5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infotainment Rattle

osomajor

Reaction score
I have an insidious rattle coming from the infotainment system (2019 Limited, 12")

I've had the truck in to RAM service twice, but the issue remains. It's especially bad in when it's chilly out.

Any advice on a fix?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have an insidious rattle coming from the infotainment system (2019 Limited, 12")

I've had the truck in to RAM service twice, but the issue remains. It's especially bad in when it's chilly out.

Any advice on a fix?

Thanks

I regret to hear of the trouble you are experiencing, @osomajor. Please follow up with us via private message to provide additional details of your situation so that we may determine how to best assist you at this point.

Mar
RamCares

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Unfortunately this seems to be the case when cold plastic panels contact each other. Fortunately, I don't have many ticks and clicks in my Longhorn when it's cold, but when it's warm out and the plastics expand, it's deadly quiet. The most noticeable tick/click involved the rear view mirror cover. I removed it, then applied self stick felt on the panel contact points, and eliminated 95% of the noise when it's cold out; once it warms up, it's quiet. If you feel comfortable removing the center stack (not difficult at all), I would do so, then apply felt, foam rubber, etc. to all contact points as this will definitely help. Also, observe to see if there are any loose wire harnesses, etc. and secure them as well before reassembly. Hope this helps.

osomajor

Reaction score
Unfortunately this seems to be the case when cold plastic panels contact each other. Fortunately, I don't have many ticks and clicks in my Longhorn when it's cold, but when it's warm out and the plastics expand, it's deadly quiet. The most noticeable tick/click involved the rear view mirror cover. I removed it, then applied self stick felt on the panel contact points, and eliminated 95% of the noise when it's cold out; once it warms up, it's quiet. If you feel comfortable removing the center stack (not difficult at all), I would do so, then apply felt, foam rubber, etc. to all contact points as this will definitely help. Also, observe to see if there are any loose wire harnesses, etc. and secure them as well before reassembly. Hope this helps.
Thanks. While you are spoon feeding me... Mind pointing me toward an infotainment removal thread? When I searched infotainment removal I didn't get anything.

Is it just screws up in the bin on top of the dash above the infotainment screen?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. While you are spoon feeding me... Mind pointing me toward an infotainment removal thread? When I searched infotainment removal I didn't get anything.

Is it just screws up in the bin on top of the dash above the infotainment screen?

Yes, just 2 screws then use that area & the top of the screen bezel as a makeshift handle to pull with your hand. Go easy at first and build up strength with each pull until some of the clips give way... takes quite a bit of force. Then just carefully pull where you can around the edges without bending sideways too much to avoid breaking any clips. I wouldn't do it if it's below 50 degrees since plastic breaks easier the colder it is.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Yes, just as 392DCGC said; two screws and follow the procedure. There are a few videos on YouTube that are very informative, showing this procedure.

osomajor

Reaction score
Thanks much guys. Will give it a shot and report back. Appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread