5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Input On 2019 Used

kilcher

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a truck and have been looking in the $25k range, which typically means 2-3 years old, not many extras, having to choose between 4WD or the V8, and a wide range of miles. I really wanted a new Ram but figured it was out of my price range. Just saw a dealer not too far from here has a 2019 Ram (new model, not Classic) crew cab with 7,700 miles for just under $29k. They only have two pictures up right now but I was able to find the original window sticker and the MSRP was $47,505. Options include bucket seats w/ full center console, LED lighting group, trailer tow group, level 2 equipment group, 3.92 rear axle ratio, 5.7 liter V8, dual-pane panoramic sunroof, rear wheelhouse liners, and blind spot with cross-path detection. From the pics it looks like it also has running boards and a spray-in bedliner. Only thing it doesn't have that I'd really like is 4WD but it's not a deal-breaker. No Carfax, they use AutoCheck, only thing out of the ordinary is a lien and then sold at auction, which I assume was some kind of repossession, no reported accidents or anything like that. Seems like a really good deal to me, given my price range, just wanted to see what you all thought. Spending more or leasing isn't really an option for me, we pay cash up front for everything.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a truck and have been looking in the $25k range, which typically means 2-3 years old, not many extras, having to choose between 4WD or the V8, and a wide range of miles. I really wanted a new Ram but figured it was out of my price range. Just saw a dealer not too far from here has a 2019 Ram (new model, not Classic) crew cab with 7,700 miles for just under $29k. They only have two pictures up right now but I was able to find the original window sticker and the MSRP was $47,505. Options include bucket seats w/ full center console, LED lighting group, trailer tow group, level 2 equipment group, 3.92 rear axle ratio, 5.7 liter V8, dual-pane panoramic sunroof, rear wheelhouse liners, and blind spot with cross-path detection. From the pics it looks like it also has running boards and a spray-in bedliner. Only thing it doesn't have that I'd really like is 4WD but it's not a deal-breaker. No Carfax, they use AutoCheck, only thing out of the ordinary is a lien and then sold at auction, which I assume was some kind of repossession, no reported accidents or anything like that. Seems like a really good deal to me, given my price range, just wanted to see what you all thought. Spending more or leasing isn't really an option for me, we pay cash up front for everything.
You can get about 9-13k off a 2020 Big Horn 4x2 right now depending on your area so you are still saving a couple of grand with the used one. Being under 10k miles I'd say see if you can get them to make it CPO for that price and jump on it.

kilcher

Reaction score
You can get about 9-13k off a 2020 Big Horn 4x2 right now depending on your area so you are still saving a couple of grand with the used one. Being under 10k miles I'd say see if you can get them to make it CPO for that price and jump on it.

Wasn't sure if CPO would be worth the bother with so much factory warranty left but if I'm reading this right it extends the powertrain warranty from 5/60 to 7/100 and tacks on 3 months / 3,000 miles to the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'll definitely see about getting that done, thanks for the advice!

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's worth a try. Even though you could wait until this June and "hope" for a big disount month like last year, it depends on how much you want a truck n o w.
The price wasn't bad at all and if there's any dealer record of an oil change, at least its not 7700 on the factory oil, though that's not a deal killer either.
How much do you want 4x4? Don't skimp on that if you really want it. Does it have anti-spin maybe?

derp

Reaction score

I'd put lunch money on that being a lemon. check the state of initial registration, then do a search against that state's lemon law buyback lists. it is done via VIN so that should be doable.

dealer sells it, it gets bought back as a lemon and punted to auction as-is. Lemon law only covers first sale so the next person gets a CPO brick.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I agree with derp, I think it’s a lemon or something is wrong with it. IMO it seems like too cheap of a price for a dealer to be selling a used truck with that few miles on it which had an original sticker of $47k. Something doesn’t seem right about it to me. How does the truck compare to the other used trucks (options, miles, MSRP, etc) that dealer is selling for similar price?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Run a Carfax. May not be perfect but it should give more detail. I'd also think a RAM dealer could run the VIN and see if it was a buy-back.

From this article: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...s-to-lemon-law-cars-after-theyre-bought-back/ March 12, 2018
Part of it says:
"It is noteworthy that Carfax and other title-tracking services out there should catch that a vehicle had a branded title in its history. But the few states which brand lemons don’t brand them using the word “lemon.” Instead, they use euphemisms like “Manufacturer Repurchase” or some such, which is not as eye-catching. Many vehicle history reporting companies will gloss over this event, noting that the vehicle was sold at auction by the manufacturer but not to worry, since many vehicles are sold at auction each year.

Further confusing this issue, the reporting companies will often note that the repurchased lemon has no title branding issues–even though it was bought back under the lemon law. The lack of a brand simply means that it was bought back in a non-branding state.

So, never assume that a vehicle with a “clean” unbranded title is not a lemon law buyback. Check its title history and look for anything that suggests the car was owned or sold by the manufacturer after it was sold the first time to a civilian. And, pay attention to any repeated repairs under warranty. If it suffered more than two or three tries for the same thing, it might have been a lemon–and still be one–even if the title is not branded as such."

End of copied portion

Maybe I missed the trim level. If its a Big Horn (do they even come level 2? Then there's 2 down in Tx at RAM dealers that are close to the description (but don't have a sunroof):

$30,792 with 10.800 miles in Angleton Tx

$30,900 with 4,568 miles in Houston

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes there is a big horn level 2 package. 30-33 seems to be the going rate used for 2wd big horns with that kind of mileage.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yes there is a big horn level 2 package. 30-33 seems to be the going rate used for 2wd big horns with that kind of mileage.
Thanks for letting me know,I was too lazy to search.
I could find 85 trucks (all prices but just BH) within 500 miles (CarGuru) but only 1 had a sunroof and it was $37K. All were 2wd used 2019's.

RJS

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know,I was too lazy to search.
I could find 85 trucks (all prices but just BH) within 500 miles (CarGuru) but only 1 had a sunroof and it was $37K. All were 2wd used 2019's.
Be sure to drive it a long way and have it looked over by a good mechanic. If it is a repo, there's a good chance the owner didn't care much about it and recovery can get aggressive also. My last four cars/trucks were one year old off-rentals with under 12,000 miles so I'm not afraid of used newer vehicles but look this one over very closely, and as said above, get all the documentation like Carfax you can.

Users who are viewing this thread