5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installing brake controller- is flashing required?

Hyper17

Reaction score
Hi, just got a 2020 1500. Loving it. Want to install my Tekonsha brake controller once I get my 3024-P adapter. Looks pretty easy like my other prewired tow vehicles. Just wanted clarification on whether or not it needs to be flashed. Dealer told me even aftermarkets need to be flashed, & that connection is dead until flashed , but also read it’s not needed & that you just sacrifice not having on screen access . Can anyone clarify? Thanks!

Last edited:

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Hi, just got a 2020 1500. Loving it. Want to install my Tekonsha brake controller once I get my 3024-P adapter. Looks pretty easy like my other prewired tow vehicles. Just wanted clarification on whether or not it needs to be flashed. Dealer told me even aftermarkets need to be flashed, & that connection is dead until flashed , but also read it’s not needed & that you just sacrifice not having on screen access . Can anyone clarify? Thanks!
Your dealer has no idea what they are talking about. Aftermarket units can't be sales coded in to the truck and have on screen access.
The factory model is the only one that can be integrated. Dealer would have to input the sales code or you can do it yourself with AlfaOBD.

Ramaroo

Reaction score
I have a Curt controller and I never had to get anything done at the dealer and it works fine.
Did you do a generic wiring install (tapping into things like the brake pedal sensor itself), or use the truck's built in 4 wire trailer brake controller harness? My truck's built in connector seems dead with regards to power and the brake pedal sensor's input wire.

baumann6

Reaction score
Did you do a generic wiring install (tapping into things like the brake pedal sensor itself), or use the truck's built in 4 wire trailer brake controller harness? My truck's built in connector seems dead with regards to power and the brake pedal sensor's input wire.
All I did was plug it into the factory wire harness that was tied up under the dash

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/