsteins and if so to what level? Or just keep Bilsteins at the current level and just add the 2” RL spacer, UCAs, but not the 1.5” top hats, and the 2” spacers and bump stops in the rear (ie install everything but the front 1.5” top hat spacers on the existing setup)?...Thanks in advance. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Sugar

Reaction score
You would want to keep the top hat spacer for this and get rid of the preload spacer. For your application, you will be using the 5100 on I believe setting 3 or 4 (someone else can verify which?) and using the top hat spacer. The 5100 basically works the same way as a preload spacer by compressing the spring for additional lift.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Can you measure the lower and top spacers in that setup?. I'm curious as to what their actual thickness measurement is. Whatever you do, you should not exceed 3" if you want to offroad.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
The coil and top hat spacers combine for 3.5” lift (2.0” coil spacer + 1.5” top hat) which is why I believe what Sugar said would be more of a right approach however not sure dropping shock clip down from current setting would give me 3.5” lift in front because it’s already at 2” level with Bilstein adjustables at the highest setting.

Fortunately I was able to reach out to our resident Readylift vendor Tstevenson325, which is awesome to have him as a member of 5thgenram, and he advised me recommended install based on current setup. It’s basically drop Bilstein adjustable shocks down to factory setting and just install kit on top of that.

I’m shooting to have installed this Friday and hope to have pics to post.

Thank you both for your advice!

Ram Dude

Reaction score
The coil and top hat spacers combine for 3.5” lift (2.0” coil spacer + 1.5” top hat) which is why I believe what Sugar said would be more of a right approach however not sure dropping shock clip down from current setting would give me 3.5” lift in front because it’s already at 2” level with Bilstein adjustables at the highest setting.

Fortunately I was able to reach out to our resident Readylift vendor Tstevenson325, which is awesome to have him as a member of 5thgenram, and he advised me recommended install based on current setup. It’s basically drop Bilstein adjustable shocks down to factory setting and just install kit on top of that.

Now you know what’s likely next...new larger tires 🙄😂...It’s a real sickness 😩😂...But I have new NRG 305/55/20s on now that look really good, so before I pull the trigger on 34s or 35s I’m going to see what it looks like...Maybe I can get y’all’s opinion once upload pics 👍🏾.

Sugar

Reaction score

I may be wrong, but I assumed that the top hat spacer was 2” since it was the same one used from their leveling kit. Someone that has purchased it can verify though to be sure.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Sorry I probably used the wrong terminology, meant preload “puck” spacer is 2” and top hat is 1.5”. Completed install Friday and shop only used the top hats and adjusted bilsteins down to level 5 for a perfect 3.5” lift/level all around. Trucks dirty now but hoping to clean today and upload pics. Also ironically as I was leaving the shop a white night edition pulled up, exact same truck as mine, with the 3.5 RL and 295/65/20s 😍🤩...Needless to say I ran to Discount Tire the next morning and swapped out the 33s for 35s 😂🤪...Looks PERFECT now! Thankfully Discount did me a solid and only charged me the difference between old and new tires, so came out to only like $75/tire ($317 total) out the door, tax, certs and all 👍🏾.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Cleaned her up. Here’s a pic with new RL 3.5 SST and 35” Ridge Grapplers (uploaded as my new profile/signature photo)...What do y’all think?

Attachments

• AF250962-6F99-48E0-8796-B960AFD01987.jpeg
    AF250962-6F99-48E0-8796-B960AFD01987.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 331

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
Cleaned her up. Here’s a pic with new RL 3.5 SST and 35” Ridge Grapplers (uploaded as my new profile/signature photo)...What do y’all think?
Truck looks great! I went with #4 Setting when I had my lift installed. I wanted to keep about an inch of rake.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Truck looks great! I went with #4 Setting when I had my lift installed. I wanted to keep about an inch of rake.
Thanks BiG. Like the rake look too with our setup. Got any pics?

ESH_Built

Reaction score
Truck looks badass! I’ve had my head wrapped around this idea for a while now, so I’ve been also wanting to do the RL 3.5” lift with bilstein shocks to have a better ride. The bilsteins set at setting 5 have you fully leveled? I have been reading some do setting 4. Also how is the ride?

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Thanks ESH! Ride is awesome with front adjustable bilsteins vs preload spacer setup. Setting 5 is perfectly level. Setting 4 gives you rake. Either is fine I just like the beastly look setting 5 leveled gives you. Like I said ride quality is same or better than stock, but I unfortunately went to the Hellwig Sway bar post and looks like I’ll be spending more dough on on another mod now 🙄😂. Can’t wait to get it and install after reading all the positive posts.

Lights Out

Reaction score
Sick! I want to do the RL SST 3.5 very soon with 34's Nitto graps. how much of a hit on MPG did you take?

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Def take a hit on MPGs. Down to 13’s now 😩 but I get stopped all the time with new Ram owners (particularly Big Horn/Lone Star owners) inquiring about my setup.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Wouldn’t go any higher than 3.5” lift. It’s the perfect amount of lift for our Rams, maintaining that Ram quality ride without sacrificing suspension issues/ride quality. Go for it. RL 3.5” SST lift with Bilstein ride height adjustable shocks is the sh**!

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Sweeet! 🤩...That actually looks level. Don’t see any rake. You sure that’s on 4? 🤔...At certain angles mine appears a little nose high so thought about taking down a notch but was concerned it would take the lift/level look away but seeing yours makes me think not. Thanks!...Apart from headlights our trucks look a lot alike 😊

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Was at my shop today getting suspension retorqued, adding .5” wheel spacers and Hellwig sway bar, and saw 6” RC lift kit installed on a Tundra 🤩🤩...Makes me want to eat my words on going any higher than 3.5” 😂...Tundra only had 35” tires and it looked great but damn it kept rubbing every time they thought they were done and driving out. They just kept trimming and cutting. I’d think with 6” of lift and only 35’s it’d have no problems with rubbing. Maybe something with Tundra wheel well design or something 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Users who are viewing this thread