5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inconsistent power delivery when going full throttle

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
That makes sense since you're not using most of the torque/HP until you get past 3,000 RPMS for NA engines.
From the factory you would expect a linear or at least smooth power increase. These trucks feel as if it kicked down a gear it is that abrupt to me.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the factory you would expect a linear or at least smooth power increase. These trucks feel as if it kicked down a gear it is that abrupt to me.
Gotta keep in mind...the HP and Torque ratings are for a specific RPM range. When a certain amount is advertised; it always ends with "at xyxy RPMs"

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
A high perfentage of of dyno graphs are smooth on every other vehicle. These spike

My turbo cars have been more smooth, this is like flippimg a switch all of a sudden.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A high perfentage of of dyno graphs are smooth on every other vehicle. These spike

My turbo cars have been more smooth, this is like flippimg a switch all of a sudden.
Idk, mine is pretty smooth..maybe has something to do with me having Etorque. They say it's suppose to smooth out the power band/curve and all that.

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
From what I understand each throttle controller is linked to a specific vehicle. If you have the same vehicle/engine as he did/does than it should work.
Sooo I got the pedal commander, installed it and was so giddy about how it would perform. I noticed it was set at Sport +1 which was wayy too sensitive but I kinda expected that based on what I read about the settings. What I was really concerned about was how it pulled full throttle and I was disappointed (but not surprised) to see that it pulled exactly the same...very inconsistent. I floored it from 35 mph and it pulled the old 5.2L and felt like it was really dying off from 5,000 rpm till redline....then went full throttle again from the same speed a few moments later and it pulled the way it should...building power all the way to redline. I experimented with the other settings and it was pretty much what I was expecting: increased sensitivity but still inconsistent power delivery throughout the entire rev range...don't know what else to do at this point

BigHornBandit

Reaction score

YESSS this is what I am referring to!! I notice this especially when its pulling from the bottom of a gear: The power is either 1) non existent/very weak all the way until its 5,700-ish rpm redline and sometimes picks up in the next gear (even if I am at highway speeds), 2) The power is all there right from the moment the transmission downshifts or 3) it comes on very weak then there is a huge spike in power around 4,500 rpm-5,000 rpm until redline

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
May
Sooo I got the pedal commander, installed it and was so giddy about how it would perform. I noticed it was set at Sport +1 which was wayy too sensitive but I kinda expected that based on what I read about the settings. What I was really concerned about was how it pulled full throttle and I was disappointed (but not surprised) to see that it pulled exactly the same...very inconsistent. I floored it from 35 mph and it pulled the old 5.2L and felt like it was really dying off from 5,000 rpm till redline....then went full throttle again from the same speed a few moments later and it pulled the way it should...building power all the way to redline. I experimented with the other settings and it was pretty much what I was expecting: increased sensitivity but still inconsistent power delivery throughout the entire rev range...don't know what else to do at this point
Maybe that's why Ram added Etorque....because mine has always been pretty smooth and consistent. Also...if it's the power delivery in itself that's the issue...than I'm not surprised that the pedal commander didn't make much difference.

BigHornBandit

Reaction score
May
Maybe that's why Ram added Etorque....because mine has always been pretty smooth and consistent. Also...if it's the power delivery in itself that's the issue...than I'm not surprised that the pedal commander didn't make much difference.
It's possible. The e torque rams were scarce at the time I got mine and I may have to drive one to really compare the two

I have been getting some great feedback with leaving it in sport and kinda rolling into it as opposed to mashing it

Users who are viewing this thread