5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

install Mopar Cab Protector and Mopar Mudguards on my new 2019 Rebel

MEL T

Reaction score
I installed on my new truck the Mopar cab protector / headache rack P/N 8221549AB... and Front and Rear mud guards for fender flares P/N 82215488AB & 82215489AB..... I was disappointed with the mud guards they are going to be rock catchers. 1.4 front.jpg 3.4 rear4.jpg 20190524_124529.jpg 20190524_124612.jpg front splash 2.jpg rear splash 3.jpg

TMD78

Reaction score
I installed the mud flaps and the adhesive isn’t the greatest, been on the truck 3 weeks and the passenger side adhesive already failed at the car wash. I bolted and drilled everything per the directions, but the adhesive leaves little to be desired

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, I wonder if this works with the ramboxes?

OP, do you plan on putting on the LED lights later?

Last edited:

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha - shame it looks very nice!
Part of me wonders then, what's under the black plastic caps nearest to the cabin?

On an un-related note, I'm glad Ram went with the black exhaust tips factory on the rebel - OP's looks awesome in those photos.

MEL T

Reaction score
Gotcha - shame it looks very nice!
Part of me wonders then, what's under the black plastic caps nearest to the cabin?

On an un-related note, I'm glad Ram went with the black exhaust tips factory on the rebel - OP's looks awesome in those photos.

if you are referring to the plugs in the protector. there are three of them. two on the bottom of the top rail and one fwd on the rail at the left bracket to allow you to run wiring. at this time I am not planning to add lights. i wanted the protector to help protect rear glass when I haul my 4 wheeler.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you mean the plastic covers between the cab and the rambox, they just pop off. What isn’t under them is stake pockets.

The cab protecter has two problems, first it is designed to use the stake pockets, second is that the base of the protecter extends over the rambox by several inches

ramhead

Reaction score
I installed on my new truck the Mopar cab protector / headache rack P/N 8221549AB... and Front and Rear mud guards for fender flares P/N 82215488AB & 82215489AB..... I was disappointed with the mud guards they are going to be rock catchers. View attachment 26279 View attachment 26280 View attachment 26281 View attachment 26282 View attachment 26283 View attachment 26284

Noticed you didn't use the plastic rivets that come with the OEM splash guards to affix that inner hole....did you use the "serrated" push in clip that you removed or an aftermarket push in clip of the same type in lieu of rivets?? What about the backside area where rivets are instructed to be used?

Rebel19NJ

Reaction score
I recently bought the rear mud OEM splash guards from amazon.. (Cheaper then dealer/mopar by the way) . After opening them and reading the instructions i will NOT be installing them. They slide over the existing "mud guards" that are about 3 inches and mopar is relying on a piece of double sided tape to keep them attached to the side of the fender flare.. I would NOT recommend these.

ramhead

Reaction score
I recently bought the rear mud OEM splash guards from amazon.. (Cheaper then dealer/mopar by the way) . After opening them and reading the instructions i will NOT be installing them. They slide over the existing "mud guards" that are about 3 inches and mopar is relying on a piece of double sided tape to keep them attached to the side of the fender flare.. I would NOT recommend these.

I got mine thrown in for free when buying truck but they are not on yet - dealer has them and I have to go in to have them installed but now I'm thinking of going with Weathertechs on my own - Did you decide on what you're gonna get? I saw the Mopar ones require drilling which is ridiculous and I'm also not a fan of the adhesive strip or the whole setup.

Last edited:

MEL T

Reaction score
Noticed you didn't use the plastic rivets that come with the OEM splash guards to affix that inner hole....did you use the "serrated" push in clip that you removed or an aftermarket push in clip of the same type in lieu of rivets?? What about the backside area where rivets are instructed to be used?
I used aftermarket pushin pins like you find in trim panels, and fenderwell liners

Red Raider

Reaction score
I bought the Mopar set. Installing tomorrow. Expect to drill a few extra slots in the bottom to keep them washed out. Not the best of designs, but the best fit and flow, IMO, in how thry look and protect.

ramhead

Reaction score
I bought the Mopar set. Installing tomorrow. Expect to drill a few extra slots in the bottom to keep them washed out. Not the best of designs, but the best fit and flow, IMO, in how thry look and protect.

Again...to each his own, but you're going to find out in the long run those OEM mud guards suck. Not only will mud, dirt, salt,, small rocks, etc build up in the pockets (despite the holes you drilled it still collects and cakes up over time clogging the drain holes) but the paint under the approx. 1.5" of plastic guard edge covering the painted fenders will scratch & damage the underlying finish. Guess it's not a big deal if you don't plan on ever removing them but still IMO not acceptable for an OEM product (and...you might find some of the damage is visible around the edges at some point). The OEM stuff should be better not worse than the competition.

osage91

Reaction score
I installed on my new truck the Mopar cab protector / headache rack P/N 8221549AB... and Front and Rear mud guards for fender flares P/N 82215488AB & 82215489AB..... I was disappointed with the mud guards they are going to be rock catchers. View attachment 26279 View attachment 26280 View attachment 26281 View attachment 26282 View attachment 26283 View attachment 26284
Did you ever end up installing any type of light bar/pods on that cab protector rack? I’m thinking of doing that setup with either the mopar off road lights or rigid pod lights.

Users who are viewing this thread