5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Increasing Payload in RAM 1500 with air suspension?

Ishkatan

Reaction score
I found a Unicorn Rebel truck (43,000 miles asking $52,500) and have seen a couple more but with lower mileage sold before I knew what I wanted. The Unicorn Rebel I came across has a weakness - 1067 lb payload. That means that my 3 buddies and I can't take any luggage or a trailer. I understand that with springs you can add air bags to increase the payload but can you do that with the air suspension? What are the options for increasing payload if I want the Air suspension?

Ramble - I kind of want a loaded Unicorn truck:
- Given my age, I want the air suspension for easy ingress/egress, and have fantasies of raising it to the full 10.x inches for going on fire trails and the hill in my back yard. Not rock crawling but rough washed out roads and a bit of bog.
- Of course, I need all the safety features to help keep me centered in my lane and warn me about oncoming traffic, pedestrians, etc.
- Laziness means I demand adaptive cruise control. I can't afford a Chauffeur yet but the closer to self driving, the better.
- I want a manual locker for that off road drive but might settle for a limited slip differential if it will let me chug up a 20 degree slippery slope.
- RamBoxes are a must for all my towing gear, jumpers, extra oil, etc. and I loved having them on my old Avalanche.
- Sun roof for those wonderful views in the canyons of NYC, the cliffs in the mountains, panorama of stars or the circling vultures when parked.
- Heated seats because the admiral says so and because of my age, lots of power adjustments.
- 360 cameras because it's hard to turn my head. (Why don't they add trip recording like a dash cam?)
- 5.7 Hemi with a 3.92 axle ratio and 33 gallon tank.
- Multi-way tailgate would be nice, though optional.
- I expect to tow 7,000 lbs 130 miles a couple times a year, hope to tow 4,000 lbs. more often if I find the boat I want but I don't need a funny knob to maneuver.
- I will add a roof rack for that annual canoe trip and 18 ft. project boards.
- I don't plan to raise the truck or increase the wheel size.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope your payload is your payload, unless you’re doing something to remove weight from the truck (think racecar) you can’t just legally keep adding weight and go over payload and expect good results. The frame/brakes etc are designed specifically that way. Say you’re in a accident and a investigation is done and somehow the powers that be find out you’re over that magic number on that sticker see you in court lol.

Bags are added to help with the sag you tend to get when pulling a trailer or loaded bed… they don’t increase payload.

If you want all the bells and whistles on your truck you’re gonna be sacrificing payload capacity. Either get a truck with less features or step up to a 2500-3500 with enough capacity or leave a buddy or buddies and stay within that magic number.

You might wanna rethink what features you “must” have if you’re set on having a truck full of people and luggage and still staying within those numbers.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Basically what was said above. Payload limits suck on a 1/2 ton.

You can move the fullsize Spare (if you have one) into the back of the trailer you are towing to gain 75'ish lbs of payload.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As they ☝️ said....there is no such thing as increasing payload, and you surely can't do it by adding stuff to your truck. Rebels are known for lousy payload ratings, so I hate to say it, but maybe the Rebel isn't your best bet. No good answers here.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
None of the off roading you are describing can't be done with any Ram 4x4.
So unless you have your heart set on the aesthetics of the Rebel, you might expand your view to Laramie's.
For maximum payload avoid the panoramic roof, multifunction tailgate, ram boxes, and if you can find a 22 or older, eTorque.

The tech features you desire keep you out of Big Horn & lower trims, and Air Suspension was removed as an option from BH in 23 I believe, and even before that it would be a unicorn were you to find one so equipped.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep wake up from your dream and face reality and spec a different truck out, you can’t have it all still achieve what you’re trying to accomplish, at least not in a 1500 Rebel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ishkatan

Reaction score
I'm under the impression I can have all the goodies on a 2019- 2023 Limited. I can skip the nice tailgate but really want the RamBoxes. Though finding a e-locker is unlikely, they do have limited slip rear diff which may be enough. Or I can add a locker a few years down the road if I find I really go off road. I also plan to carry a hitch mounted winch. (East coast doe not seem great for locations, but my small back yard is challenging and I have gotten stuck elsewhere.)
I think I will look at RAM 1500 Limited vs. older F150 Tremor or Hybrid, and maybe the mid size trucks, if they have parking assist. I tried parking an F150 without it and it's really good it was an empty parking lot. Huge turning radius. What I really want is a Chevy Avalanche... has ram boxes :) and I had no issues with my old one.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited is still limited on payload…

Big Horn or stripped down Laramie might be your best bet. Skip the MFT tailgate and pano roof to help with payload. Maybe even skip air suspension (Laramie) but I’m not sure how bad that is on payload.

Edit: Maybe even a power wagon (2500) might be a better option but better check payload #s there as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ishkatan

Reaction score
I need to look at the payload of a loaded Limited but am not finding a good answer on-line. On line sources say the Rebel can have 19xx lbs payload. Obviously too generalized. The rating I saw was from the door sticker. Some sellers show those and I am learning to pay attention. I really want all the safety electronics, air suspension adjustments, comfort seats, sunroof, locking diff, and RamBoxes. The split tailgate is optional but would be nice but I would not really miss it as I plan to add a hard cover or cap.
The Power Wagon or any 2500 is overkill. When empty I want to have better gas mileage. I don't want a diesel (Jack rabbit lane merges are required in my area). 98% of the time the truck will be lightly loaded with 1-2 (fat) people, emergency gear, some tools and luggage. However, occasional construction material (cinderblocks) or a couple cruising motorcycles (650 lbs each + ramps?) have me aiming for more than 1000 lbs. payload. My old Chevy Avalanche had a 1375 payload and every couple years I would drive it 50 miles with the rear bump stoppers touching. But I loved the cushy ride when empty.
Why can't we have the best of both worlds? I'm surprised RAM does not have a dial setting for the air ride - soft for off roading or highway cruising up to very firm for load carrying. Maybe they would need soft coil springs + air ride with extra cost? Or just adjustable shocks? Anyway, a visit to a dealer to look at door ratings is in the plans.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I need to look at the payload of a loaded Limited but am not finding a good answer on-line. On line sources say the Rebel can have 19xx lbs payload. Obviously too generalized. The rating I saw was from the door sticker. Some sellers show those and I am learning to pay attention. I really want all the safety electronics, air suspension adjustments, comfort seats, sunroof, locking diff, and RamBoxes. The split tailgate is optional but would be nice but I would not really miss it as I plan to add a hard cover or cap.
The Power Wagon or any 2500 is overkill. When empty I want to have better gas mileage. I don't want a diesel (Jack rabbit lane merges are required in my area). 98% of the time the truck will be lightly loaded with 1-2 (fat) people, emergency gear, some tools and luggage. However, occasional construction material (cinderblocks) or a couple cruising motorcycles (650 lbs each + ramps?) have me aiming for more than 1000 lbs. payload. My old Chevy Avalanche had a 1375 payload and every couple years I would drive it 50 miles with the rear bump stoppers touching. But I loved the cushy ride when empty.
Why can't we have the best of both worlds? I'm surprised RAM does not have a dial setting for the air ride - soft for off roading or highway cruising up to very firm for load carrying. Maybe they would need soft coil springs + air ride with extra cost? Or just adjustable shocks? Anyway, a visit to a dealer to look at door ratings is in the plans.

The answer to your question has been given multiple times now. You will not find a rebel with 19xx lbs payload. If you find one with 1500 pounds you'll be doing great.

You want everything, but don't want to pay for it; when you add features, it costs you weight, and that comes off your payload. You may as well be wondering why you can't buy a brand new rebel for $30,000.

The 2500 is not overkill. It's literally the truck you're looking for, it has all the safety and advanced features while giving you the extra cargo carrying capacity found in a heavy duty truck. They make a 2500 in Rebel trim as well but bring a spare bank account when you go to purchase it.

disarm

Reaction score
I need to look at the payload of a loaded Limited but am not finding a good answer on-line...I really want all the safety electronics, air suspension adjustments, comfort seats, sunroof, locking diff, and RamBoxes. The split tailgate is optional but would be nice but I would not really miss it as I plan to add a hard cover or cap.
The payload on my pretty much fully loaded Limited (RamBox, MFT, sunroof) is only 929#... definitely not adequate if you need to do much towing or heavy hauling. You have to be very aware of your intended use when buying a Limited. The low payload is fine in my case because I don't intend to tow anything significant, and any time I need payload I'm likely to be the only person in the truck.

The 2018 Audi Q7 SUV that I had before my Ram actually had a better payload rating than my truck (1300# payload, 7500 towing).

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes unfortunately all your requirements do not play nice together on a Ram, or most any, half ton.

I hate to say it but if you are indeed being realistic about your payload requirements, AND you need real off-road capability AND you want all the luxuries AND won’t consider an HD, then you’re better served by an F150 Tremor with High option package.

No 4 corner air suspension (Ram exclusive feature), but a fully trimmed Tremor should still get you around 1,500 lbs payload.

Personally if you aren’t hauling all the time, the Ram would be so much better to live with when just commuting that I’d find a way to make it work on the rare occasions I haul heavy.

And if those occasions weren’t so rare then I’d just have to live with the f150 or any HD gas truck.

(Which btw is what I had been doing. Now that I don’t drag heavy things for work anymore, Id much prefer the Ram over my old F150).

Ishkatan

Reaction score
I test drove a 2019 RAM Limited with a payload rating of 1376. The only thing missing from my list was a sunroof. The panoramic sunroof really weighs a lot and I could live without it but it was the missing 360 camera which surprised me as I assumed it was part of the Level1 package. I really want the 360 cameras. I can live without the panoramic sunroof and split tailgate. The assisted parking feature was helpful but felt clunky with all the manual gear switching and breaking, and I overshot the parking spot by about 2 feet (into an empty spot) when I did not see the big red STOP on the dash. I will likely learn to park on my own but still want to use it for when I age or am tired. The ride on Baltimore streets (manhole covers all over) was really nice and truck felt reasonably maneuverable. The turning radius making a sharp right felt OK.
I also test drove a 2021 Ford F150 Platinum. It had everything except the RAM boxes and air suspension. The ride was much stiffer, and it felt a lot more "truck like". If felt as if it was stuck in the "Off-Road" setting that the RAM air suspension raised me to. Taking the same turn by a parked car had me worrying about clipping it. I have to say the Assisted Parking feature worked great - much nicer than the RAM. I turned on a turn signal to choose a side and the truck told me when to stop and press and hold a button. (RAM only looks to the right for parking while the Ford does either side.) Then just hold the button and it did everything for me. No need to brake or anything. I loved the massaging seats, acceleration and parking assist, but the harsher ride and bigger turning radius (handling) has me preferring the RAM.
The main reason I did not spring for the 2019 RAM was lack of 360 cameras, and I would like one with a few less miles (46K on the tested one.) For the price ($38K), I would have gone for it if it had 360 cameras. I know later years have the cameras. You can buy 360 camera kits but the ones I saw require adding a screen, not simply integrating with the built in one.)
I doubt that the payload rating on a Rebel will go up to 1376 if I give up the sunroof and split tailgate (the one that got me started had both) but I will check Rebels if I come across them with air suspension. However, I think a Limited is more likely for me. I expect a Limited with a locking diff or at least limited slip diff will be adequate for the light off roading I plan to do. (I am NOT doing the Rubicon trail!) So I am looking for hen's teeth.

Ishkatan

Reaction score
The answer to your question has been given multiple times now. You will not find a rebel with 19xx lbs payload. If you find one with 1500 pounds you'll be doing great.

You want everything, but don't want to pay for it; when you add features, it costs you weight, and that comes off your payload. You may as well be wondering why you can't buy a brand new rebel for $30,000.

The 2500 is not overkill. It's literally the truck you're looking for, it has all the safety and advanced features while giving you the extra cargo carrying capacity found in a heavy duty truck. They make a 2500 in Rebel trim as well but bring a spare bank account when you go to purchase it.
I really don't want a bigger engine and I doubt the 2500 rides as nice as a 1500. And price is a factor. 99% of the time 1350 lbs of payload should be ok and that is doable with a Limited trim. I may just need to invest in a trailer.

Ishkatan

Reaction score
The payload on my pretty much fully loaded Limited (RamBox, MFT, sunroof) is only 929#... definitely not adequate if you need to do much towing or heavy hauling. You have to be very aware of your intended use when buying a Limited. The low payload is fine in my case because I don't intend to tow anything significant, and any time I need payload I'm likely to be the only person in the truck.

The 2018 Audi Q7 SUV that I had before my Ram actually had a better payload rating than my truck (1300# payload, 7500 towing).
I should get your Audi! I plan to tow very light loads most of the time but a 7000 lb load rarely. And my friend wants me to tow his camper (6200 lbs. empty, 9200 lbs. maxed) 2x per year, house to a summer camp ground, but I'm not buying this for his needs. I think a nice soft ride for 1-2 people and luggage is the 97% use case. 1% light off road, 0.1% heavy towing, 1% fetchig construction materials, 1% light towing (1500 lbs. unless I buy a 4,000 lb boat, in which case that towing will go way up.)

Wire4money

Reaction score
I should get your Audi! I plan to tow very light loads most of the time but a 7000 lb load rarely. And my friend wants me to tow his camper (6200 lbs. empty, 9200 lbs. maxed) 2x per year, house to a summer camp ground, but I'm not buying this for his needs. I think a nice soft ride for 1-2 people and luggage is the 97% use case. 1% light off road, 0.1% heavy towing, 1% fetchig construction materials, 1% light towing (1500 lbs. unless I buy a 4,000 lb boat, in which case that towing will go way up.)
You will not safely tow that trailer with what you want. The tongue weight will put you way over on payload. You say you don’t want a 3/4 ton truck, but your want list necessitates it.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
99% of the time 1350 lbs of payload should be ok and that is doable with a Limited trim. I may just need to invest in a trailer.
I think that's the way to go. Shop for that 99% scenario. That's what I do, have a big aand little trailer, but almost any trailer will dwarf the payload of a half ton, and give you way more space to boot. A 3.5k GVWR utility trailer can be had new easy for under $1,500.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I test drove a 2019 RAM Limited with a payload rating of 1376. it was the missing 360 camera which surprised me as I assumed it was part of the Level1 package.
The main reason I did not spring for the 2019 RAM was lack of 360 cameras,
Did the limited have the flip up towing mirrors? That undoes the ability to have the 360 cameras. (I'm not 100% certain this applies to Limiteds, but I know it did with Laramie Level2 packages in 2019)

Ishkatan

Reaction score
Did the limited have the flip up towing mirrors? That undoes the ability to have the 360 cameras. (I'm not 100% certain this applies to Limited models, but I know it did with Laramie Level2 packages in 2019)
Not flip up - the mirrors were powered to slide in and out so yes, some kind of towing mirrors.
I looked at a 2024 Limited that had RamBoxes and split tailgate, no sunroof and the payload on the Yellow sticker was 1097. Other Limited models listed 13xx as payload but had a standard bed. :( So I have to agree with the members who said that I need to give up features or move to a heavier truck, or to a higher capacity truck. Or I can be aware of the limit and only tow heavy loads when I am the only one in the truck.
My towing plans call for 7000 lb. towing maybe 2-4 short trips / year (60 miles - even an EV pickup would work) but longer monthly trips with a ~4500-5000 lb. boat/trailer combo. 99% of the time I will be alone or with one person in the truck. Local runs, and hopefully some touring (want the Level 1 electronics) or camping. I want the cushy ride of the air suspension on the 1500 so I really don't want the 2500, and mpg counts.
I've also been thinking of simply getting an older truck for hauling and simply getting a small SUV (Subaru Crosstrek?) with good mpg numbers for touring. Prices on everything are dropping nicely so I am holding on for a little longer.

Users who are viewing this thread