5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed King 2.5 Coilovers on my Rebel

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased some king shocks recently but they took a while for them to be put on since my truck was in a fender bender and was at the shop for two months. Anyways... the kit came out to be around 4100 with tax and another 450 for installation and alignment(I did the rears myself). The coilovers up front settle in and the ride height goes down so I will need to re-adjust them after the 1000 mile "break in" period. So far I like the shocks with the stock tune from king. The BDS upper control arm was purchased due to their great warranty claim.

Many people think that these coilover set ups give you an all around great ride but that is not true. They ride a bit stiff on the street but its a whole other story when you're out in the dirt. Totally worth the money. Crusing through the trails going between 50-60mph never felt so good; however, I still think there is room for improvement so I will be taking them in for a custom tune at AccuTune Suspension in Carson California. 20200920_181914.jpg IMG_20200922_212403_380.jpg 20200901_183120.jpg 20200830_150240.jpg 20200920_173117.jpg

Last edited:

Downytide

Reaction score
Can you give some comparison notes?

Does it reduce the wobbling during turn in on the streets? does the additional travel make it better on potholes? does it offer more flexing?

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you give some comparison notes?

Does it reduce the wobbling during turn in on the streets? does the additional travel make it better on potholes? does it offer more flexing?
I still feel a slight wobble when turning at low speeds, potholes on the street are slightly better and the flexing is still the same due to the sway bar ,it doesn't change much. Washboard roads don't feel that good with the stock king tune as its a bit stiff so I'm going to try and get a tune for that. I feel like king tunes them for small jumps because when the shocks extend all the way out the landing is really reallt soft.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
I had the opposite effect in my Kings, the OE specs were too soft, i have a 4th gen RAM so the valving may be different. Accutune did their flutter valving and i ask them to tune so they will resist bigger potholes, and also at low speed washboards they were a little rough so i had to speed up to about 40mph and up to turn them plush, now i only need to go to about 25-30mph.

You have the mid speed adjuster so you don't get to tune low and high speed compression but Accutune can make the adjuster a lot more useable than what King added into the OE specs. You should have gotten the Kings directly from Accutune or Filthy Motorsports. i did the same mistake and the re-valving might not be as cheap. In my case Accutune had to change the rear piston on my OE shocks because they were digressive even though Kings advertised their shocks to have linear valving so i had to pay a little bit more. When you order from them the valving cost is included in the price and is much cheaper to do all this when you order your shocks, plus you can revalve one more time at no cost.

Where is this Schmdit trail ? never heard of it before. i'm in Socal and i wheel in Big Bear, Joshua Tree, Ocotillo Wells/Anza Borrego, Cleghorn, Pilot Rock etc.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the opposite effect in my Kings, the OE specs were too soft, i have a 4th gen RAM so the valving may be different. Accutune did their flutter valving and i ask them to tune so they will resist bigger potholes, and also at low speed washboards they were a little rough so i had to speed up to about 40mph and up to turn them plush, now i only need to go to about 25-30mph.

You have the mid speed adjuster so you don't get to tune low and high speed compression but Accutune can make the adjuster a lot more useable than what King added into the OE specs. You should have gotten the Kings directly from Accutune or Filthy Motorsports. i did the same mistake and the re-valving might not be as cheap. In my case Accutune had to change the rear piston on my OE shocks because they were digressive even though Kings advertised their shocks to have linear valving so i had to pay a little bit more. When you order from them the valving cost is included in the price and is much cheaper to do all this when you order your shocks, plus you can revalve one more time at no cost.

Where is this Schmdit trail ? never heard of it before. i'm in Socal and i wheel in Big Bear, Joshua Tree, Ocotillo Wells/Anza Borrego, Cleghorn, Pilot Rock etc.
I actually did purchase from filthy motorsports and I initially paid for the custom valving option but the owner Ben called me saying if I wanted to remove it. He told me he thought I would be happy with the stock king tune so I agreed and felt like it wasn't necessary otherwise he would have easily took my money and probably done nothing lol. I am happy with them but I really need to fix the washboard road handling. That trail is inside of Hungry Valley SVRA. Best ohv Park in SoCal in my opinion.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
I actually did purchase from filthy motorsports and I initially paid for the custom valving option but the owner Ben called me saying if I wanted to remove it. He told me he thought I would be happy with the stock king tune so I agreed and felt like it wasn't necessary otherwise he would have easily took my money and probably done nothing lol. I am happy with them but I really need to fix the washboard road handling. That trail is inside of Hungry Valley SVRA. Best ohv Park in SoCal in my opinion.
Ask Ben if they will still honor a free revalving :) otherwise it'll cost you $125 per shock.
Accutune is local and cost the same so you can save shipping dropping them off with them if that's the route you'll have to take.

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
Don’t forget Thuren for King shocks. Not sure if they will tune Kings you already own, but they are very well respected in the Ram community.

Downytide

Reaction score
I still feel a slight wobble when turning at low speeds, potholes on the street are slightly better and the flexing is still the same due to the sway bar ,it doesn't change much. Washboard roads don't feel that good with the stock king tune as its a bit stiff so I'm going to try and get a tune for that. I feel like king tunes them for small jumps because when the shocks extend all the way out the landing is really reallt soft.

How "washboard" is the washboard roads near you? that's the thing I want so I can yeehaw my way down the roads that I drive on everyday.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ask Ben if they will still honor a free revalving :) otherwise it'll cost you $125 per shock.
Accutune is local and cost the same so you can save shipping dropping them off with them if that's the route you'll have to take.
Thats a good idea but I think the shipping will take forever and perhaps round up to the same thing.

How "washboard" is the washboard roads near you? that's the thing I want so I can yeehaw my way down the roads that I drive on everyday.
Well the trail that I hit was full of really sandy washboard road almost to the point where you need 4wd to be able to maneuver the truck the way you want it to go. I'd say about 3" ripples in the dirt

Last edited:

Downytide

Reaction score
Hmmmmm damn it its so hard!

I talked to Ben about it and it seems it'll be suitable for my need, but I really don't wan to spend that kinda dough then need adjustments made that involves removing the suspension, then ship from Canada to Colorado.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmmmm damn it its so hard!

I talked to Ben about it and it seems it'll be suitable for my need, but I really don't wan to spend that kinda dough then need adjustments made that involves removing the suspension, then ship from Canada to Colorado.
Yea these high performance shocks are expensive and then u start breaking more stuff on the trail lol my tailgate latch isn't functioning well since this trip haha. But I kinda regret not ordering them from my local shop "accutune".

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online