5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Installed airsprings and "thump" disappeared

irishwake63

Reaction score
I have had this thump when starting out that I first thought that it was the brakes releasing slow or sticking, then I read that some thought it was driveshaft or tranny. I installed air helper springs yesterday and what a pain this brand did not fold into a hot dog shape to slide into the spring like they did on my classic so I had to remove springs themselves and put inside the springs. All installed now and I noticed that so far driving into work that the "thump" has disappeared could it be the angle of the driveshaft? Im sure its just a temp thing and it will return along with all the other issues RAM has on my truck but just throwing it out there how can it be related?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had this thump when starting out that I first thought that it was the brakes releasing slow or sticking, then I read that some thought it was driveshaft or tranny. I installed air helper springs yesterday and what a pain this brand did not fold into a hot dog shape to slide into the spring like they did on my classic so I had to remove springs themselves and put inside the springs. All installed now and I noticed that so far driving into work that the "thump" has disappeared could it be the angle of the driveshaft? Im sure its just a temp thing and it will return along with all the other issues RAM has on my truck but just throwing it out there how can it be related?

In the process of removing and re-installing the springs, you moved the suspension more than usual and maybe telescoped the driveshaft more than usual, so a little bit of grease got smeared into the splines. Just a guess, see if it comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online