5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Install Tow Hooks, Active Air Dam Service Mode?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I've finally acquired all the parts and getting ready to install tow hooks on the front of my BigHorn, and of course the active air dam is in the way of any wrenching in that area. The install instructions show the air dam deployed. I know it's just a drawing, but it got me wondering. Is there a service mode or some easy way to deploy the air dam while the truck is stationary, so that I don't have to disconnect and unbolt the thing to get it out of the way?

puba08

Reaction score
Don’t have to unbolt anything but the tow hook covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sanders

Reaction score
I unplugged mine for a few days and didn’t get any faults then completely removed it.

Konrad

Reaction score
I installed the hooks in my 2019 BH without issues with the dam. It was almost 3 years ago so I don't recall much, details but I remember it was a quick and easy upgrade. I'd certainly remember any problems with the air dam.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put them on mine too. I didn't take the air dam off or deploy it, although that would have made it a little easier.
The only real issue you'll have with it is when the bolt is almost completely out (it's wicked long), you kinda have to maneuver around it. Not an issue at all. Tow hook install is maybe a 1 hour job tops, probably less.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put them on mine too. I didn't take the air dam off or deploy it, although that would have made it a little easier.
The only real issue you'll have with it is when the bolt is almost completely out (it's wicked long), you kinda have to maneuver around it. Not an issue at all. Tow hook install is maybe a 1 hour job tops, probably less.
Okay, I got the bolts loosened up. Might be possible to get that far without removing the active air dam, but at some point the crazy long bolts have to come all the way out. Really, it's much easier to just remove the active air dam. So on to the next problem...

Those crazy long bolts are captive. They don't just fall out of the hole. Must be some kind of clip up inside the body mount, and I can't see it. So who knows the combination to get these bolts out? Do I just apply lots of pull with a big pry bar or something and assume it will break the capture clip without damaging the bolt? The install instructions don't mention this problem, may be something new.

Help, anyone?

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Okay, I got the bolts loosened up. Might be possible to get that far without removing the active air dam, but at some point the crazy long bolts have to come all the way out. Really, it's much easier to just remove the active air dam. So on to the next problem...

Those crazy long bolts are captive. They don't just fall out of the hole. Must be some kind of clip up inside the body mount, and I can't see it. So who knows the combination to get these bolts out? Do I just apply lots of pull with a big pry bar or something and assume it will break the capture clip without damaging the bolt? The install instructions don't mention this problem, may be something new.

Help, anyone?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah, yes, the big friendly hammer. You'd think something that significant would be mentioned in the instructions. Thanks for the vid link! It's clouding up and cooling off, so I'll probably finish this off tomorrow.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got 'em on. Didn't have to resort to hammering, I pulled the bolts with a piece of scrap two by four, small trim demolition bar, and large pliers. Didn't get the active air dam back on yet, I think it's going to need paint. Factory built this part with no paint or plating on the shaft, just raw steel and it's got some nasty rust spots on it already. Have to check my sandpaper and rustoleum inventory.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back to you on the install question, but looks like you got the info you needed.

Like yours I didn't hammer it to get the bolt out. I applied downward pressure and kept "unscrewing" it. I don't really think it's threaded so it wasn't exactly coming out at a regular pitch, but it worked well enough to get the job done. The way I did it was kind of a pain. A lot of cranking on the wrench and my arm got tired. Not difficult but hammering it out, or prying it like you did may have been an easier option.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like yours I didn't hammer it to get the bolt out. I applied downward pressure and kept "unscrewing" it. I don't really think it's threaded so it wasn't exactly coming out at a regular pitch, but it worked well enough to get the job done. The way I did it was kind of a pain. A lot of cranking on the wrench and my arm got tired. Not difficult but hammering it out, or prying it like you did may have been an easier option.
They are strange little push nuts.
PUSHNUTS.JPG
Thanks for all the help.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I expected. They'll spin in the thread with pressure, but not evenly like a nut will do.
I'm surprised you were able to get them out. I never saw mine. They'll just rattle around in the frame and drive me nuts I guess.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
seems like overkill just to keep a bezel in lol nuts on top these on the bottom ugh
These are on the long bolts that go through the overly-complex isolation bushings that hold body and frame together. My guess is that they are mostly for assembly line, so the bolts don't fall out on the way before the body gets dropped on. But in my case, makes later disassembly a little more difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread