5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Initial thoughts...

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a whopping 100 miles on the truck so here are some thoughts.

Start/stop is OK. I know/feel it shut off and there is a slight hesitation when starting back up. I think I cause it because I'm a left foot braker. It will not stay shut down for very long in the Florida heat. Maybe 30 seconds and it'll restart on its own.

The interior is amazing. I can't nit pick anything so far.

Happy with the feel of the truck with the 3.21's.

The step bumper tread looks like they used the back of a gator as a mold. I've never seen tread like that.

Fit and finish is good. The only thing I've noticed out of alignment is one tailpipe. I might try to align it myself.

Phone calls are clear.

Oh, one thing on the 12" screen, actually two. It requires me to pick the upper screen every time I start the truck and the radar doesn't come up on the weather map very fast.

The adaptive cruise will be nice to use on my trips back and forth to Michigan.

Speaking of which, I'll be doing a straight through 1200 mile trip on it Saturday or Sunday, whenever I get my act together. So that's it for now.....

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Please hand calculate that trip and report back, including differences from the trucks readout and your calculations.

I've heard if there is any overlap between throttle application and brake application, the PCM will affect timing. Since you left foot brake, that may affect how the truck behaves at launch?

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please hand calculate that trip and report back, including differences from the trucks readout and your calculations.

I've heard if there is any overlap between throttle application and brake application, the PCM will affect timing. Since you left foot brake, that may affect how the truck behaves at launch?

Yes, I was already planning to check actual fuel mileage versus the "lie-o-meter". It is still brand new so I'm also not expecting to see optimal readings.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I wouldn’t use the cruise control on your first trip for break in it’s best to run the engine with variable rpms

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use the cruise control on your first trip for break in it’s best to run the engine with variable rpms

I've bought a number of new cars out of the state (New Jersey, North Carolina, Michigan) and have used cruise on all of them. Never had issues with any. In fact I still have the Corvette I bought from Hendrick Chevrolet. These engines aren't like in the 60's when they actually had break-in oils and needed to seat the rings and break-in the cam. I will change the speed some on the way. I leave at 10 or so at night and drive through. There will be a couple of hours it'll just be me and the semis on the interstate. It's a great time to drive. I'll get to Michigan in the late afternoon that way.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought a number of new cars out of the state (New Jersey, North Carolina, Michigan) and have used cruise on all of them. Never had issues with any. In fact I still have the Corvette I bought from Hendrick Chevrolet. These engines aren't like in the 60's when they actually had break-in oils and needed to seat the rings and break-in the cam. I will change the speed some on the way. I leave at 10 or so at night and drive through. There will be a couple of hours it'll just be me and the semis on the interstate. It's a great time to drive. I'll get to Michigan in the late afternoon that way.

I'm from Ann Arbor area originally, so I make that trip up 75 a half dozen times a year from Lexington. I've read in a few post about your all night trips to and from Michigan. Is this a common thing for you?? That is a beast of a trip! I agree with leaving at night tho, feel like a king driving through Cincinnati with no traffic.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Very true, for the first 300 miles. 300 miles is the break in period for the 5.7L.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm from Ann Arbor area originally, so I make that trip up 75 a half dozen times a year from Lexington. I've read in a few post about your all night trips to and from Michigan. Is this a common thing for you?? That is a beast of a trip! I agree with leaving at night tho, feel like a king driving through Cincinnati with no traffic.

Ha, more common than I'd like. I graduated from Brighton High, just up 23 from Ann Arbor. My wife still has family up there so usually I make the trip up around Christmas holidays, Mother's Day and then drag a car up for the Woodward Dream Cruise in August. My mother in law is having some health issues so our week trip up for Mother's Day turned into staying up for the summer. My wife has stayed and I've been "commuting" back and forth taking care of things back home in Florida. We've been Floridians for 25 years now. Anyway, this trip will be the one that we loaded up Mom and relocate her to our home in Florida. I catch I-75 near Knoxville.

I'll have 300 miles on the truck before I get out of Florida.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I made it to Michigan. Me, my dog and the truck made it up unscathed!

I didn't get hung up in much traffic the dash fuel economy (lie-o-meter) climbed from 15.6 shortly after I hit the road and got up to 21.3 at one point in Ohio. When I pulled into my mother in law's driveway it was / is sitting at 21.0. Impressive. BUT...... As I figured L-O-M is just as bad as the one in the Ford.

I topped off in Ohio because Michigan gas prices are over $3.00 per gallon. At that point I had put 1073 miles and used 58 gallons. Actual miles per gallon.... 18.5

The truck didn't miss a beat. Plenty happy with it. I don't like the lane keeper, or whatever it's called. I stopped using it after about 6 hours into the trip. I can live without it. The adaptive cruise is nice but I found myself slowly drawing up to a vehicle and then sitting behind it for a while before I realized I had slowed the the other's pace.

Anyway, I'm a happy but really tired camper. I'm heading to bed......

Cluck

Reaction score
do you have to disable the lane keeper every time you start the truck? or will it stay turned off?

RT70808

Reaction score
do you have to disable the lane keeper every time you start the truck? or will it stay turned off?
It stays off, I’ve only turned mine on once to test it.

Ramajama

Reaction score
So I have a whopping 100 miles on the truck so here are some thoughts.

Start/stop is OK. I know/feel it shut off and there is a slight hesitation when starting back up. I think I cause it because I'm a left foot braker. It will not stay shut down for very long in the Florida heat. Maybe 30 seconds and it'll restart on its own.

The interior is amazing. I can't nit pick anything so far.

Happy with the feel of the truck with the 3.21's.

The step bumper tread looks like they used the back of a gator as a mold. I've never seen tread like that.

Fit and finish is good. The only thing I've noticed out of alignment is one tailpipe. I might try to align it myself.

Phone calls are clear.

Oh, one thing on the 12" screen, actually two. It requires me to pick the upper screen every time I start the truck and the radar doesn't come up on the weather map very fast.

The adaptive cruise will be nice to use on my trips back and forth to Michigan.

Speaking of which, I'll be doing a straight through 1200 mile trip on it Saturday or Sunday, whenever I get my act together. So that's it for now.....
(y)

The weather map is kinda hit and miss at the speed that it pulls up. Sometimes its fast, other times its slow. It’s been that way since my 2013 Laramie to my 2018 Power Wagon.

Ramajama

Reaction score
So I made it to Michigan. Me, my dog and the truck made it up unscathed!

I didn't get hung up in much traffic the dash fuel economy (lie-o-meter) climbed from 15.6 shortly after I hit the road and got up to 21.3 at one point in Ohio. When I pulled into my mother in law's driveway it was / is sitting at 21.0. Impressive. BUT...... As I figured L-O-M is just as bad as the one in the Ford.

I topped off in Ohio because Michigan gas prices are over $3.00 per gallon. At that point I had put 1073 miles and used 58 gallons. Actual miles per gallon.... 18.5

The truck didn't miss a beat. Plenty happy with it. I don't like the lane keeper, or whatever it's called. I stopped using it after about 6 hours into the trip. I can live without it. The adaptive cruise is nice but I found myself slowly drawing up to a vehicle and then sitting behind it for a while before I realized I had slowed the the other's pace.

Anyway, I'm a happy but really tired camper. I'm heading to bed......

Yup, We have lane departure warning on my wife’s Discovery Sport. That piece of annoying, frivolous tech was disabled within the first week. LOL!

I hope the MPGs climb after some more miles get put on the truck. That’s really no better than a non etorque truck on the highway. I’d easily get that in my 3.92 4wd RAMs.

What are you getting in town?

Good luck!

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, We have lane departure warning on my wife’s Discovery Sport. That piece of annoying, frivolous tech was disabled within the first week. LOL!

I hope the MPGs climb after some more miles get put on the truck. That’s really no better than a non etorque truck on the highway. I’d easily get that in my 3.92 4wd RAMs.

What are you getting in town?

Good luck!

Thanks,

I don't have any daily driving mpg's yet. Actually I'm not someone that tracks it, to be honest. I just put gas in my stuff and drive. Whatever it is, it is. I can say it's better than I got with the Ecoboost I just traded. I kept track this trip as I was curious to compare it to the Ford and there is a number of folks here that would like to know.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do need to look into the navigation routing. When I plugged in my destination I didn't see the overall route it picked. It turned out to be the one I avoid. The route through Atlanta. I travel up 95 to 26 to 40 and finally catch 75 near Knoxville. It kept trying to take me the Atlanta way for probably 20 miles in Jacksonville until it finally asked if I wanted to change the route. There must be a way to see available routes and pick one. Yeah, I know my way and I don't need the navigational help. I like to use it for distance and time left.

I'm not going to use Google maps through the system. My phone is in my pocket when I drive and don't need to or want to mess with it while I'm in the vehicles.

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sound system.....

This is the nicest sound system I've ever had in any vehicle. I haven't even messed with the balance, fade, bass, treble, etc. It's more than good enough for me. I'm happy to be able to pick up the Sirius / XM stations in the 300's. I doubt I'll ever use the Android Auto features for Pandora even though I listen to Pandora with ear buds when I'm working outside around the house.

unxpctd

Reaction score
I currently have a 2017 Rebel. I love the off road look and ride. I don't do much off roading but still enjoy the look and feel of the Rebel.

The new Rebel looks great...but I too am a bit disappointed that I can't get cooled seats and the 12" screen as options. I'm not sure what I'll get come early 2020....I'll have to decide then. Love the look but want a few of the options from the Laramie. Guess we'll see!

John813

Reaction score
Thanks,

I don't have any daily driving mpg's yet. Actually I'm not someone that tracks it, to be honest. I just put gas in my stuff and drive. Whatever it is, it is. I can say it's better than I got with the Ecoboost I just traded. I kept track this trip as I was curious to compare it to the Ford and there is a number of folks here that would like to know.

Yup. The 5.7L > 3.5L in gas mileage.

Wife's durango gets over 2.0mpg improvement over her explorer in the same conditions and traffic. With the MDS off too.
While the ecoboost had more down low torque, it wasn't "eco" compared to the competition.

Kramersp

Reaction score
Yup. The 5.7L > 3.5L in gas mileage.

Wife's durango gets over 2.0mpg improvement over her explorer in the same conditions and traffic. With the MDS off too.
While the ecoboost had more down low torque, it wasn't "eco" compared to the competition.
You have two choices the the EcoBoost. Either you get "eco" or you get "boost" not both.

Users who are viewing this thread