5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside wheel arch protection?

m_d_p

Reaction score
Hey, anyone aware of a product that protects the inside of wheel arches? Amazon has plenty of exterior protection but not inside.

Stones from offroading are starting to quickly eat up the plastic so wondered if there's maybe some plastic or rubber inserts/linings folks know of that fit rebels?

Last edited:

m_d_p

Reaction score
The wheel arches likely cost a lot of money replace as they're large and solid plastic. it's also a lease so I would have to pay for repairs or pay a fee at the end, or stop going offroading where I go (not happening). I'm not talking about full blown wheel arch protection inside the wheel well, just maybe some rubber adhesive inserts on the lower back part where the rocks hit. I had the same issue on a previous rebel and the plastic wheel arch was a complete mess at the bottom, chewed up by gravel and small rocks.

Attached a picture of the area I mean.

I guess in lieu of any constructive input I can just buy some cheap adhesive rubber sheets and replace it each time it gets chewed up. Just thought I'd check if there's some existing prupose built products first.

Attachments

• IMG_20210617_183942_386.jpg
    IMG_20210617_183942_386.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 47

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well at least the rear wheel well covers are about $50 each OEM, so the fronts should probably be around the same. I would figure rocks hitting the covers would be considered regular wear and tear. Having adhesive and chewed up bits of rubber stuck on there when turning in the lease would draw attention to it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just my two cents, but I'd think long and hard before adding a loose piece of rubber in the wheel wells. You don't want anything coming loose in there when you're driving on the highway.

The stock (rear) wheel well liners are $110, so if you have to replace them when your lease is over, it's not a huge cost.

Al Slick

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be worried in the least about damage to the wheel well liners. Have you leased before? I used to sweat the turn in and baby my vehicles like mad until about the third time in a row the inspection was a joke I realized they don’t care

m_d_p

Reaction score
First ever new car, first ever lease. I guess it's "lease anxiety", not helped by one garage saying they do detailed checks and charge to replace things until it's "like new" again (BS for any car after 3 years or road wear), but then another garage saying something like "yeah as long as it's looks ok and doesn't have any dings it'll be fine". That said, I'm certainly not baby'ing it, just trying to mitigate some foreseable bills. But 50-100 for new mud guards seems reasonable, probably going to need a couple of sets in that timeframe.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They tell you that you'll get charged for every little thing that doesn't appear showroom new. That's pure profit for them. They will then put the car on the used lot, or take it to the auction, and if anybody asks, they'll say that it has xx miles and is normal; wear and tear. So they milk you for every dollar and then milk the 2nd owner the same way. Sleezy used car salesman!

CopterDoctor

Reaction score
Well at least the rear wheel well covers are about $50 each OEM, so the fronts should probably be around the same. I would figure rocks hitting the covers would be considered regular wear and tear. Having adhesive and chewed up bits of rubber stuck on there when turning in the lease would draw attention to it.
It’s just a swag but do you think any of that spray rubber coating would stick to the plastic fender liners. I mean a can of it ain’t that much from the parts store. A buddy of mine sprayed the entire underside of his car with 4 cans of the stuff to reduce road noise. It stayed on there a couple of years and really help quiet down the cabin area. May be worth a try.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I lease all of my vehicles and have never had to pay for any damage. From what you are describing I wouldn't let Lease protection be the sole reason you make that purchase...IMO. With that said I am leasing my Rebel and purchased the rear wheel liners through the dealer simply because I wanted them...along with the bed rug...not because I was concerned about wear and tear on a lease.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s just a swag but do you think any of that spray rubber coating would stick to the plastic fender liners. I mean a can of it ain’t that much from the parts store. A buddy of mine sprayed the entire underside of his car with 4 cans of the stuff to reduce road noise. It stayed on there a couple of years and really help quiet down the cabin area. May be worth a try.
Plasti dip? It'll stick, but I doubt it'll hold up that well. The spray version just isn't as strong as the liquid "dipping" version. I did 6 heavy coats on the front end of my Titan, and one rock chipped right through it. Switched over to Herculiner spray bed liner, and it's much tougher. Although it's permanent as opposed to peeling off the plasti dip.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
If the dealer charges you for damage to the wheel well liners they are a bunch of pricks lol. I understand it is your first lease but that is the LAST thing I'd be concerned about. Good luck (y)

CopterDoctor

Reaction score
Plasti dip? It'll stick, but I doubt it'll hold up that well. The spray version just isn't as strong as the liquid "dipping" version. I did 6 heavy coats on the front end of my Titan, and one rock chipped right through it. Switched over to Herculiner spray bed liner, and it's much tougher. Although it's permanent as opposed to peeling off the plasti dip.
No sir, not plastidip. There are several different products on the market that are specifically designed for the vehicle undercarriage And people have also been known to use it for the fender liners (wheel wells). Rust oleum makes a spray can version that is $10. Even in the reviews someone remarked they used it on their wheel wells.

Attachments

• 5C7D6A95-C5F8-4064-BAEA-90FDE1C27C5E.jpeg
    5C7D6A95-C5F8-4064-BAEA-90FDE1C27C5E.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 12

Al Slick

Reaction score
No sir, not plastidip. There are several different products on the market that are specifically designed for the vehicle undercarriage And people have also been known to use it for the fender liners (wheel wells). Rust oleum makes a spray can version that is $10. Even in the reviews someone remarked they used it on their wheel wells.
This might be the one thing that they would charge you for if I had to guess hahaha

CopterDoctor

Reaction score
This might be the one thing that they would charge you for if I had to guess hahaha
I agree if they were really wanting to find something, but it is an option. I really believe installing a set of aftermarket fender liners would be the best for protecting the truck. I just installed these 2 days ago and love them. They are made in Georgia and are just about 3/16 of an inch thick. Very easy to install.

Attachments

• B2512B97-26CE-4F71-BC4E-F080090CE196.png
    B2512B97-26CE-4F71-BC4E-F080090CE196.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread