5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indicator light for regen

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has noticed any indicator lights that activate when the truck is actually doing a regen, I have noticed a few times after a highway drive that my truck smell hot, but can’t find anything leaking, melting or burning so I am assuming it had just performed a regen.

I’ve seen what looks to be the regen light when starting the truck up (looks like rolling coal) but it has never illuminated while driving

I also don’t have a working tailgate ajar light, so maybe this is related and needs and update from FCA.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I haven't noticed a regen light, not even sure if my truck has even gone through a regen yet.

And no tailgate ajar light for me either !

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
You would think a message would come on in the dash for regen.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never seen a dash light. Have seen it light in torque pro and soot level drop from 100 to single digits over 10 minutes.

I'm assuming the light only comes on when you need to do a regen. IE drive for a long period to trigger it.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a section in the owners manual about warnings that pop up saying the filter is close to full and a regen needs to be done, depending on your driving style you might never see this message.

I figured it’d be a good idea to know when a regen is being performed so you don’t interrupt it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dad's old EcoDiesel GC would tell you when it was doing a Regen. I'm surprised it doesn't do the same

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Generally how often do diesels do a Regen?
When the DPF fills up with soot. depends on how you drive. If you jackrabbit it around town and aree more spirited and do short trips it'll need to regen a lot, but it won't if it isn't hot enough or the engine hasn't been on long enough. THAT is when you get the regen now light, which means a romp down the highway asap. if it waits too long it's a tow to the dealer to force a regen, or you can DIY in alpha. But most people buying the eocdiesels want them for highway and mixed driving. It's not a weekend car.

The biggest thing that keeps soot down is not racing off WOT. you know how big trucks spew black, that's the the DPF is eating and needs to burn off. A diesel engine is always technically WOT and all you do is inject more fuel, whatever doesn't burn becomes soot. If you do a lot of highway trips, it'll rarely need a regen as it'll burn off nautrally.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
When the DPF fills up with soot. depends on how you drive. If you jackrabbit it around town and aree more spirited and do short trips it'll need to regen a lot, but it won't if it isn't hot enough or the engine hasn't been on long enough. THAT is when you get the regen now light, which means a romp down the highway asap. if it waits too long it's a tow to the dealer to force a regen, or you can DIY in alpha. But most people buying the eocdiesels want them for highway and mixed driving. It's not a weekend car.

The biggest thing that keeps soot down is not racing off WOT. you know how big trucks spew black, that's the the DPF is eating and needs to burn off. A diesel engine is always technically WOT and all you do is inject more fuel, whatever doesn't burn becomes soot. If you do a lot of highway trips, it'll rarely need a regen as it'll burn off nautrally.
Great explanation. Thank you.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Does it tell you in the message center when it requires a regen?

Rhombus

Reaction score
Only if you have significant unfinished regens and the soot is too high. It will inform you then to drive on the hwy to allow a full regen. Under normal circumstances, you will see nothing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread