5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inside the new RAM bed

13hdking

Reaction score
If the optional inner bed rails are not installed on the truck are the holes left open? I purchased my RAM used with spray in liner installed by previous owner. Are there caps for these holes? 20190304_154456.jpg

geotex1

Reaction score
There are no official caps for the rivnut holes for the rails. One option is to get the rivnuts, install them, and thread in machine screws painted to match. However, the rivnuts are FCA-specific and pricey individually. The less expensive option would be to get black nylon push in "tree" fasteners. I know there are some for GMs that'll fit the larger holes for the rivnuts. I'm thinking the ones for radiator aprons that have about a 1-in diameter head.

Shanesrt8

Reaction score
you could get some caps at your local hardware store. Looks line they line-x over the pop outs for the bedlights too.

13hdking

Reaction score
you could get some caps at your local hardware store. Looks line they line-x over the pop outs for the bedlights too.
I noticed that as well. I'm certain that they can still be removed if I decide to add the lighting.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had holes in the bed of a Ford I purchased used. It was from a bed mounted tool box. The bed was also line-x'd. The cheapest, and actually best solution I came up with, was to squirt some black RTV into the holes, I then gave it texture with a towel. Drove that truck for 90,000 miles, the RTV never came out, and you could never see where I applied it. Might want to try that, if it doesn't work out for you, it was cheap, and easily removed.

redcrewcab

Reaction score
There are threads on the Ford forum about what you can and can't use on an aluminum bed, you can't use regular RTV if its in contact with the metal.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are threads on the Ford forum about what you can and can't use on an aluminum bed, you can't use regular RTV if its in contact with the metal.
He's attempting to fill bed liner, it'll stick, my last truck was the 2017 Raptor

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd buy some of the foam expanding ear plugs (in black if possible) and plug the holes. That way, if you ever need the holes, you can easily remove the plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread