5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed Trailer Brake Controller Today

RookieB555

Reaction score
My used Limited came pretty optioned up, but no trailer brake controller, about the only feature it didn't come with. But I saw they were easy enough to add after the fact so I didn't let that stop me from purchasing it. Got the kit from Infotainment since it came with the ODB Genie and would save me a trip to the dealer to program things.

Install is straightforward, just like the videos. The only sketchy part is getting the 12" center screen out. Only two screws but it requires a firm tug to get out. Got it out ok, once out I just had a microfiber towel handy to lay it on.

Factory switch goes in pretty easy, same with the module. Nice to have everything pre-wired.

Only real issue for me was the programming. Followed their video, makes it seems like a simple thing. In my case, after programming the truck was acting up.

At first, I got an error code about the air suspension not working, and the AC didn't work at all. Took a break, ate dinner, then checked and the AC was working again, TBC worked and the menu appeared on the dash screen and seemed functional, but no trailer menu in the 12" screen's settings. Took another break, went to get gas, and now the trailer menu showed up, really strange but oh well, all working.

IMG_2882.JPG IMG_2883.JPG IMG_2884.JPG IMG_2887.JPG

Side note, I ordered this kit last minute before a camping trip and it didn't arrive in time. Even after paying for upgraded shipping and being in the same state as them. Our travel trailer weighs about 7,500 pounds so I wasn't going to run without the trailer brakes. So for the trip I used a Curt Echo wireless brake controller that we found used on Offerup. It was a lifesaver and worked great! Just a heads up in case you need something and don't have the factory TBC.

IMG_2885.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread