5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inconsistent Climate Temperature?

JakeisK98

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced similar problems? I'm having issues with the climate control temperature settings in my truck. If I set the temperature in my truck to blow out 75 degree's and it starts to feel too warm I try to lower it but the temperature doesn't change. I've lowered the temperature to 66 degree's and it still feels like it's blowing the same temperature as when it was set to 75. I have to lower the temp literally to "LO" before it bottoms out and changes. Have also had issues where the temp is set to 75 degree's or so and it starts to lower on it's own. (No, I haven't been using the "auto" climate control feature). The temperature control doesn't seem to respond to incremental changes. I'm CONSTANTLY chasing around a comfortable temperature setting. 70 degree's can feel perfect until it starts blowing out what feels like80 degree air, or starts dropping off into the low 60's.

Just curious if anyones experienced similar issues and if they've taken it in for a fix.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not to your degree but their are times when it is not maintaining a consistent temperature and I have to turn the temp dials up or down to get the desired temperature. It is not only the Ram. I have noticed in other vehicles, particularly on long highway trips. Sometimes with a 2006 Honda Accord I now have to turn it to the lowest setting to get the AC to kick on but that has only been the last year or two.

LM42

Reaction score
I have this issue a bit. Usually for me its in the am when the air is cool. It may be 60 degrees outside, but even though I have my temp set to 70 it is blowing cold air. It seems to correct itself after a while, but it is a minor annoyance.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought my heat was acting weird on my last 16 hour trip to the north, the temperate seemed to vary even with the same settings on the controls. I’m not sure if it was because the drivers and passenger sides were set at different temps but I will test that again tonight on the same 16 hour trip.

parnine

Reaction score
These trucks have one of the worst, if not the worst, AC systems on the market - a real shame. The 'auto' has extremely poor programming, sensors, or both. Not to mention the overall performance of the AC system - see multiple threads on AC hack.

It is a shame FCA is too stupid, because that is what it is given all the other manufactures know basic feedback loop concepts and how to program - like if it is really cold outside and I start the truck and set the temp to 80 degrees, don't blow cold air at me at full fan speed till the heater coil can actually warm the air. Shoot my 8 yr old toyota has this level of sphoistiation.

So, sorry to say, your problem is 'normal' .......

enjoy all the other great things about the truck !

Silver Black

Reaction score
I have to lower the temp literally to "LO" before it bottoms out and changes.
I figured this out just today. No matter where I set my zone temperature at startup I get warm air. Today I ran it down to "LO" and immediately got cool air - not air conditioned air, but air from outside the vehicle (I believe).

I like having cool air blowing on my face, preferably out of the dash defrosters. So far my "fix" has been to crack the passenger side window and rear sliding window. I think I'll experiment with manually setting the temp knob to "LO" and then raise it after the temp feels fine.

I love this truck but the climate control system has been much disappoint. I also live in Alaska where it's generally cool/cold anyway. I'd hate to have this truck in west Texas during the summer.

Firepower2010

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced similar problems? I'm having issues with the climate control temperature settings in my truck. If I set the temperature in my truck to blow out 75 degree's and it starts to feel too warm I try to lower it but the temperature doesn't change. I've lowered the temperature to 66 degree's and it still feels like it's blowing the same temperature as when it was set to 75. I have to lower the temp literally to "LO" before it bottoms out and changes. Have also had issues where the temp is set to 75 degree's or so and it starts to lower on it's own. (No, I haven't been using the "auto" climate control feature). The temperature control doesn't seem to respond to incremental changes. I'm CONSTANTLY chasing around a comfortable temperature setting. 70 degree's can feel perfect until it starts blowing out what feels like80 degree air, or starts dropping off into the low 60's.

Just curious if anyones experienced similar issues and if they've taken it in for a fix.
OMG, I am not the only one!!! I've been fighting this for 2 years... Dealership gives me the run around, saying it's normal...BS

Firepower2010

Reaction score

YES, I have the same issues!!!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

What I've found is that it works great...after 10-15 minutes after startup. We've discussed this in ancient threads, but it's the slowest system to "react" to ambient conditions that I've ever experienced.

Kooch80

Reaction score
i agree with the OP. Mine never works great, that is for sure. the system in my 4th gen ram did work great. big disappointment that Ram messed up a system that did work well in these trucks

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
What I've found is that it works great...after 10-15 minutes after startup. We've discussed this in ancient threads, but it's the slowest system to "react" to ambient conditions that I've ever experienced.
Agree fully.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Nobody's experienced this but you.

I'm kidding :) Here are a few threads comprising thousands of posts:

Not sure if I have a legitimate air conditioning issue... (June 2018)
Air conditioning performance (July 2018)
Air conditioning hack (May 2019)
Yep...Another Air Conditioning Post... (May 2020)

skny

Reaction score
Hate to bring up an old thread, but want to say my 2021 Limited auto climate controls are terrible as well. I remember the first few vehicles I had with Auto Climate Control years ago. I didn't expect them to work well and be in accurate. HOWEVER, that was a long time ago - and, I've owned multiple Jeep/Chrysler/Ram vehicles (3 Wranglers including a '20, a '16 Ram 1500, a '15 Chrysler 300) and auto climate has been great! I've grown to depend on them for being accurate, albeit getting used to slight - but consistent - temp variations. In other words, they've worked consistently with ambient temp & conditions (such as extreme sun here in FL). For the most part, I would keep those vehicles on 1 temp setting (71) and all was good. Occasionally I may have to bump it up or down for extreme ambient temps, but for the most part - 71 was steady, consistent performance and comfort.
On my '21 1500 Limited? Forget it. I am all over the place chasing reasonable comfort - even when my ambient temps & conditions have remained fairly consistent! I find myself giving up and going old school and manually setting the climate settings (temp, fan speed & vent selections) more often than not. I'd hold out hope for "an update" but seeing as this has been complained about since at least 2018, I'm not hopeful. Bummer. Cuz this is the most I've spent on any vehicle and my less expensive vehicles worked very well.

Joshua022

Reaction score
I guess ill join the list of unhappy customers regarding the climate control.. Mine does not even respond to manual changes (10min or so lag). Seems to work great when using auto start the heat will come on full blast and when hot the air comes on super cold but once driving it is terrible, takes an astronomical amount of time for it to make adjustments.

Jp306

Reaction score
Same boat. Obvious problem is there is almost no noticeable change in temperatures between high and low (manual adjustments). Setting just above low is the same temperature out the vent as setting just below high...it's all HOT, no adjustability...I don't get it. Pretty basic idea of being able to pick a comfortable temperature. Wife's Acadia adjusts immediately and will hold the temperature fine. Seems like a reasonable idea haha

Last edited:

Jp306

Reaction score
OMG, I am not the only one!!! I've been fighting this for 2 years... Dealership gives me the run around, saying it's normal...BS
Technically they aren't lying saying it's normal, if it normally sucks *** haha.
I'm experiencing all this as well, and not expecting to get anywhere with the dealer. Hopefully there is a real solution some day!

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On all my cars I have in the air outlet a small 1" diameter thermometer.

I cut a little thumb size piece of foam to stick in-between the louvers for the probe to go though so it almost looks factory installed.

I've tried battery powered but the heat just cooks the little batteries so the old school analog work the best.

I like the Taylor 6075 thermometer the best because it has the smallest range between 25 to 120 degrees so it gives you the highest resolution.

Yes they make thermometers that have a higher temperature range but the Taylor 6075 is the ranges you will be dealing with coming out of the air outlet.

It's good to track trends to see if you might be due for an A/C service or just to know well the system is operating.

1645055372477.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread